Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War II

titus

Arcane
Patron
That trailer "ingame" graphics always looks a lot better than the actual game.
I wouldn't say that. TW games always had good graphics. Maybe that's why they were so popular in the first place. IF you could run them at max settings that is. M2TW still looks damn good.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Nah. I remember the beautiful Empire: TW first screenshots showed in these magazines, and I was blown away. When I fired up the game for the first time with everything maxed out, I though this looked just like Rome TW, maybe even a bit worse.

Mocking up screenhots isn't exactly something new in this industry.

Hellraiser

Arcane

Holy shit, that trailer is just bloody retarded. I mean look at it, it's infested with Hollywood history trite. "What have we done?" Am I honestly supposed to believe that romans, who owned slaves, watched gladiator fights and slaughtered settlements unwilling to cooperate would honestly give a fuck about Carthage? Considering how demonized the damn thing was ever since the 2nd Punic war and Hannibal's rampage in Italy?

Also I find the A.D. MMXIII date out of place as A.D. is a medieval invention used up to modern times. They should have done something like Anno Urbis Conditae as much as that is still only a guess of modern historians. But having the date shown as the year it would be for the ancient romans, and not the medieval users of latin, would be more :obviously: even if they would have to add an asterisk and an explanation what that year is in the modern calendar below for the unwashed masses.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Nah. I remember the beautiful Empire: TW first screenshots showed in these magazines, and I was blown away. When I fired up the game for the first time with everything maxed out, I though this looked just like Rome TW, maybe even a bit worse.

Mocking up screenhots isn't exactly something new in this industry.

I didn't care too much about ETW actually.The latest game that I enjoyed out of the series is Medieval 2 Kingdoms. That looked pretty good iirc.

Amerikwan accents for mah Centurions?

To be fair, the British accents for Romans are overused. Who doesn't like a centurion with a Texas accent? hiii-yaah

I hope the troops will still respond in Latin. In fact, I wouldn't mind games using entirely original language with subtitles only
This.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm hoping mods will fix it.

As for the trailers, I don't see the need for bitching. Creative Assembly's always tried to make Hollywood trailers, it's just that the technology and graphics is more capable of it now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I hope the troops will still respond in Latin. In fact, I wouldn't mind games using entirely original language with subtitles only (a'la the Passion of Christ).

Some mods used this (Europa Barbarorum was the first, I think, and the language files were re-used by some other mods). Romans speak Latin, Greeks Old Greek, Celts reconstructed Celtic, Persians Old Persian etc etc... was pretty awesome, even though the accent was still slightly American (but way less bad than in vanilla Rome).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I hope the troops will still respond in Latin. In fact, I wouldn't mind games using entirely original language with subtitles only (a'la the Passion of Christ).

Some mods used this (Europa Barbarorum was the first, I think, and the language files were re-used by some other mods). Romans speak Latin, Greeks Old Greek, Celts reconstructed Celtic, Persians Old Persian etc etc... was pretty awesome, even though the accent was still slightly American (but way less bad than in vanilla Rome).

I'm currently geeking out on EB, and this is one of the factors that got me completely hooked. Though I wish the AI would be more willing to accept peace offers, so I could start LARPing the 2nd Punic War alread. But noo, I have to deal with retarded Gauls 200 years before it actually happened.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah the diplomatic AI is utterly broken in the TW games. They're sending hordes of soldiers against me; I manage to kill them all, with some casualties myself, but they lose way more men than me and don't make any progress. I conquer one of their cities. I offer them a peace deal where I even would give them a bit of gold. They refuse.

GUYS YOU ARE CURRENTLY LOSING THIS WAR AND YOU REFUSE A PEACE DEAL THAT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO YOU? LOLWAT?

TW games need a diplomatic AI that is more similar to Paradox games. Warscores would be a great addition for determining willingness for peace.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

Holy shit, that trailer is just bloody retarded. I mean look at it, it's infested with Hollywood history trite. "What have we done?" Am I honestly supposed to believe that romans, who owned slaves, watched gladiator fights and slaughtered settlements unwilling to cooperate would honestly give a fuck about Carthage? Considering how demonized the damn thing was ever since the 2nd Punic war and Hannibal's rampage in Italy?

Also I find the A.D. MMXIII date out of place as A.D. is a medieval invention used up to modern times. They should have done something like Anno Urbis Conditae as much as that is still only a guess of modern historians. But having the date shown as the year it would be for the ancient romans, and not the medieval users of latin, would be more :obviously: even if they would have to add an asterisk and an explanation what that year is in the modern calendar below for the unwashed masses.

Didn't Scipio (Aemilanus?) supposedly wept during the razing of Carthage?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Scipio Aemilianus was definitely against the complete destruction of Carthago and always held this position in the senatorial debates. The faction who was in favour of the destruction won, though, so he was ordered to raze Carthago and did it. That he wept is most likely a poetic way to show that he was against the whole thing.

Kukulkan

Learned
I wonder what the expansion for this game would look like? Hopefully it's a Hannibal campaign or one focused on the time Rome was still a monarchy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
There'll definitely be one campaign DLC (a la Warpath, Peninsular Campaign, Rise of the Samurai) and likely one larger (standalone) expansion. With the DLC they might go the Punic Wars route, with the expansion they'll probably change the timeframe to late antiquity.

Kukulkan

Learned
There'll definitely be one campaign DLC (a la Warpath, Peninsular Campaign, Rise of the Samurai) and likely one larger (standalone) expansion. With the DLC they might go the Punic Wars route, with the expansion they'll probably change the timeframe to late antiquity.
I'd rather have the expansion take place just before the late antiquity with the Crisis of the Third century. Rome almost got fucked in that time and I would love to play the Gallic Empire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom