Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: RPG Codex; RPG Codex Awards

LAST CHANCE TO VOTE BEFORE POLL CLOSES - VOTE TODAY!

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the RPG Codex 2016 GOTY voting!

But not only that! It has now been 5 years since 2012, the year that gave us Legend of Grimrock, reviving an RPG genre dead since the mid 90's, and the Kickstarter craze - Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, The Banner Saga, Legends of Eisenwald, Barkley 2, Dead State, Paper Sorcerer, SHAKER and many more all appeared in 2012, teaching Codexers the meaning of "hope".

source.gif

We soon also learned the meaning of "delay", "disappointment", "scam", "regret", "cancel my pledge", etc... but the point stands: 2012 marks the start of what many call The Age of Incline - BioWare/Bethesda's oligopoly was shattered, great indie & mid-sized devs started to appear, ports, releases and translations started to flood Steam & GOG and there was much rejoice.

So it's about time we inspect that legacy and see just how great this so-called "Age of Incline" really was and what are its highlights. Thus, this year's voting span 2012-2016, and we ask you to patiently check this rather long list and rate all the games you played from this era:

TL;DR - VOTE HERE: http://www.rpgcodex.net/goty_vote.php

The voting will run until Feb 1st, when our brave team of analysts will collect the data, sort it out and manipulate the numbers until their favorite games win.

Hope you all loved Lightning Returns. :shittydog:

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
2014 was the only year worth a damn.

Are you supposed to vote 5 (GOTY) even if the game doesn't deserve a 5, but is still GOTY? Perhaps it would have been better with a one-choice option on the side for which game was GOTY.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2014 was the only year worth a damn.

Are you supposed to vote 5 (GOTY) even if the game doesn't deserve a 5, but is still GOTY? Perhaps it would have been better with a one-choice option on the side for which game was GOTY.
DU wrote that "Sucks-Best of the Year" scale description... Something like "Hated it-Loved it" would've been more accurate. You can vote 5 for more than one game each year, no big deal.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Did my duty. Man, not a lot of games that I enjoyed, much less finished.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Why is it Nuclear Throne on the list but not the vastly superior Binding of Isaac?

duanth123

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Why is it Nuclear Throne on the list but not the vastly superior Binding of Isaac?
Because Isaac is from 2011?

header.jpg

2014 and new engine, new content, new expansions.....

Stay strong, felipepepe. If you start including remakes/remasters then there'll be no argument against

Realms of Arkania HD and Dungeon Lords XXX: Return of Xander Cage

I usually agree but in this case it is more of a disguised sequel. Changed art style, changed music, new story content, stupid amounts of new items. I say this has someone who has hundreds of hours in both versions. They feel like different games, the new engine bypasses the limitations of flash, the movement is also quite different which has a huge impact.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
This was an emotional experience. It turns out I played very few games since my hopes were raised so long ago, and most of those I did play were disappointing. It's good I have a support group to help me out in my time of need.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2014 and new engine, new content, new expansions.....
As a rule of thumb I avoided listing games twice like D:OS + DO:S Director's Cut simply because of what a slippery slope it is... half the list would be remasters otherwise, and it would likely split the votes.

Also left Shadow Tactics out because the Codex never really considered Commandos-like games RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom