Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romances in RPG

Lumpy

Arcane
Romances simply have so much potential in an RPG, and yet they're always reduced to putting in some guys and gals players can fuck.
Does romance have to be a purty story between the player and a party member, one that slowly unfolds? How about romances with important NPCs, done in the very first dialogue and possibly the last? PST was on the right track, with being able to charm Ravel and all, but how about taking it one step further.
For example, there's this god you have a very good, personal reason to kill. Either go through a quest to destroy his faith, or go straight up to him, charm him in a long dialogue, and make him sacrifice for your sake?
It's all Bioware's fault.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure what to expect from medieval romance because unless you settle down, life of adventure just doesn't fit romance theme, but if you insists, here are my thoughts on the matter:

I never even 'liked' Ravel. I picked the charming responses just to gain more 'power' and answers from her. This is one of the most common choices I took in RPG, if a love interest possess something 'beneficial' be it, power, answers to my questions I am willing to 'lie' about it. And depending on how good I am at it, I should get partial success or failure out of it. [Truth/Lie] responses would be great.

I think if we want to take romance a step further in RPG we need a good plot tied up with it, instead of a cutscene at the end or some 'fade-to-black' scene after you said yes to her offer of going to bed. Case in point: NWN2's Elanee. Generic. Druid. Yuck.

There must be a way to influence instead of just bending over to his/her point of views. Persuasion comes in many ways: Flattery (whether truthful or lies) , Intimidation (domination), Lies (sowing distrust, fake supportive actions), etc. Make influence a two way street.

Chefe

Erudite
There was a game like this.
It was called Final Fantasy VIII.
It sucked. Alot.

Ahem

Just to get this out of the way, a big problem is that the people who write games are virgins who have no romantic experience, and very limited female interaction. They don't know what goes on or how things work. Saying "I'm a warrior lol let's have buttsecks" probably sounds perfectly logical to them.

Now I'm not saying that I'm an expert on romance. I'm not. I do get lucky until she realizes I'm a jerk who never listens. I don't listen to anyone. Hell, I don't even listen to myself.

If romances are to work in RPGs, they need to become just like any other game mechanic. There's no reason they should be something "special." There should be a storyline variation on wether you choose to get involved romantically with a character or not. Maybe some stats could receive boosts (charisma, anyone?) while the penalty is that you have to take on whatever reputations your significant other held before you met, like enemies... enemies that you may have been friends with before until you decided to hook up... but maybe you can help them reconcile their differences.

It can be another storytelling mechanic to spice up the game, but it needs to be done right. These dudes can write about swords and knights and orcs and shit because they're vary familiar with them. They're not familiar with romance, sex and chicks. It's like asking a hentai fanatic to not be totally awesome - it's just not possible. You'd have to convince him to stop looking at hentai before he could start sucking. Likewise, those guys who have never touched a tit before would have to do some field work and gain experience in this area. Of course, it's hard to do that when you're addicted to hentai... or all you have to talk about is orcs and dragons and swords and you've never been to a gym.

A romantic partner would have to be either part of your adventuring party, or meet up with you often in towns and cities, for it to have any meaning at all other than going back home occasionally for a lay. To have any significance, it would be crucial to integrate it into a larger storyline structure, like that of the main quest.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lumpy said:
Romances simply have so much potential in an RPG, and yet they're always reduced to putting in some guys and gals players can fuck.
Does romance have to be a purty story between the player and a party member, one that slowly unfolds? How about romances with important NPCs, done in the very first dialogue and possibly the last? PST was on the right track, with being able to charm Ravel and all, but how about taking it one step further.
For example, there's this god you have a very good, personal reason to kill. Either go through a quest to destroy his faith, or go straight up to him, charm him in a long dialogue, and make him sacrifice for your sake?
It's all Bioware's fault.

You should play Kotor 2! Kreia and Atris are exactly what you're asking for, though sadly in Kreia's case the "convince" option in the ending was dropped from the game; they prolly didn't have enough time to make two ending videos.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Chefe you actually named a lot of things which were done in PS:T and BG2. Only in PS:T romances were incredibly short.
And actually in BG2 if you were to romance Viconia you would loose reputation (because you had to keep her for that with you) though I didn't went with this line and don't know what was else there, but f. e. romancing Jaheira would lead to Harpers becoming your enemies etc.
Things you wrote just need to be done on the right scale because most of them were already done.
Also in all the recent RPGs only the player had to start chatters - wtf? that's not natural.

And for god sake, Obsidian remove that retarded influence counter. What's the sence of romancing if you know reaction when looking at numbers?

Micmu

Magister
I'm not into bald freaks.
And for god sake, Obsidian remove that retarded influence counter. What's the sence of romancing if you know reaction when looking at numbers?
Fully agreed.

Why can't they give you a busty orc chick for a change?
One that will rape you!

cardtrick

Arbiter
Zappa said:
Just to get this out of the way, a big problem is that the people who write games are virgins who have no romantic experience, and very limited female interaction. They don't know what goes on or how things work. Saying "I'm a warrior lol let's have buttsecks" probably sounds perfectly logical to them.

Avellone has an attractive girlfriend.

I hate that I know that.

Anyway, on topic: it would be nice if an RPG had a well-developed romance, but I can't imagine it really happening. You'd either have to have practically no choice in how things developed, or else it would be too game-y to seem real. I don't think it's possible to do much better than abortive starts to romance among your party members (e.g., PST).

Honestly, The Witcher's approach feels the most realistic to me: you're an attractive, infamous hero, always on the move. You can sleep with many, many women (don't tell me that's not realistic), but you don't form lasting attachments.

Chefe

Erudite
skyway said:
Chefe you actually named a lot of things which were done in PS:T and BG2. Only in PS:T romances were incredibly short.
And actually in BG2 if you were to romance Viconia you would loose reputation (because you had to keep her for that with you) though I didn't went with this line and don't know what was else there, but f. e. romancing Jaheira would lead to Harpers becoming your enemies etc.
Things you wrote just need to be done on the right scale because most of them were already done.
Also in all the recent RPGs only the player had to start chatters - wtf? that's not natural.

Yes.

It's a gameplay system that needs better development.

cardtrick said:
Avellone has an attractive girlfriend.

Honestly, I'd really have to see that to believe it, knowing what I know about the tastes and standards of Codexers.

Anyway, on topic: it would be nice if an RPG had a well-developed romance, but I can't imagine it really happening. You'd either have to have practically no choice in how things developed, or else it would be too game-y to seem real. I don't think it's possible to do much better than abortive starts to romance among your party members (e.g., PST).

Honestly, The Witcher's approach feels the most realistic to me: you're an attractive, infamous hero, always on the move. You can sleep with many, many women (don't tell me that's not realistic), but you don't form lasting attachments.

Why would it seem too gamey? If you made it another storyline element, it should flow perfectly into the choices and consequences of the RPG.

I really need to play the Witcher.

Callaxes

Arbiter
The only kind of romances I'd be happy with in the confines of my own development would be inherently shallow and self-destructive relationships, like two people fucking because the world is going to end.

But even if I had oposite tastes I wouldn't like Bioware's shit, because it's well... shit!

I guess even Bhaalspawn with 19 intelligence and 18 wisdom still can't remember to use contraception...

Or use tools...like wire hangers, your fist, or stairs....

Chefe

Erudite
You're my new favorite member.

Lesifoere said:
they want to be dominant, yet still be treated as if they're made of glass

Feminism defined.

MetalCraze

Arcane
we did all this work, but then no matter what TNO goes to the Blood War

Actually there is like 4 different endings :/

Viconia and Jaheira are reduced to clinging to the male Bhaalspawn as a source of strength

If male pc will act like a pussy Viconia will actually become his enemy and will tell him to fuck off.
Aerie is awful yes. Actually she's a kid.

Bioware NPCs are popular
not here.
Note that from most of RPG NPCs from the recent games only BIS/Obsidian's are praised.

Actually has anyone played Fallout as a female PC? I've heard there's a lot of ... interesting stuff for this gender.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Zappa said:
You're my new favorite member.

Lesifoere said:
they want to be dominant, yet still be treated as if they're made of glass

Feminism defined.

Well, no. Feminism is about choice and ensuring that freedom to have choices is available for women. Women who think along the line of "pay me like a man, treat me like a lady" are ignorant twats who need to die. In chemical fire.

skyway said:
we did all this work, but then no matter what TNO goes to the Blood War

Actually there is like 4 different endings :/

As far as I recall, you either kill yourself, convince TTO to die and be reabsorbed into you, kill TTO the old-fashioned way, or... something. But unless I remember wrong, in all the endings where TNO live, he still goes to fight in the Blood War.

Bioware NPCs are popular
not here.

Yeah, obviously. I'm talking more about the general audience. The majority of gamers are a lot less weathered, cynical and difficult to please than people at the Codex. I'm not saying that having selective tastes is a bad thing, it's just that Codexers comprise a much smaller demographic.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Lyric Suite said:
Lesifoere said:
Feminism is about choice

But without consequences.

Okay, let me clarify. Educated, non-twat feminists would recognize that there're consequences, and are ready to take them with the freedom of choice.

Of course, plenty of white males would rather have their choices without the consequences, too. It's just that they can't pretend to carry the flag of some sort of men's rights movement because... well, lol.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
If I just said "males", somebody's going to call me a racist fuck because black men were oppressed, you know, not just women, sheesh, you stupid feminazi. Just covering my bases--discriminating against middle-class white men is the safest option, sir!

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Most RPGs don't have good basic dialogue. Why the fuck do you think they'll manage to do a decent love story?

I can't think of one decently written 'romance' in any RPG. Honestly can't. It's the 'whore/Madonna' problem when men with sweaty palms try to write about women.

Lumpy

Arcane
skyway said:
Volly is a woman?
women don't like bioware romances.
Obviously not, that's why they write their own rape mods. :blade d'honoeur:

Oh, by the way, another great romance in an RPG was Deionarra, except you only got some tidbits of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom