Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
stuffies about gamergate, also fix quoting DU, really
Wow you really crack me up sometimes

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's some impressive grade inflation right there, especially if you consider all the 1 votes on DA:I, Sacred, etc. Have we finally arrived at the point when the Codex likes almost every RPG that comes out?
I guess it is more like a sign of people being able to anticipate if they will enjoy a game based on previews, reviews, videos and forum discussions. Noone wants to play games that they'd rate below average afterwards, we all want stuff we enjoy.
Therefore I'd be much more suspicious if the average was 3.
Didn't vote btw, didn't feel like I'm qualified, since except for D:OS and Heroine Quest (both with well deserved results in the poll imo) I barely played any new CRPGs this year.

Stelcio

Savant
Yeah, it was a silly mistake, but it could indeed be a big one. Is good to have people nitpicking for flaws, no matter the motivation.
The thing is that he only found the error because he got so obsessive and personal about it that he bothered to look into formula and search for errors like crazy. We put him over the edge with our righteous dismissing of his rants and only this made him find something valid to make his point (still hardly, he found the error, but didn't put the formula into doubt). Before that he was just all "this poll was stupid" bullshit. Just my $0.02.

Yeah, but if I use 7, 50 or 200 the results differ. So arbitrarily deciding which to use after the poll would be blatant manipulation. I had no idea we would reach +1200 votes, so going for the lowest number felt reasonable at the time.
You could use percentage of overall votes for it. Like 0.5% would make circa 60 for this poll.

I've meant stealth as in "aproaching enemy while being undetected" not literally using "stealth" abillity. What would it change anyway besides making them fail half of the time?
And I've meant stealth as both sides mechanics with both sides counterchecks. Approaching from behind is just one possible outcome. The mechanics create possibility to be randomly pickpocketed for instance.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Next time I propose to have a vote on what of the proposed titles are indeed RPGs and which are not to avoid such travesty.

Cadmus

Arcane
I voted for D:OS with a 4, MMX with a 4 and WL2 with a 3. Too bad I hadn't played S:DF before voting, I would have voted 4, too. Good work on the poll, I like that it accounted at least a little for people playing mostly the biggest games because it helped show that while WL2 was played a lot it also sucked ass a lot and I was fully expecting it to win the 1st or 2nd place because of the popularity alone. (the neutral kind of popularity, you fucking spergs)

Cadmus

Arcane
I gave it a 3 because it was a big, fluffy RPG that failed to be fun but did try and I think 3 should mean "average, meh" I wouldn't give Skyrim 0,5 because it's irredeemable shit.
I'll replay it when it's all patched up and ready.

throwaway

Cipher
Having another look at the numbers I'm honestly a bit surprised by how the number of votes for Dead State and Risen 3 (ignore the irrelevant SouthPark) are comparable to those for weeaboo drivel. I know PB's reputation has been decreasing for a long while but I'd expect at least Brian Mitsoda to attract significantly more attention (fwiw, I'm as disinterested in a zombie game as anyone), it seems the :desu:contingent in the codex is a lot bigger than I expected, more importantly my perception was that it was dwarfed by the action-exploration RPG one.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Brian wasted lot of the attention along the years in pointless arguments and fake "updates". I should know, I was his #1 FanBoy at ITS forums back in the day.

Yet I didn't give up money for the Kickstarter or Early Access. Because he talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. Though that's an laughably simplified version of events.

profreshinal

Arcane
Having another look at the numbers I'm honestly a bit surprised by how the number of votes for Dead State and Risen 3 (ignore the irrelevant SouthPark) are comparable to those for weeaboo drivel. I know PB's reputation has been decreasing for a long while but I'd expect at least Brian Mitsoda to attract significantly more attention (fwiw, I'm as disinterested in a zombie game as anyone), it seems the :desu:contingent in the codex is a lot bigger than I expected, more importantly my perception was that it was dwarfed by the action-exploration RPG one.

Those Jrpgs are often rereleases of 5+ year old console games while DS, R3, SP etc had their initial realease this year. It's likely that a large amount of those Jrpg voters played these games on consoles or emulators pre-2014 and somewhat inflate the perceived popularity of those titles. Still Dead State (released December 2014) has twice as much votes as the best scoring Jrpg: Tits which has had over 10 years since it's first release.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I fucked up so I should start with an apology to all the offended parties. Especially felipepepe.

However there is one actual problem which remains with this survey: The value of m cannot be 7.

Because is equivalent to state that the opinion of 7 voters for Legends of Persia has the same weight as the opinion of 906 voters for Divinity:Original Sin.

Also the mathematical argumentation is that the method will throw-in the average score for the least voted games which is an unfair advantage when compared to the most voted games.

This behavior can be seen in the figure below:

16115395599_4af563ddab_o.png

All the results above are valid based on the which m you are predisposed to choose.

And based on the results above we can say the following things:
Divinity: Original Sin is the most appreciated RPG game.
Shadownrun: Dragonfall is the second most appreciated RPG game.
We don't know shit about the rest of the games.

Sorry, but I cannot share the opinion that this is an excellent job and I still think this is a major fucked up situation.

Edit: The methodology is subjective. I know that probably felipepepe did not intend for this but he actually made the top subjective as well when he chose 5 or 7 as the min number of votes. Therefore my retarded comment that this is felipepepe's top is somehow correct.

Last edited:

hiver

:nocountryforshitposters: And when i told you who are the biggest intellectual faggots around here you didnt believe me.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Compare with:

The comparison above shows that my original custom-ass methodology provided comparable results with the Bayesian average when m>50.

However nobody really wanted to discuss that.

Thanks for posting it.

EDIT: One more thing. My method was not subjective.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Because is equivalent to state that the opinion of 7 voters for Legends of Persia has the same weight as the opinion of 906 voters for Divinity:Original Sin.
Not really. For example, here I altered Legends of Persia votes for something way more positive than D:OS, with only 4/5 and 5/5 votes:

gniII34.png

Had the poll been just a simple average, Legends of Persia would win easily. However, even with a higher % of 5/5 ratings and higher average score, the Bayesian Av. pulls it down by 0,54 points. It wouldn't even make into the current Top 3. Even if ALL 7 votes were 5/5, it would still be bellow D:OS.

And this is a game with 7 votes, clearly an outlier. The problem is not the Bayesian Av., but including those games in the results (not that they were included, but they could have been). We should simply had established previously a minimum % for a game to be eligible for an award, such as 5% or 10% of the total votes.

All the results above are valid based on the which m you are predisposed to choose.
I agree 100%. That's why I kept m as the smallest amount of votes, like in the IMDB formula. Choosing any other value during or after the voting would mean changing the results arbitrarily.

Here again a solution would be to set a % value for m before the poll begins. Same idea, m = 5% or 10% of total votes.

But this is statistics, and there will be always room for the debate. tuluse and I were discussing a more complex methodology and our results differed because of the way we calculated the standard deviation - one manhattan, the other euclidean. I think that the Bayesian Av. strikes a nice balance between being too simple (easily manipulated) and too complex (full of arguable methodologies). If we set the m previously, there are no methodological variables.

This is the kind of debate that helps to push things forward. Saying "it sucks" doesn't lead us nowhere, we have to know the issues to find solutions to them. And, of course, if you have any suggestion of a better methodology, just say it. I proposed to do it this way because of how rich the data is and how simple it would be to conduct & analyze the result, but I'm not against trying something different...

Last edited:

hiver

Youre too nice felipepepe, you and everyone know very well it isnt about any fucking methodology but about two or three imbeciles who wanted W2 to show better then OS in a poll and there is nothing else to it.
The only way those cheap :avatard: will be satisfied is if you tailor a poll so w2 wins.

Stop pretending it isnt so.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I get no Dragon Age 3 (I think it's averageish myself). No Wasteland 2 though? But, D:OS over it? FUCK OFF CODEX.:ibelieveincleve:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom