Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Dev_Anj

Learned
I have not played South Park, but South Park game = shit. Like there's even an alternative.

Nice way to talk about a game you didn't play. Hell, I don't care about South Park, or JRPGs in general, yet I feel that to talk completely fairly about a game, you do need to play a game or learn a lot about it beforehand. You can of course say that it doesn't look appealing, or it's probably going to be very bad, or you don't like those types of games so you probably won't like it either, but that's not the same as saying that it's definitely a bad game.

Lokithepunishr

Barely Literate
Xulima didn't make it? Wow, it's not like I have faith in gamers' opinions but this is just sad. Despite being an average game it's better than 99% of other "RPG" games that have been released recently.

And yes, first post, new fag, worthless opinions, etc

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's clear the no.1 game of the year that everyone feels most passionately about is arguing on this thread. :troll:

Dev_Anj

Learned
It's clear the no.1 game of the year that everyone feels most passionately about is arguing on this thread. :troll:

No, the No 1. game of the year is clearly debating about the validity of using Bayesian distributions for a poll. Clearly, this poll was actually a plot to experiment the effects of using Bayesian distribution by the Codexian branch of the Illuminati. We are all clearly nothing but lab rats in their elaborate schemes. All fear the staff of the Codex!

:P

Now apparently the Qunari are an incloosive group that assigns transsexuals to their gender of choice (which doesn't square at all with Sten's commentary and incredulous reactions to Leliana fighting)

The incloosiveness has a practical purpose, like the rest of their society. If it's more efficient to assign someone to a certain role they don't have an issue with it.

Qunari strongly believe that the genders are inherently and intuitively better at certain tasks. No matter how much aptitude and promise a male shows for management, he will never be considered as good at it as a female, therefore it would be considered inefficient and a waste of resources to place him in a role where a woman might serve better. Instead, the Tamassrans find another role that he shows aptitude for and will place him there instead. The same goes for females, most Qunari will find it odd if a female becomes a warrior. The odd, very rare exception is made however. A male Qunari will farm if he must, just as a female will fight, depending on the circumstance. If a female shows sincere interest to and outstanding talent at fighting, she will be considered male, regardless of her biological gender. For the Qunari, gender is a secondary trait compared to their duty to the Qun.

Of course, in a way this means he sees Leliana as a tranny :troll:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Alpha Protocol fans should not be allowed to talk shit about Might & Magic...

:butthurt:
2mr9tg1.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Make no sense to me, Wasteland 2 is far better game than any other game in the list.

Some people in this thread have openly admitted to voting 23+ times in the poll. Just ignore it and use the RPGWatch one instead.

acolyte

Educated
Nice poll, good job on the organizers, interesting methodology that apparently took some research

but

while the list looks interesting and full of variety at first, looking at the actual votes gives me the impression of an unsorted dump of titles.

You have LISA at position 16, yet it only has 17 votes total, and only 13 are actually positive. That is clearly an outlier. As are all the titles with minimal votes (let's say 10-20).

It's not much better with the games that got 100-200 votes, e.g. Legend of Heroes at position 7 with 139 votes, when the most anticipated games have many times more votes.

I guess Bayesian average tries to compensate for a low amount of votes, by extrapolating what the votes would have been if there were more of them, but that is just speculation. It seems to me that not playing and not rating a title, cannot be taken into account in any meaningful way.Worse, I would hazard that not playing a title, is a sign of lack of interest, therefore if it was actually played, it could very well get bad to medium ratings.

Anyway, just to see what the most played games were, I sorted them be number of votes (ignoring less than about 200 votes):
D:OS 906
W2 813
Dragonfall 606
BannerSaga 510
Blackguards 492
DA:I 458
SouthPark 441
MMX 433
DarkSouls2 414
GrimrockII 347
DiabloIII:Ros 313
DeadState 274
Xulima 271
Xenonauts 270
NEO 198
Risen3 194
which I find much more indicative of the trend in the forums (but since I'm a lurker, I could be mistaken).

Generally, I disagree with positive and negative voting in the same poll (maybe separate polls to vote for best / worst titles), and anonymous voting. I also find the staff poll simple and more to the point. But that's just me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
acolyte

We're not trying to find what games are the most popular, we're trying to find which games people liked the most.

WL2 was played by a lot of people, but it was also found mediocre by a good percentage of them.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
People seem to have a lot of trouble grasping this... is not a poll about popularity, it's about perceived quality. More people played Dragon Age: Inquisition than Xulima and NEO Scavenger combined, does this mean that DA:I is vastly superior to those games? Of course not, it simply had a lot of spotlight and a lot more people were curious enough to try it. NEO Scavenger is extremely obscure and was released just a month ago, it would never have a change against the big titles.

If you want to make a poll by popularity, fine, but this was never the intent here.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, I have one question for those still reading this thread:

Why was Bound by Flame scored so low? I know it's a low-budget BioWare wannabe, but I was surprised to see it at #51, next to Deus Ex: the Fall...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You basically appointed yourself the only authority to judge which votes are correct and which are incorrect.

And if this survey was such an outstanding job why the fuck did you had to massage the data? You little shit.

This survey should be called "Felipepepe's 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards" and that's it. This crap is not representative of the codex votes.
Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo-stick, you're a dumb bastard.

But keep on trucking, this thread is highly amusing!

:bravo:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom