Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War II

exe

Augur
They always promise better AI.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Yaay for modding support! Hopefully the AI won't be (very) retarded this time.

Steve

Augur
Shogun 2 and especially fall of the samurai were definite incline, I wouldnt still trust CA with the same fucking promises they gave with every new title.

Kayerts

Arcane
The Roman republic will also be playing its own Game of Thrones, with politicians jockeying for power and influence - some, perhaps, playing that oh-so-deadly, single-seat variant of Imperial Musical Chairs where there's only ever room for one person on the throne when the music stops.

Indeed, most historians agree that the republican era of Rome was best characterized by imperial thrones.

Renegen

Arcane
The Roman republic will also be playing its own Game of Thrones, with politicians jockeying for power and influence - some, perhaps, playing that oh-so-deadly, single-seat variant of Imperial Musical Chairs where there's only ever room for one person on the throne when the music stops.

Indeed, most historians agree that the republican era of Rome was best characterized by imperial thrones.
Well now we know this whole piece was written by a PR hack that knew absolutely nothing about the game and only cared about putting as many buzz words as possible. And given his limited job responsibilities he probably doesn't care about anything but creating buzz, the quality of the game being irrelevant. Thus, we can conclude the preview is a crock of shit.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
At least I hope they do something more interesting with the romans this time than dividing them into three "factions" that are essentially separate countries.

anus_pounder

Arcane

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Looking forward to this, though I really hope that they get the AI semi-right this time. I doubt I'll be doing much complaining though, if the incline continues from Shogun 2 into Rome. :smug:

EDIT: The word "Streamline" worries me a little though, due to the massively negative connotations it has in the industry. If CA goes Bioware or Bethesda with their Total War games, puppies will be killed by the thousands.

Deleted member 7219

Europa Barbarorum was the game Rome should have been. Shogun 2 was the best in the series IMO, Fall of the Samurai just confirmed it, so I'm hoping they're carrying the best stuff from that across. Fleet AI and pathfinding still need work but other than that, the game was pretty much perfect. I just hope they're making Rome 2 more realistic than its predecessor.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
At least I hope they do something more interesting with the romans this time than dividing them into three "factions" that are essentially separate countries.
My guess is that it was to allow the player to focus expanding in a general area and slowly get used to managing more and more provinces. That way a player won't get overwhelmed running the italian peninsula and facing hostile foes from three directions.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The attitude of the OP is lulzy. ROME 2 COMES OUT SOON SO ALL MODS OF PREVIOUS GAMES IN ROMAN ERA WILL BE OBSOLETE, ALSO MODDERS ARE LAZY FUCKS BAWWWWWWW

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The attitude of the OP is lulzy. ROME 2 COMES OUT SOON SO ALL MODS OF PREVIOUS GAMES IN ROMAN ERA WILL BE OBSOLETE, ALSO MODDERS ARE LAZY FUCKS BAWWWWWWW
That's an obvious troll if there ever was one, and not particularly funny one either. It might have gotten funny if he'd managed to bait a few thin-skinned modders, but the thread was locked before anything happened.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So yeah, I hope this "Province System" isn't in fact a "Dumbing Down System".

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Europa Barbarorum was the game Rome should have been. Shogun 2 was the best in the series IMO, Fall of the Samurai just confirmed it, so I'm hoping they're carrying the best stuff from that across. Fleet AI and pathfinding still need work but other than that, the game was pretty much perfect. I just hope they're making Rome 2 more realistic than its predecessor.

I don't think that's quite fair on CA. They were making the game from scratch, working to a deadline, were trying to reach a broader audience(no matter what we'd like to think, Total War games are not Gary Grigsby or Norm Koger grognard studies of war, but are semi-casual strategy empire builder things). To expect them to spend years making Europa Barbarorum for a small section of people is unrealistic. The best thing they did, and what hey failed to do later was make the game supremely moddable so that the basic engine could service the needs of the casuals and the hard core history buffs and strategists(AI being the one core problem and the one thing CA should be criticized for). I don't expect losing the Wardogs for Rome 2 either or other super silly units.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Honestly I think fighting Ninjas, Amazon warriors or Egyptian mummies is at least more interesting than the same recolored armies we had in Empire. Nonetheless I have very low expectations for this game. I'm very interested how this GAME OF MUSICAL CHAIRS FOR THE THRONE will be handled by CA's brain dead AI.

Deleted member 7219

He was almost a good troll. Shame the thread was locked, can you imagine the amount of rage in there?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I don't know whether to anticipate or dread this game's release. Shogun 2 is a great game but they seemed to be going full EA with the DLC, faction packs, even a fucking blood pack. In a war game. In Rome II we'll probably have to pay for each of the "thousands" of centurions' hats separately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom