Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You should play it then and compare combat to AoD one. In AoD you have WAY more options and combat is one of the main reasons why it's so good.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The skill system is very Fallout-ish, the combat is an upgraded version of Fallout, but AoD always felt first and foremost as an extremely elaborate CYOA game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Um, crafting? Stealth?
These are commonly present in RPGs. The stealth is just an improved Fallout version of it (combination of Desperados/Commandos detection system and Fallout sneak ability) and crafting isn't that elaborate - in AoD you also have that plus alchemy (though even Witcher has it).

Stelcio

Savant
Nearly everything was present in games in some or other form. Reactive, branching narrative as well, to mention Alpha Protocol, Fallout series, Mass Effect series, Witcher series, Telltale games, some other adventure games as well. It's not a unique feature of AoD by any means. What may be called unique is the way it is done.

That's also the case with Underrail. Stealth system is unique because unlike most games it's used by adversaries as well and you can be surprised with a hit from behind if your perception check fails. Seen this in tactical squad games, but not in traditional RPGs.

As for the crafting, it is based on three resources - skills, recipes and components. You have to have each to craft certain item. Components also come in many types and in some recipes depending on which type of component was used the final item varies in properties. Additionaly to that some components are optional, i.e. you can craft an item without them, but adding them will give the item additional properties. Those enhancements can also be added to existing items, so you can buy basic item if you happen to have cool upgrade to it, instead of crafting the item by yourself (not sure if this works with ammo though). And you call that system "not that elaborate"? Seriously?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are we really evaluating how innovative a game is based on what you could check on a feature list?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Nice poll, good job on the organizers, interesting methodology that apparently took some research

but

while the list looks interesting and full of variety at first, looking at the actual votes gives me the impression of an unsorted dump of titles.

You have LISA at position 16, yet it only has 17 votes total, and only 13 are actually positive. That is clearly an outlier. As are all the titles with minimal votes (let's say 10-20).

It's not much better with the games that got 100-200 votes, e.g. Legend of Heroes at position 7 with 139 votes, when the most anticipated games have many times more votes.

I guess Bayesian average tries to compensate for a low amount of votes, by extrapolating what the votes would have been if there were more of them, but that is just speculation. It seems to me that not playing and not rating a title, cannot be taken into account in any meaningful way.Worse, I would hazard that not playing a title, is a sign of lack of interest, therefore if it was actually played, it could very well get bad to medium ratings.

Don't try to explain math to retards. I was flamed for saying the same thing.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
We're not trying to find what games are the most popular, we're trying to find which games people liked the most.

WL2 was played by a lot of people, but it was also found mediocre by a good percentage of them.

popular = regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general

Mental gymnastic much?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=8401

RPG Codex has released their top picks for PC RPGs of 2014, including audience picks, editor’s votes, and individual editor picks. They also have a short list of the most anticipated releases for 2015.

RPG Codex 2014 Game of the Year Awards

Not exactly the same picks, but a very similar grouping from RPGWatch’s choices. And my own.

Everything I said yesterday applies equally here. But here’s something else worth commenting on: For those of you familiar with the site, RPG Codex is not noted for their optimism about the state of the genre (or gaming in general). Or for watering down their opinion for the sake of politeness. They are a passionate and knowledgeable crowd, although their preferences are nowhere in the same zip code from each other sometimes.

From the opening paragraph, you get this:

“I took the liberty of calling them Role-Playing Games of the Year, because we’ve finally had a year that didn’t suck balls. In fact, this year has been so good that one of the most common issues has been people not having time to play all the titles.”​

For RPG Codex, this is pretty dang complimentary. If that doesn’t signal a potential sea change for the genre, I’m not sure what does.

But I’ll join them in hoping this trend continues.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"very similar" grouping to rpg watch? huuuuuh.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The shootings in Paris were one of the most popular subjects this week... I guess they are regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general.

Never guess ... especially with numbers.

By the way, let me show you how incompetent you are.

I used the standard formula that IMDB employs, using the lowest number of votes as algorithm so that every game has a fair chance.

Well the actual formula is described at the bottom of this link:

The formula for calculating the Top Rated 250 Titles gives a true Bayesian estimate:

weighted rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C

Where:
  • R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating)
  • v = number of votes for the movie = (votes)
  • m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250 (currently 25000)
  • C = the mean vote across the whole report (currently 7.0)
For the Top 250, only votes from regular voters are considered.

I will ignore the line saying "only votes from regular voters are considered" because it's clearly that you don't know the meaning of that line. It's something related to the quality of results.

The only problem with your survey is that you did not implement the formula above.

And you know why?

The generic form of the formula is: WR = (C*m + R *v) / v + m and you implemented this: WR = (3 * 5 + R * v) / (5 + v) where C = 3 and m = 5.

There are two mistakes:
C - refers to the mean vote across the whole report which means that is the mean for the averages of all games. Free clue: C is not 3.
m - refers to the minimum number of votes required for this top. Free clue: m is not 5.

In reality: C = 3.19 and m = 7 which means that the correct Bayesian average formula is WR = (3.19 * 7 + R *v) / (7 + v)

And you know what happens to the top ten:

TITLE BAYESIAN AV.
1 Divinity: Original Sin 4,23
2 Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut 4,14
3 Wasteland 2 4,00
4 NEO Scavenger 3,98
5 Legend of Grimrock II 3,96
6 Valkyria Chronicles 3,92
7 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok 3,90
8 Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3,86
9 Tales of Maj'Eyal : Ashes of Uhr'Rohk 3,81
10 Lords of Xulima 3,78

This is the correct top. You pathetic shit.

Now, you can flame me and blow me together with your big circle-jerk.

But bottom line is this: My numbers are correct and this survey might be one of the biggest fiasco ever witnessed in this den of scum and villainy ...

I'm waiting for you witty and retarded reply. Can you admit that you fucked up?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
And for the record: It was never about Wasteland 2.

What really bothered me is the fact that the survey is really shit and Codex should not settle for shit ... fucking up on such a scale is seriously damaging to the prestige.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh my, after three days of empty rage you actually have a point! Yes, I made a mistake, I uploaded the table with the temp. Bayesian formula I was using during the voting. This mistake happened due to one reason: the results are the same.

Your formula is wrong; you used the average of averages, but it should be the average of all votes - which is 3,48. So the correct formula is WR = (3,48 * 7 + R *v) / (7 + v). And when you apply that, these are the results:

2EMfmVm.png

Is exactly the same order and almost the same result (a 0,02 variation at most), but W2 ties with Grimrock 2 in 5th instead with HQ in 4th. (I'll refrain from adding a snarky comment here)

I indeed did a big mistake: I checked the order of the games but only glanced at the numbers before posting and ended up using an older sheet. My bad, I apologize. Still, we only awarded the Top 3, and those remain the same, so I wouldn't call this a "prestige damaging fuck up".

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We should let inXile know about this before they make a big announcement about getting 4th place.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh my, after three days of empty rage you actually have a point! Yes, I made a mistake, I uploaded the table with the temp. Bayesian formula I was using during the voting. This mistake happened due to one reason: the results are the same.

Your formula is wrong; you used the average of averages, but it should be the average of all votes - which is 3,48. So the correct formula is WR = (3,48 * 7 + R *v) / (7 + v). And when you apply that, these are the results:

2EMfmVm.png

Is exactly the same order and almost the same result (a 0,02 variation at most), but W2 ties with Grimrock 2 in 5th instead with HQ in 4th. (I'll refrain from adding a snarky comment here)

I indeed did a big mistake: I checked the order of the games but only glanced at the numbers before posting and ended up using an older sheet. My bad, I apologize. Still, we only awarded the Top 3, and those remain the same, so I wouldn't call this a "prestige damaging fuck up".

I'm done. Going to beat myself.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Bayesian Thunderdome: two men enter, one man leaves. Just another day at the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom