Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Routine - Upcoming First Person Space Horror

anus_pounder

Arcane
Dunno bros, this game seems like it might end up being pretty routine.

Silva

Arcane
Im playing Dead Space right now and Im finding it interesting. Looks like a fan homage to the old System Shocks. They nailed the atmosphere perfectly. Dont know if Ill try the second one though, Im on chapter 4 and its starting to get formulaic and tiresome.

Silva

Arcane
Finished it. My first impression is kept: a nice and valid homage to System Shock 2, but little else beyond that. Atmosphere is top notch and worth the experience, though the last third drags like fuck.

DraQ

Arcane
Already on my "incredibly promising" list.

My first impression is kept: a nice and valid homage to System Shock 2, but little else beyond that. Atmosphere is top notch and worth the experience, though the last third drags like fuck.
Actually I agree with "SS2 homage" part, but it failed on atmosphere (at least as far as actual fear is concerned - it did get pretty creepy at times) part.
Still, it nailed 0g and vacuum and provided some slightly new take on shooting space zombies as far as mechanics went - can't complain, would definitely buy if not for DRM.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Routine_WP1_1920x1080.jpg

TripJack

Hedonist
is this vaporware or are these devs just level 99 grandmaster cockteases, over a year since that last video and all we have is a couple blurry screenshots and a desktop wallpaper :cry:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

http://www.lunar-software.com/2015/03/march-status-update/

With GDC just over and a lots of awesome Gaming news about, we thought it would be a fitting time to make a small update on how Routine is doing.

In our last August Update, we talked about how we were slowly going through the game and replacing all placeholder work. Since then, we’ve managed to get through 5 sectors of the Game, adding Gameplay, Art and essential Story Elements. We may need to revisit certain bits and bobs as we get specific playtest information back, but for now its a great feeling seeing more and more of Routine being Completed!

With less and less testing/prototyping needed for this stage in Development, we’ve really managed to speed up our Workflow and it feels like Progress is going better than ever.

(click to enlarge)

• Unreal Engine 4 is FREE! will you guys be switching to it?

Routine is far too deep into development for us to switch engines but we can’t bloody wait to get our hands on it for future projects!

Are you guys dead?

Unsurprisingly we get this question a lot, we don’t blame anyone for thinking this as we are very quiet when it comes to putting out Routine related news. We are doing fine though and Routine’s progress is going great.

Will you guys be putting out a new video at some point?

We will absolutely do a new video or two closer to release.

(click to enlarge)

Thanks again for the INSANE amount of patience you guys are exercising, we are honestly trying our best to get the game finished as soon as possible!

-Lunar Software

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I get slighty Afterfall Insanity vibes here.
At least A:I was hilarious.

Not sure though if these effects are better than bloom/HDR. Visibility is better but still - it's fucking ugly and good thing I don't have powerful GPU, otherwise I would rage that all power go for shit.

Last edited:

Sodafish

Arcane
Why does every game now have to use that faux chromatic aberration effect? It looks fucking horrible.

Machocruz

Arcane
That's 'photorealism' for you. Include all the aberrations introduced by the camera, copy what you see in movies. Can't wait to see all the lens flare they have in store for us.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Finally, a status update!
http://www.lunar-software.com/2015/12/december-status-update/

The holidays are just around the corner, and while we can’t quite give you the game yet (sorry) we would love to give you an update on what’s been going on.

A few months ago we talked about going through the game replacing all of the placeholder art, were happy to say that now we are doing the big second pass on all environments and core gameplay features. While the first pass put in a huge chunk of the game and removed all placeholder work, the second pass has been all about adding the small little details that really make the game feel complete. It has been a very slow process for us but we are working as much as we can to get Routine to a polished state that we are all happy with.

We really enjoy and appreciate all of the comments you guys send us and were really sorry that we can’t always reply to them or give you more meaningful updates. We are currently putting 100% of our time into development and it does sometimes mean that we don’t get to talk to you guys as much as we would want to. We promise that once we get closer to release we will be a bigger presence on Steam and Facebook.

However we are a lot more active on our twitter accounts and while it may not always be Routine related it’s a handy way to just check our pulse.

• So why is the game taking so long to finish?
Routine is our first project as a team and while we do have some previous experience individually this has been a huge undertaking where we have clearly underestimated a lot of the workload. We are happy with everything we have learnt and we are still completely committed to releasing something that we are all proud of and hopefully something that you will all enjoy.

• I don’t like some of those effects you are using, can I remove them?
YES! A lot of our effects such as Chromatic Aberration, DOF, Film Grain and Bloom are all settings that you can change or completely disable.

• Are you guys still looking into adding an FOV slider?
This is a pretty frequent request and we are happy to say that you’re now able to adjust the FOV from 70 to 110.

• Is there any chance I can playtest the game?
At the moment we are keeping all of our testing local, we doubt this will ever change but we will be sure to let everyone know if it does.

RT_Hydroponics_Dec2015.jpg

RT_Warehouse_Dec2015.jpg

RT_Vents_Dec2015.jpg

circ

Arcane
Why is there blur in every single screenshot? Moreso toward the edges. I would get nausea after a minute in motion. No, you do not get either blur or obvious black sections wearing a visor, unless it's smeared with vaseline, but that still wouldn't explain the black sections. Here's a quick test: squint your eyes as much as you can. See the black bars? That's you squinting, you wouldn't squint with a helmet, and the grey film are eyelashes, not very distinct is it developers? Morans. Always morans.

Venser

Erudite
I almost forgot about it already. First it was like Routine vs Alien Isolation, then Routine vs Soma and now it's just Routine.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's the problem with indie development: when you announce the game, it sounds fresh and cool, and then other people release games with similar ideas, they get the praise, people play them, and when you finally release your game after years of development, no one remembers or cares about it anymore.

lightbane

Arcane
Why is there blur in every single screenshot? Moreso toward the edges. I would get nausea after a minute in motion. No, you do not get either blur or obvious black sections wearing a visor, unless it's smeared with vaseline, but that still wouldn't explain the black sections. Here's a quick test: squint your eyes as much as you can. See the black bars? That's you squinting, you wouldn't squint with a helmet, and the grey film are eyelashes, not very distinct is it developers? Morans. Always morans.

It seems to be a common trend lately that first person horror games feature protagonists with poor eyesight and/or eyesight problems, in order to enforce "horror". One of the most annoying examples I can think of is the "blinking meter" from games like that SCP Containment Breach. While the original intention was to make you way of certain monsters able to move when you're not looking at them, it also makes you wonder what's wrong with the protagonist's eyelashes when he takes nearly 10 seconds to finish blinking. :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's 'photorealism' for you. Include all the aberrations introduced by the camera, copy what you see in movies. Can't wait to see all the lens flare they have in store for us.

Photographic, not photorealistic. We could only wish those games were trying to actually look realistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom