Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII decides to LAH LAH to PC

Silva

Arcane
I was under the impression 8 was the RPGest of the RPG RotTKs. Been so long since I've played any of them.
This is correct. 8 is the RPGest of them all, at least if we count the 100% English ones.

10 is also supposed to be RPGish, but I couldn't play more than 10 minutes of it, as the fan-made translation I got was shit and incomplete.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fools, if you want a RPG like ROTK play the Hero series:

140864104A55D723039534

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
special edition cost ~$770 with model of Zhuge Liang
Treasure Box (PS4/PS3: 13,800 yen, PC: 14,800 yen)

A copy of the game
Original soundtrack CD
Desk Daily Calendar
Kou Shibusawa Walkthrough and Warlords art book
Military Commander clear files (x15)

GameCity Exclusive Set (PS4/PS3: 68,800 yen, PC: 69,800 yen)

A 1/3 size puppet of Zhuge Liang designed by the late Kihachiro Kawamoto (26cm)
A copy of the game
Kou Shibusawa Walkthrough and Warlords art book
Original soundtrack CD
Military Commander clear files (x15)
Desk Daily Calendar

Human Drama

Unlike previous entries, players will now be able to step into the role of a military commander. And the commanders that appear in the game will have more personality than ever before, with the game unfolding differently depending on how you bond with them. There’s also a “Eiketsuden Mode” (Legend of a Brave Hero Mode).

Spectacle

In addition to the field battles featured in previous entries, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII adds aquatic warfare and sieges. Stratagems like fire plans have also been added.

Dynamism

Similar to previous entries, the continent of China is depicted in 3D on a single map. You’ll be able to seamlessly zoom-in and zoom-out of the map from the overhead view up until inside the city.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/05/first-look-romance-three-kingdoms-xiii#juCrGPmkAR2GS1ux.99

Pretty sad at this. We might get a PUK in 5-6 months bundled with english or we might end up getting english version in early 2017. (that was how it was done in previous titles)

Gonna wait for the translation patch anyway,.

Tigranes

Arcane
Seems based on 12, with the same clusterfucky RT battle. Ugh. I think Korean version is coming out, so I'll see what the Koreans, rabid ROTK players as they are, say. (This is literally the only franchise where Koreans have good taste.)

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, I don't know what info's available in English but here's some snippets from the Korean web while I've been looking round

[Main modes]
-The RPG era stuff is back, so you can play anything from hobo to ruler
-Seems like not only is combat RT, the main game is also RT, and you can just pause. :decline:

[People]
-Most dudes ever, 700+
-No more wandering factions
-Individualised aptitudes like honourbro, martialfag or intellifag in terms of how they favour other individuals, etc
-Individuals have preferred treasures (or just treasure types?) that you can use to earn their favour like dragon age romances i guesses
-Hot-headed dudes who see their rivals on battleground might lose their head and rush them, e.g. Zhang Fei will rush Lu Bu, but if Guan Yu or Liu Bei are around they will settle him down
-The networking individuals can do is thus pretty significant and you get a chart that shows the relationships

0109kyh_07.jpg

-in fact this extends to the ability to marry multiple womyn because why not KOEI
-like rotk8/etc, people who like you will teach you stuff, and you can use it to do strategies like lowering their loyalty, or scheduling their defection in battle... which you can do against your own lord too

[Battles / Conquest]
-Various villagers near actual cities, some of which are held by bandits, you can conquer them through a menu and reap benefits for the city
-Real-time battle, use wind to steer fire, naval battles back and units lose morale the longer they spend time on the boats, you can link the boats with chains to help with the morale loss but obviously then vulnerable to fire
-Siege mode with siege weapons and shit, seems that in bigger cities it gets pretty complicated, known siege weapons include a giant bow? that you can install on the walls and some kind of mangonel for defensive purposes. You need to use siege tools to get on top of the wall, but apparently cavalry can now get on walls because koei what the fuck koei

20160114001059_91caecb3.jpg

-When you embark on conquest you can send multiple armies, e.g. from multiple cities at the same target or sending reinforcements, and once they reaach the area they'll enter the battle map. Max 10 armies per side, rest will wait in wings
-The battle you can watch in the 'preview' program, which KOEI released as a kind of 'make sure you can run this game' benchmark (WTF), shows a fucking ugly clusterfuck realtime thing that makes me feel like I'm playing dragon commander again seriously who the fuck thought that this looks good or that you can tell what the hell is going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8eDWH_n3A

To be honest it seems like they've done a lot of interesting things but fuck me I cannot into that combat

From the gameplay released where some guy played as Chen Gong, battles seemed pretty good. Flanking, rear attacks and baiting are a thing, something that was nonexistent in previous games where all that mattered was officer quality. Only thing that gets me is the power bar. Fuck that.

[blogdex] autism successful, am now able to translate kanji rapidly by identifying multiradicals

there is hope for playing this on release yet

Tigranes

Arcane
Corporate_Jew_Master the mechanics are there, it's just that I have no idea what the hell is going on and I'm not sure I can ever figure out that clusterfuck.

Anyway seems like the official Korean version will take a while too, and it will probably take a PK pack as usual to get it up to speed... let us know if you try the Japanese version.

[blogdex] autism successful, am now able to translate kanji rapidly by identifying multiradicals

there is hope for playing this on release yet

You don't have to be an autist, though that certainly helps. Try:

1. Interactive Text Hooker https://code.google.com/p/interactive-text-hooker/

or

2. Capture2Text http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/

with

3. Translation Aggregator http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/94395-Translation-Aggregator?p=3648894

2's OCR can work reasonably well if you can get the text against a plain background

How does capture2text work?

No preview box appears

Nostaljaded

Savant
From the gameplay released where some guy played as Chen Gong, battles seemed pretty good...
Are we viewing the same stream?

I think XIII's battle gameplay looks to be the most shitty of all ROTKs I've played.

There was a battle of streamer's Liu Bei's 60k vs 100k Sun Ce enemy.

Streamer was immediately notified of the exact enemy count advancing to the targeted city upon the enemy's departure.
So knowing full well of the max 10-unit-per-side limitation, the streamer sends out 8 stacks of doom while the 100k enemy waits for all its units to arrive at their nearest friendly city before setting out together.

Battle ensues and guess what?

It was a 60k vs 35k 10-unit-per-side battle while the rest of the 65k enemy patiently awaits their friendly stacks to be perished before announcing their 'reinforcements'.

What's even more hilarious is that the 35k enemy split into 2 forces with the intention to take the streamer's secondary forts in the northwest and southeast.

He just sent his whole group of 60k to eliminate the first 17k enemy group before ticking off the rest of the enemy.

Flanking, rear attacks and baiting are a thing, something that was nonexistent in previous games where all that mattered was officer quality.
What's the point of flanking, group attacks when the enemy AI is incapable of effectively using them (judging from the stream)?

It's just making the fool feeling awesome.

ROTKs are not immune to the crutches of :decline:.

My ideal ROTK will have been the battle map and skills of XI with inclusion of V formations & the Duel battle and RPG mechanics of X.
A man can dream...

Didn't watch the stream. Was talking about another gameplay video.

That does sound bad indeed.

EDIT: The battle system is better than 12's at least. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Vagiel

Augur
Corporate_Jew_Master since you appear to be the local authority on romance things what would be your suggestion for newbie filthy casual who is interested in the series to start with?

I think I am more inclined to try the nobunaga games that I think are similar but I will follow your suggestions.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

TigerKnee

Arcane
ROTK XI is pretty gud.

I don't like modern Nobunaga games since they switched to real-time but the latter half of NA's turn-based games are in Japanese.

Play 11 for strategy, 10 for RPG-strategy hybrid. Then get the fan translated expansion packs for each. If you're hooked, you'll start getting the others yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom