Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
2015 was a great year.

It was the year of fire... the year of destruction... the year we took back what was ours. It was the year of rebirth... the year of great sadness... the year of pain... and the year of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the year everything changed. The year is 2015. The place: RPG Codex.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
2015 was a great year.

It was the year of fire... the year of destruction... the year we took back what was ours. It was the year of rebirth... the year of great sadness... the year of pain... and the year of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the year everything changed. The year is 2015. The place: RPG Codex.

tumblr_njubuq5_Q111qh1g19o1_500.gif

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Wasteland 2 is a masterpiece compared with PoE. Now that's only my opinion.
I'm not disagreeing with you, didn't even bother to pirate PoE (although I've played Tranny and it's rather bad) but I've finished Wasteland 2 and it was better than I expected (especially the second half).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Pillars has great art. W2 has some cool fights at the prison and some touches of personality and C&C with factions. Overall, W2 is a better game, but my deception was bigger with W2, because I expected more.

Pillars has great art. W2 has some cool fights at the prison and some touches of personality and C&C with factions. Overall, W2 is a better game, but my deception was bigger with W2, because I expected more.

And this is why I am curious how games like W2 or PoE will be rated in 5 years time, when all the expectations about them are low due to the present day recaption.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
What sort of person did not like PoE

hello friend

nice to meet you

Ok. To be fair I played PoE before PST, BG, BG2 or any of the others RTwP games.

I was a virgin and it was my first time.

I read your review about 100 times before I even bought the game and bought it anyway. I even read your Opus on the state of game writers and I agree with everything you said.

I still played it and LOVED it and somewhere deep inside me I want to play it again.

But then again I HATE the WITCHERS with a burning fire and thought Alpha Protocol was complete manure.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

And this is why I am curious how games like W2 or PoE will be rated in 5 years time, when all the expectations about them are low due to the present day recaption.

First, I think they are bad games, period. With expectations or not, I think any person with proper standards would think the same way. Second, while expectations and quality are different things, I don’t think it is possible to separate the two in a cultural sense, at least until one generation is replaced by the other. You see this all the time. NWN 2: SoZ and DA:O were much better received than they would be today because they were released in times of shortage. Of course, for me this doesn’t make any sense, since I played NWN2 and its expansions in few months years ago, but try telling that to someone who didn’t have nothing to play at that time. Of course, you just need a new and ignorant generation to “clean” these cultural preconceptions, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
The Codex doesn't strike me as being particularly fringe when it comes to CRPG tastes. There is a sufficiently wide variety of opinions here to see significant fan populations for both AoD and the Witcher 3, for example. But above all, the proof is in how much time, effort, and digital ink the Codex devotes to Obsidian and other medium sized developers, but especially Obsidian. As I said in the past, I like to think of the Codex as primarily a refuge for Interplay and Black Isle Studio fans, as well as Bioware fans who became disgusted by their direction in the last ten years. Most of us grew up during the isometric CRPG Renaissance, and once crossed paths at the Interplay, Black Isle Studio, and Bioware forums, until censorship shut all that down.

Doesn't surprise me at all that 80% of the Codex played Pillars of Eternity. That was supposed to be the game that proved Obsidian was Black Isle Studio born again. Unfortunately, it was born without a soul.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What sort of person did not like PoE

hello friend

nice to meet you

I'm playing it again and it seems much better now with the White March expansion and the changes that they made. The beginning still kinda sucks and so do the mages - I even kicked out Aloth in favor of having two Rangers with wolves acting as unkillable meat shields.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My only regret is that I didn't try out Underrail until after voting closed, therefore I'm unable to give it a 1.

It's there in spirit though.

Played more, changed my mind, only the beginning is bad. It now gets a spiritual 4.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
So felipepepe will be joining me for next Saturday's show (Feb 11th at 1 PM Central) to discuss the poll.

He's totally hardcore... it will be 4 AM in the morning Sunday his time in Tokyo. Felipe don't play!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This coming before Monday? I wish to enjoy the butthurt.
Wednesday, apparently.

So felipepepe will be joining me for next Saturday's show (Feb 11th at 1 PM Central) to discuss the poll.

He's totally hardcore... it will be 4 AM in the morning Sunday his time in Tokyo. Felipe don't play!
Sleep is for casuals. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom