Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII decides to LAH LAH to PC

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Because you might as well go for a full incline - latest Nobunaga's Ambition coming to PC wasn't enough for KOEI. :greatjob:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/1...e-kingdoms-xiii-announced-for-ps4-ps3-and-pc/

Koei Tecmo recently celebrated the Romance of the Three Kingdoms’ 30th anniversary with a special event for the series, where they announced the latest title, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII, for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC.

While no details on the game were revealed at the event, Koei Tecmo announced that Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII will release in Japan on December 10, 2015.

Last edited:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
:nocountryforshitposters:What do you mean coming to PC? Literally every RoTK/Nobunaga game was released on PC first.

I'm excited that they brought back the RPG gameplays from RoTK X, but the combat looks like the usual RTwP shit used in all recent Nobunaga's Ambitions. The final product will probably be inferior to X.

dehimos

Augur
:nocountryforshitposters:What do you mean coming to PC? Literally every RoTK/Nobunaga game was released on PC first.

I'm excited that they brought back the RPG gameplays from RoTK X, but the combat looks like the usual RTwP shit used in all recent Nobunaga's Ambitions. The final product will probably be inferior to X.

I wonder, is there Nobunaga's Ambitions like RoTK X?

laclongquan

Arcane

Yeah, and you all can watch the moon PC version and weep, it's so superior to the console version.

Those Jap devs, they love to troll non-moon speakers.

PC ENGLISH ROTK10 !!!! :bounce:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I don't think they can do better than 11. The open world structure led to so many tactical possibilities and regressing back to fixed battles that don't take place on a larger world map ruin that. I did so much insane shit in 11.

uxmwEdM.jpg

The best game I ever had was as Liu Yu, the dark purple at the very top. You're surrounded on all sides by enemies who are allied against you and your guys aren't nearly as good. I managed to hold out against 2 attacks from Gongsun Zan, the orange, and Yuan Shao, the yellow but I knew there was nothing I could do in the long-term to win in the region; I would eventually get conquered. It was a desperate gamble, but I packed up all my supplies and sent 5 cavalry units south to capture a free city. My armies had to fight through Yuan Shao, Liu Bei, Liu Dai and Tao Qian's territories, along the way getting picked off and destroyed by much stronger armies. When I got to the river, I had to capture Liu Bei's port while Guan Yu and Zhang Fei crushed my weak officers. Then I had to capture Liu Dai's. The battle was non-stop along the way, everyone whose territory I entered attacked me, and my armies were decimated on the way. Officers were captured or killed, and while they made their journey south, Gongsun Zan and Yuan Shao simultaneously attacked my main base. After about a year, I finally made it to a free city and had to attack it. I only had one army left and it only had a few hundred soldiers. My main base had almost fallen and if it fell before I conquered a new one, I would lose. At the last moment, I was finally able to conquer a free city with less than 100 troops and the very next turn, my city in the north was captured. I was able to rebuild in the south and ultimately won the game.

This is something that isn't possible with fixed battles like in RTK 13. I wasn't fighting, I was fleeing. I was trying to get away so I could rebuild somewhere with weaker competition. With fixed battles like every other game in the series, there is one goal for every battle and that's crush the other guy. Open maps like 11 let you set the goals and strategies, though. I can't go back. 11's system is just so much better than any other RTK game's, and it's why I prefer Nobunaga's Ambition games more now.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Long March, southward version, eh~

ROTK maps always have some dead-end that you do better to get out of it immediately if you want to expand. Jiao Zhi is one example, basically you pack up foods and move a monthlong route, conquer or die on the vine.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
jy10vce.png

Gongsun Du up in the far northeast of the map is another fun game. Your guys are pretty terrible and you're next to one of the big winners of the north, Gongsun Zan. You can't beat him in a direct confrontation, Gongsun Zan himself is a very good general and he's got some pretty decent dudes - all your guys are pretty bad. But if you prepare for battle beforehand, by weakening the dam next to your city and destroying it when he attacks you, you can wipe him out without losing a single soldier. Then you counterattack Bei Ping and use his officers as a springboard for the rest of the region.

Af5kFQx.png

I had another great game once. I don't even remember who I was playing as, but I'd just captured Cao Cao's Bei Hai and he wasn't happy about it. He had me surrounded on both the west and the south and sent hundreds of thousands of his best generals, Xiahou Yuan, Xu Huang, Zhang Liao, from both directions against my 40,000 in Bei Hai. I only had 2 generals, Gao Shun and Gao Lan, who are both very good but not on the same level as Cao Cao's. The battle lasted for over a year, hundreds of thousands of Cao Cao's soldiers streaming into Bei Hai against my 2 generals. Each army he sent up would get destroyed, but would weaken me a little bit more. In the end, I lost, he captured the city but he lost 300,000 in the process while I only lost about 40,000. The resources he spent on trying to capture the city drained him and I was able to attack on another front, destroying him.

This just isn't possible in any other system. Scenarios like these are why open map battles are the best. I like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but I'm not going to play this. It just won't be as good.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
eric__s

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/first-look-romance-three-kingdoms-xiii

Similar to previous entries, the continent of China is depicted in 3D on a single map. You’ll be able to seamlessly zoom-in and zoom-out of the map from the overhead view up until inside the city.

http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/roman...lay-as-one-of-the-legendary-chinese-warlords/

The battles you encounter will be dynamic and shown in 3D, on a complete and singular map. Players will be able to view the entire battle from overhead, zooming in and out on the continent of China as they see fit.

Silva

Arcane
Last RoTK Ive played was VIII on PS2. I remember I started as a city official and reached mayor status, while my brother started as a general. We were actual brothers and friends in-game as well.

Is there any edition on PC that allow me to play like that ? I mean, as a single person instead of a whole army ? That was cool as hell.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
In the end, I lost, he captured the city but he lost 300,000 in the process while I only lost about 40,000. The resources he spent on trying to capture the city drained him and I was able to attack on another front, destroying him.

This AI player doesn't quite sound like the capable minister / unscrupulous hero from the novel.
they'll never live up to their legends.
but it sure felt good making lu bu the general slaying superchink that he was in dynasty warrior by using cavalry charge to force endless duels with unwilling victims.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In the end, I lost, he captured the city but he lost 300,000 in the process while I only lost about 40,000. The resources he spent on trying to capture the city drained him and I was able to attack on another front, destroying him.

This AI player doesn't quite sound like the capable minister / unscrupulous hero from the novel.
they'll never live up to their legends.

It's the brain tumour.

Last RoTK Ive played was VIII on PS2. I remember I started as a city official and reached mayor status, while my brother started as a general. We were actual brothers and friends in-game as well.

Is there any edition on PC that allow me to play like that ? I mean, as a single person instead of a whole army ? That was cool as hell.

RotK 7, 8 and 10, but they don't have English versions for PC as far as I'm aware.

RK47

Patron
RTK X can be played on PS2 Emu which is what I've been doing.
RTK X JP to EN translation doesn't exist unfortunately for PC ver.
A fan patch translation couldn't do 100%

RK47

Patron
RTK X can be played on PS2 Emu which is what I've been doing.
RTK X JP to EN translation doesn't exist unfortunately for PC ver.
A fan patch translation couldn't do 100%
you mean this one? http://kongming.net/10/english/

That's the only one I know. I tried it, but the character limit impedes full translation. Events are not translated.
Even the officer names cannot be spelled out fully. Not very enjoyable despite the myriad of addition and the PC UI., I still prefer to play it on PS2emu than struggle with half-translated text.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's an official English version for 11, though it does not include the expansion pack.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I loved 10. What was 11 like? I remember how funny it was to play as Guan Yu. The look on his face and the dialog when he fucked up was priceless. I know it was the same with everyone, but it was somehow hilarious imagining Guan Yu constantly fucking up.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
That means my only option to play as a single person instead of an army is go back to 8 ? Shit.

Where is the translation of Taikou Riashiden 5 by the way ?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I was under the impression 8 was the RPGest of the RPG RotTKs. Been so long since I've played any of them.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remembered 7 and 10 being the most RPG with 10 pretty much being an upgraded 7. I still think they could have done a better combination of RotTK and DW. Empires never really cuts the mustard in that regard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom