Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Weasel
I guess it's a sign of the times that the butthurt never amounted to much more than some sperging over where WL2 should have finished.

But next year... a poll containing PoE, Underrail, AoD, TW3...

and Grimoire :M

All with their fanatical supporters and detractors. It's going to be glorious.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
BTW, I have one question for those still reading this thread:

Why was Bound by Flame scored so low? I know it's a low-budget BioWare wannabe, but I was surprised to see it at #51, next to Deus Ex: the Fall...
It's short, linear, boring and with choices but no consequences. The fighting comes down to using 2 buttons (dodge and attack), i.e. it's a mindless (and boring) clickfest. As for C&C, you have options like "to free or not to free" except that even if you choos not to free you free anyway :D. "To kill or not to kill" - if you choose not to kill you kill anyway but with different companion and so on. There are also romances here and all in all it's shit.

Edit:
felipepepe
BTW, you should add poll results to your handbook (not this poll of course).

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
wikipedia said:
Bound by Flame received mixed reviews. It was criticized for its lack of deeper character development, relationship building with party members, bad Artificial Intelligence, short length, and poor combat that gives the game an unnecessary difficulty.

wikipedia said:
"...you're asked to enter a name for your character—a name that is then summarily ignored by the game's supporting cast... This identity crisis may seem a minor detail, but it is a head-scratcher of an issue in a role-playing game full of head-scratchers

Would not even pirate.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I foresee AoD getting a lot of mediocre-to-negative votes, putting it in the top 3 is a very bold (and fewlish) move.

Stelcio

Savant
I would say AOD will come on top.
Only handfull of player will finish it, but they will all vote 5/5.
That can only be the case if the voting rules will state "vote only if you've finished the game". Otherwise what with all those who will bounce off the game's undeniable challenge? They will most likely rate the game lower than that.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think i would vote for a game i didn't finished.
The vote wouldn't be fair.

What??

So if you have spent 2 hours on a game, and you think its complete crap, and not at all what was promised, you will either not give it a negative review, or you will force yourself to a week of gaming agony, just to you can give it 1/5? :retarded:

naossano

Cipher
I won't force myself a week of gaming agony either, but i won't vote for it.
There is no way i could tell if the game gets better later.
And there are so many game that have increase/decrease of quality after a while.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Nor will Age of Decadence.
Nah, I think it will be out in 2015 but not in May as VD says but in November/December. Anyway, it's already the best game since Fallout 1 so I don't see how it could lose to any other game, especially the ones that bring (almost) nothing new to the table (Underrail is a Fallout rip-off, PoE Baldur's and Torment...) - and the originality was one of the main reasons why DOS won this competition judging by the comments in this thread. On the other hand Wasteland was looked down upon by many because "it took no risks" (though I suspect that those who haven't finished it had problems with difficulty, after all if you made your party with shitty stats you would be stuck).

Athelas

Arcane
Praising Age of Decadence for following in Fallout's footsteps while simultaneously calling Underrail a Fallout ripoff (and the other games ripoffs as well). :hmmm:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Praising Age of Decadence for following in Fallout's footsteps while simultaneously calling Underrail a Fallout ripoff (and the other games ripoffs as well). :hmmm:
the best game since Fallout == following in Fallout's footsteps (???)
Learn to read with comprehension.

Athelas

Arcane
Now you're just being silly. Age of Decadence is heavily influenced by Fallout and follows the same mold (single-player turn-based, heavily skill-based). There aren't many games that follow the Fallout template at all (almost all games with turn-based combat let you control a party, a complete pacifist route is still a rarity in RPG's, etc.). You were obviously praising that particular aspect of Age of Decadence when you said 'the best game since Fallout'.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Now you're just being silly. Age of Decadence is heavily influenced by Fallout and follows the same mold (single-player turn-based, heavily skill-based).
You're being silly for jumping to baseless conclusions.

And while it's true that it is heavily influenced by Fallout it's more than Fallout in sewers and instead of copy/paste job we have multitude of original ideas. What's so unique about Underrail besides psi abilities and oddity system? It's not a bad thing that it copies from the best (and does it well), AoD is just something more. Show me another game where you can see the story from entirely different perspectives? I would like to play another one like that.

Athelas

Arcane
Apparently, it has gameplay that isn't complete shit (I wouldn't know, I'm waiting for the full release).

You're being silly for jumping to baseless conclusions.
Not baseless. Your opinion of what a good RPG is obviously informed by the fact that you find Fallout to be the best RPG. Unsurprisingly, an RPG that was heavily inspired by Fallout is according to you 'the best game since Fallout'. Not exactly rocket science.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom