Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms series

L'ennui

Magister
Is it any good? My roomie was reminiscing about it, it seemed rather interesting but I can't say whether it was just his nostalgia (and we sure would know about that here, wouldn't we?) speaking or if it's really a potentially good game. The premise and setting are enticing, but have any of you anything to say about the gameplay?

:M :rpgcodex: :M

Boddler

Educated
Totally mislabeled. There is almost no actual romance in the game. If you're looking for good romance games, imo some of the best stuff is actually the free Flash games online.

laclongquan

Arcane
Romance is a translation from a Chinese word. Its ancient means more like saga, chronicles, but concentrated more on people than the facts, more like novels than a historian's notes.

Romance of Three Kingdoms game series are made based on the Romance of Three Kingdoms the book, a very influential work among China, Japan, and Vietnam.

Sengoku and Shogun TOtal War are made based on many elements of ROTK.

soggie

Educated
The "romance" in the name does not refer to real romance. :decline:

I was a big fan last time, and it is really a time sinker. It helps if you are familiar with the history of that time. By the end of my reign I had an unstoppable army consisting of Lu Bu, Zhao Yun, Zhang Fei, and the rest of uber generals all on my side, which was impossible in history.

But specifically, which RoTK are you talking about?

laclongquan

Arcane
wikipedia said:
romance or chivalric romance is a style of heroic prose and verse narrative that was popular in the aristocratic circles of High Medieval and Early Modern Europe.

Its old meaning is no longer is use much in Western literature.

Same as 'chi' the Chinese word. No one use it or its ancient meaning now.

Romance as 'romantic fiction' is a relative new meaning.

mondblut

Arcane
It's great if you can take one chinese with nearly same name from another. 11 was a bit of a letdown with the flashy animetard effects, 4 and 6 (for PSX) were excellent.

soggie

Educated
8utt3rs said:
Go read the damn whole book to prep yourself to the game

Its awesome, once you know the background and the names of various characters of the game.

This.

The book is called *drum roll* Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

For westerners it'll be an interesting read with all the political sabotages, brilliant military tactics and daring exploits. In one of the stories, Zhao Yun, one of the generals practically charged through a whole army with his lord's son in his back, and was saved because the enemy lord was so impressed by his courage that he ordered no arrows fired at the fleeing general.

EDIT:

Link added

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/320/R ... stiny.html

anus_pounder

Arcane
If you read the book on threekingdoms.com, I suggest you don't pay much attention to the user comments on the side.

As far as the games are concerned, they're good, but a bit on the easy side once you figure out the system and AI.

soggie

Educated
anus_pounder said:
If you read the book on threekingdoms.com, I suggest you don't pay much attention to the user comments on the side.

As far as the games are concerned, they're good, but a bit on the easy side once you figure out the system and AI.

Easy is an understatement.

But that's how I felt in ROTK 2. I figured latter series should have improved more on that front.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
RoTK 7, 8 and 10 have a system similar to Sword of the Samurai. You can play out the entire character's lifetime as a officer, wanderer, or become a lord of your own and aim to unite China.

The rest are focused on the grand strategy aspect. Didn't like RoTK 11 though.

8utt3rs

Educated
Rotk 5 is IMO decent strategy-simulation game

The sequels are basically experimental (with Roleplaying element or simultaneous strategy map) game engine for Nobunaga series.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
soggie said:
For westerners it'll be an interesting read with all the political sabotages, brilliant military tactics and daring exploits. In one of the stories, Zhao Yun, one of the generals practically charged through a whole army with his lord's son in his back, and was saved because the enemy lord was so impressed by his courage that he ordered no arrows fired at the fleeing general.
Not to mention just about any one of Zhuge Liang's many hijinks. Like killing a man by trolling.

Not bad games, but too easy overall unless you play the first game of the series (maybe the second too. Been a long time). If you prefer more of a Challenge with a similar game system, I suggest Nobunaga's Ambition 2 or the Ghengish Khan games. Bandit Kings of Ancient China is fairly difficult as well.

soggie

Educated
Vaarna_Aarne said:
soggie said:
Not to mention just about any one of Zhuge Liang's many hijinks. Like killing a man by trolling.

You just made my day.

Khor1255

Arcane
I like the Sega game but don't like the fact that who you hire is so very important. It is interesting, but for a good strategy game of this type I always preferred Nobunaga's ambition.

L'ennui

Magister
Thanks for the replies, y'all, I'll try getting my hands on the tenth game, or possibly Nobunaga's Ambition or Genghis Khan.

I tried XI but as some of you mentionned, it doesn't follow quite the same "recipe" as it's predecessors, and the rpg elements are what interested me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom