Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War Demo

Anonymous

I played it a few times, it's pretty awesome, just the tutorial and a single Historical battle with you as Hannibal.

But it's fun, just like the old total-war games but all in 3D and stuff.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
AS a huge fan of the Total War series thus far, i was a bit underwhelmed, but i think that was inevitable. Theirs a few bad interface issue's, for example you cannot see the fatigue of your troops on their icons like previous games, you have to find them on the battlefield and hold the mouse over them to get fatigue level. The minimap is a step backwards from the previous incarnations as its harder to discern whats where. The mouse control is ass about face. Even selecting the "total war" camera/mouse control scheme, its different than in the previous games, with the mouse buttons being reversed, amoung other things. The combat is too fast in the demo also, compared to previous games. HOWEVER, all in all, its still looking to be a great game. The combat in the demo is set to "action" style, which can be switched to "realistic" in the full version, making combat slower, comparable to the first 2 games. The akward control scheme can be set to the exact same scheme as the other TW games by editing the ini file. The graphics are excellent, the engine appears to deliver alot of on screen units in very high detail for comparatively low specs. The turn based global map doesnt feature in the demo and was more fun to me than the battles. Also dimplomacy is greatly expanded over previous versions, i could go on but ive suddenly lost to will to. Am still looking forward to this title.

triCritical

Erudite
FrankHorrigan said:
The minimap is a step backwards from the previous incarnations as its harder to discern whats where.

I can't imagine that this is even possible. As for the rest, it seems the rest of the issues are mainly adjustable. I will not allow your prejudices influence my opinion that this will be the greatest game ev4r!;)

DemonKing

Arcane
I wish the demo had a bit of the strategy/non-combat aspects in it. I can't really decide whether I would like the game based on the battles alone. They looked ok, but controls were a bit cludgy, IMO.

Time to wait for the reviews, I guess.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The demo is pure ownage.

Not much strategy though, unless you grab the "Play as the Romans" mod from Gamershell. It's a lot harder with them, because you don't have those nasty elephants and you can't see the cavalry at the flanks.

This has got to be the only demo I've played for more than 10 times, heh.

Anonymous

My computer resets itself when i try and play :(

I need a new computer bad

Thydron

Liturgist
When you played as the romans Exitium, could you not see the cavalry? I'm pretty sure I could - i thought it was just scripted that the romans couldn't see the Carthigian cavalry for that scenario

Fez

Erudite
I played as the romans with the mod and I could see where the cavalry was from the start. I think the romans have the edge on that battle if you don't just plough up the hill. The AI iseems to use almost identical tactics as in Medievil Total War, I notice the same quirks and patterns, hopefully this isn't just a facelift for the old game using the same old AI engine.

Nice demo, shame it is so short.

Anonymous

Also it's a Historical Battle, I think they did that in real life?

Like the intro of the fight says..

Fez

Erudite
Thanks for the cheeky comment.

I wasn't saying it was a terrible game because the demo was short, I was simply saying that I would have liked more, or that I enjoyed it. Sheesh.

It was't the set-up of the battle or the units involved that was a problem, as obviously knowing what really happened so far back in time is nearly always impossible, so I am sure they gave what they felt was the best representation of the units and possibly terrain involved.

What I was worried about is that the battle AI seems to be far too similar to the previous games. If this game just turns out to be the same as the previous ones but with more expenisve graphics I will be very dissapointed. Fancy graphics, particle effects and mapping are all just gravy, if the meat of the game itself turns out to be several years old I don't want it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom