Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX 2017 - Roguelikes - RESULTS

Are you butthurt by the results?

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Hello everyone!

After a two-phase process, which included a nomination thread for people who wanted to poll the roguelikes they consider to be "the best" and another voting thread so everyone could voice their opinion on ALL the polled games (good or bad), I'm ready to present you the results. Because I lack felipepepe 's prose and graphic making skills, I'll make it short and post a few charts so the Codex can get butthurt at them.

MOST PLAYED ROGUELIKES

Most_Played.png

As we can see, there's nothing of note here. All the popular names are there, with a few notable exceptions: the seminal example of the genre, Rogue, was surpassed by "Dungeon Hack", a first person dungeon crawler with roguelike elements. Moria, another of the most popular roguelikes ever made, didn't even make it past the nomination phase.

It's interesting to see, and quite a few people got butthurt over it, that Faster Than Light was so high on the list. Then again, this is not a "The ones on top are the best" kind of poll. Especially because, as some users pointed out to me, that they liked multiple games doesn't mean they like them all the same.

MOST POSITIVE VOTES

Most_Enjoyed.png

Again, another chart that, by itself, proves nothing: naturally the most played Roguelikes also happen to be the most popular, for a good reason: they are gud.

MOST NEGATIVE VOTES

Most_Disliked.png

Should I said R.I.P. of the Necrodancer? Clearly the most hated game on the poll, almost everyone who played it disliked it. Only Dungeons of Dredmore matches it, but this rather silly-looking roguelike also has around the same amount of positive votes, so it is indeed a very divisive game

BEST ENJOYMENT RATE

Enjoyment_Rate.png

Ahh, yes. This is what you came here to see, probably. The one statistic to rule them all: just how much of the userbase liked the game? Caves of Qud stands head and shoulders above all: out of 26 users, only ONE disliked it. That was our good friend Jack.

DoomRL (fuck you Zenimax) is right there too, while Incursion completes the podium, although it has only a third of the other two's playerbase. Remember, however, that none of these lists are final: your experience may differ, and these only represent people's particular tastes.

If you want my opinion, I think we should have a final post with only the roguelikes that have been played by half of the Codex, which are:

- ADOM
- FTL
- NetHack
- ToME
- NEO Scavenger
- DCSS

To decide the GREATEST Certified™ Director's Cut Enhanced Edition Remasterized Codex Roguelike. But that's a whole different thing altogether.

And finally, two Excel sheets:

- Individual votes.
- Final results.

Feel free to botcher both as much as you want, because I'm not about to make a super detailed excel for that.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Can't take this poll seriously on account of Dungeons of Dredmor being misspelt.

I'm triggered as well now that you point it out, as I took the time to look up every single game to make sure the name was properly spelt... Oh well.

Severian Silk

I hope now that we've voted we can make roguelikes great again!

Shin

Cipher
Why is Crypt of the Necrodancer so hated? I have a hard time accepting it as a serious roguelike but it's still a fun rhythm game. Couldn't find any threads on the codex on it either.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Final poll without: CoQ, Poschengband and ToME. Not sure if serious.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why is Crypt of the Necrodancer so hated? I have a hard time accepting it as a serious roguelike but it's still a fun rhythm game. Couldn't find any threads on the codex on it either.

Maybe a case of "fun game, bad roguelike"? I think Skyrim is a pretty fun game, but I wouldn't say it is a good RPG.

Final poll without: CoQ, Poschengband and ToME. Not sure if serious.

I'm not going to make one. It's just the most logical way: for there to be Codex consensus, HALF of the voters must have played all the nominated games. Of course, nothing stops people from starting to play Caves of Qud and thus bring its userbase up to speed.

Or, alternatively, make the same poll once again, with all 30-something games, and allowing only vote vote per person. It's just that I don't want some users voting for a game basically no one has played, but who cares.

EDIT: Nigga you didn't even vote, what the fuck are you complaining about

epeli

Arcane
Interesting thread to stumble upon, I thought codex would have more DF and CDDA players.

FFS, Dungeon of Dredmore and Tales of Maj'Eyal are hated? Codex is filled with butthurt hipsters.
It doesn't take a hipster to hate Dungeons of Dredmor. It's too easy and has poor level generation, the levels are very repetitive. Once the humor loses its initial charm there's only a meh game left.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It doesn't take a hipster to hate Dungeons of Dredmor. It's too easy and has poor level generation, the levels are very repetitive. Once the humor loses its initial charm there's only a meh game left.
If it was hated alone I would understand, but having TOME next to it makes it look like the real "issue" is having mouse-drive UI and decent graphics, so that casuals play them and hipsters get mad their cave is being "invaded".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If it was hated alone I would understand, but having TOME next to it makes it look like the real "issue" is having mouse-drive UI and decent graphics, so that casuals play them and hipsters get mad their cave is being "invaded".

Keep in mind though that a lot more people played ToME so it's not like that many people hate it. Plus the individual votes are useful for knowing whether it was the same users, or different ones.

Sin_t_tulo.png

Perkel

Arcane

Because dungeon crawling and dance dance revolution isn't sort of mix that anyone wanted and it frankly doesn't work that great if you don't like rythm games. It feels like someone had to many beers and realized to late it is stupid idea. At least patapon integrated rythm into core of the game while here it is more than annoying and doesn't really feel like it gives anything really other than "this could be better game without rythm part"

Alternative reason is that people couldn't get into tempo.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
TOME is kind of a weird beast in the world of roguelikes, and I'm not gonna deny there are other titles that do a better job at scratching my RL itch. This is mostly because the focus of the game is less on exploration/survival and more on very explosive combat with a bunch of different races and classes, each having an entire repertoire of skills that come with them. It's incredibly content rich, feature rich and most importantly fun. I still play it off and on after all this time to mess around with builds (how many games let you be a skeleton brawler?) despite perhaps lacking some depth in certain staple roguelike elements.

Definitely deserved my vote.

Mozg

Arcane
Why didn't I participate in this? Although it looks like I have basically the generic median Codexer opinions so it wouldn't have changed anything.

It's notable that Moria/Umoria/Angband, despite once being one of the big three roguelikes for like a decade (Nethack/ADOM/Angband) has fallen off the planet, leaving behind Zangband and some DNA in ToME.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
ToME was recommended to me as a great beginners roguelike. After giving it a decent chance for more than 20hrs I came to consider it a boring mindless waste of time. Haven't touched a real roguelike since.

I did try Dredmor at one point. After getting used to its initial charms I came to consider it pretty mindless and boring, too.

I think this genre isn't for me but feel free to recommend me something better.

V_K

Arcane
Legerdemain.
To be anal fair, the original poll option didn't say "Hate" or "Bad game", it said "Didn't like". Semantics matter! I was pretty surprised to see myself give ToME a bad rating, and thought that I misclicked. But then I opened the poll and it all made sense - yes, I didn't like it, it wasn't my cup of tea, but I didn't hate it either.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
To be anal fair, the original poll option didn't say "Hate" or "Bad game", it said "Didn't like". Semantics matter! I was pretty surprised to see myself give ToME a bad rating, and thought that I misclicked. But then I opened the poll and it all made sense - yes, I didn't like it, it wasn't my cup of tea, but I didn't hate it either.

It's true, that was my mistake. I used "Good" and "Bad" on the individual votes Excel only because it was easier for me to write that than to put "Enjoyed it" and "Didn't enjoy it".

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

It's true, that was my mistake. I used "Good" and "Bad" on the individual votes Excel only because it was easier for me to write that than to put "Enjoyed it" and "Didn't enjoy it".

Most games will fall in the category of "good for what it is" for most people, that of being slightly better than "meh" enough to keep playing, but nothing approaching "OMGamazeballs". The eternal problem of having just a binary yes/no choice is that people will assume either love or hate, leaving very little room for average/mediocre/acceptable etc. For this poll I understand the reason for this was likely lack of poll option spaces, but possibly just more another symptom of general laziness?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Most games will fall in the category of "good for what it is" for most people, that of being slightly better than "meh" enough to keep playing, but nothing approaching "OMGamazeballs". The eternal problem of having just a binary yes/no choice is that people will assume either love or hate, leaving very little room for average/mediocre/acceptable etc. For this poll I understand the reason for this was likely lack of poll option spaces, but possibly just more another symptom of general laziness?

Lack of poll option spaces was a real thing, or better said, it would be annoying as fuck because the mods didn't help me with a proper poll.

That said, how much did people enjoy the game is quite frankly pointless. Some users will call a certain game a 10/10, and others will say "it's good enough". To me, it's more important to know that people enjoyed it than "how much" they enjoyed it. For example, someone with VERY high standards is the only person to have played Mission Thunderbolt, and says it's absolute shit. I'd rather have the "didn't enjoy it" tag.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
ToME was recommended to me as a great beginners roguelike. After giving it a decent chance for more than 20hrs I came to consider it a boring mindless waste of time. Haven't touched a real roguelike since.

I did try Dredmor at one point. After getting used to its initial charms I came to consider it pretty mindless and boring, too.

I would recommend trying more hardcore stuff.
ADOM or Cataclysm: DDA are both free.
Don't worry about your characters horrible death; it's part of the game and natural part of the learning process.

Caves of Qud is also excellent, but it's on Steam only.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would recommend trying more hardcore stuff.
ADOM or Cataclysm: DDA are both free.
Don't worry about your characters horrible death; it's part of the game and natural part of the learning process.
This is what I don't understand: why the hell would ADOM be more hardcore than TOME?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom