Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Role-playing vs. avatarism

When I play a CRPG, I

• role play a specific character

Votes: 57 38.5%
  • act as if I myself were the player character

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • what rp are u gay i go for ph4t l00t (kingcomrade)

Votes: 44 29.7%

• Total voters

hivemind

Most RPG game choices are too fucking limited for you to roleplay a specific character that you have in mind unless you have a very shallow character concept in mind: "hurr evil rogue" or "hurr good paladin".

I just pick whatever the fuck I feel like on that given playthrough.

worldsmith

Savant
I don't ever really play as "myself" since my characters will do bold/stupid stuff I wouldn't ever consider if it was my butt on the line
You would try such stuff if your life came with save/load/restart features (and restarting magically only cost minutes/hours rather than decades).

Such features are effectively an integral part of the game world, even if the game's lore stubbornly refuses to acknowledge them. People "playing themselves" will tend to take such features into consideration as much as any other game world feature. Imagine an RPG where it's not only "iron man" (no saves) like some roguelikes, but where you could only ever play the game once your entire life (no restarts), and the game is vast and complex and there will never be another like it -- I suspect you might play it a bit differently than your typical save/load/restart RPG.

k0syak

Cipher
Anyone remember this?

*The Real Man*
The tough macho type who walks up to the attacking dragon and orders
it to leave before he gets hurt.
*The Thespian*
The melodramatic type who writes novel-length character histories
and talks to every monster in the dungeon.
*The Brain*
The mad genius who actually manages to disarm the six skull trap.
*The Loony*
The wild & crazy guy who will do anything for a cheap laugh,
including casting a fireball at ground zero.
*The Munchkin*
Need we say more?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom