Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguey vs the Grognards Thread

dryan

Arcane
Being a slut is shameful. Nothing wrong about pointing it out.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
And then she asks for you to lick her pussy for 70 gold with prostitution mod.
The End.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also in what universe 36 different partners a year isn't a whore of the highest caliber?

It's only whoring if money is exchanged, and in this case, it isn't.

Anyway doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. I imagine Skyrimmers have ways of dealing with STIs and contraception.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
As time passes, observers might increasingly and justifiably conclude that a the core, 'grog' is synonymous with 'RPG'.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
And Roguey has time and time again stated his disdain for all things RPG, except for those wonderful sandbox games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good, Daggerfall was bad.

Skyrim journal update: Slut-shaming quest ended on an incomprehensibly disappointing note.

Aunt: Oh no, don't tell anyone! Here, have a magic scroll.
Me, if I had the option: Uh, I'm pretty sure everyone here already knows..?
Niece: Things are going to be much better for me from now on!... for some reason. Also here, have some magic armor that I could have sold myself to make my life more comfortable.

I was also attacked three times by vampires in a single night. What a horrible night to have a curse.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good, Daggerfall was bad.

Daggerfall was a bit buggy at release, but it is a real good game. The dungeons were great, the world was epic. The gameplay was much more challenging than any other Elder Scrolls game (except the Daggerfall spin-off Battlespire).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since this is also a Roguey-chat thread, namesearch replies:

Ulminati: But does anyone except Roguey really care about Lesifoere at all?
Ulminati: I mean, the only reason I know about Lesi is because of Roguey going on about her
You probably had to be there from 2007-11 (yeah I know you were there for some of that time). Judging from some of my brofisted posts, a few people care. I think I was finally finished with the subject until I saw you bring it up. :P

Ulminati: She was a pretty boring codexer who roguey stalked until she ragequit. And then he paraded her around as a trophy for years as if it was somehow an achievement to make her butthurt

Wealthy westaboos are the opposite of boring to me. I don't believe I've ever knowingly interacted with one before or since.

I also did what a bunch of delicate flowers and fragile petals at livejournal couldn't do http://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/108822.html?thread=547960342#cmt547960342

(yeah she did delete her livejournal account, but once again, I was responsible for that)

TheGreatOne

Arcane
That's quite an accomplishment. Next stop: making Josh Sawyer get a restraining order and rage quit game design.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You could get Sawyer to leave the game industry by paying off his parents' mortgage.

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/174728434797285631
I find it interesting that your very livelihood is financed by this consumption based society. How can you look down your nose at it but still profit from it. It's like saying, "I hate that my wife's a prostitute, but I like the money."
The material impact of video games is fairly low, as are individual rates of consumption (for the majority of people, anyway). The more video games move toward full digital distribution, the smaller their environmental impact should become. Video games do require a lot of electricity to both make and play, which does have a negative impact and is perhaps the most difficult thing to reconcile. I try to make games that are enjoyable but not addictive. I want people to be able to pick them up, put them down when they have something more important to do (which should be almost anything), and eventually stop playing entirely.

I've attempted to find other occupations into which I could go, but most of them require going back to school for two or four years. I do not have any marketable talents or vocational training outside of what I have learned in the game industry -- very little of which is applicable outside. Whether I'm good or bad at it, video game development is the only place where I can make a wage that allows me to fulfill financial obligations to people who depend on me. A true believer in minimalist consumption would sacrifice everything for the principle of it, but I'm not That Guy.

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/174918685285184075
I think you missed the point of an earlier post. Why do you impose financial obligations to others upon yourself? Is that more important to you than pursuing your other beliefs? Isolating yourself would be a good first step towards your professed ideal.
Yes, paying the mortgage on the house my parents live in is more important to me than ending my career in an industry with relatively low environmental impact so I can live the life of an ascetic hermit doing something I have little to no skill at. Count me out of the fourth wave RAF.

Is it worth tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars to you?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Josh Sawyer said:
I try to make games that are enjoyable but not addictive. I want people to be able to pick them up, put them down when they have something more important to do (which should be almost anything), and eventually stop playing entirely.
Truly a designer who holds his work in high regard. Well he certainly has succeeded in that so far. Every time I've contemplated about playing one of his games, higher priorities always trumped, like playing with a cat, staring out the window or wasting my time on the internet.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Josh Sawyer said:
I try to make games that are enjoyable but not addictive. I want people to be able to pick them up, put them down when they have something more important to do (which should be almost anything), and eventually stop playing entirely.
Truly a designer who holds his work in high regard. Well he certainly has succeeded in that so far. Every time I've contemplated about playing one of his games, higher priorities always trumped, like playing with a cat, staring out the window or wasting my time on the internet.
Which is ironic because most of grognard games I have played are enjoyable but not addictive while gamist shit is often based on addiction-based gameplay.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Skyrim journal update: Finished the Dawnguard questline. The penultimate quest went on for much too long, but it had some great set-pieces like the two-dragon fight in the iced over lake and the vampire elf who resurrected frozen creatures while bringing the ceiling down on you. They kinda peaked a bit early with those; the final siege/boss fight had some effort put into it, but it just couldn't exceed or even match the epicness.

Now I'm wrapping up some side and miscellaneous content before going on to Dragonborn. The environmental storytelling in the dungeon where you find the dead bodies of adventurers, the undead they killed, and the puzzles they solved was delightful. Too bad Bethesda is terrible at plots and (largely) dialogue.

Josh-quotes:

Josh said:
it's true, the people who want to make lesbian comfort zone III and feelings time:identity discovery either bailed out on making all the big budget violent games or were never going to make the something like that ever, because you'd have to work on gameplay, and that's the least like writing a tumblr diary entry
a lot of the more story/feels-based concepts would probably work best as interactive experiences without gameplay elements anyway. something like kentucky route zero would be less enjoyable with gameplay, IMO. how many adventure games have been fine to great as interactive stories but suffered because gameplay elements went in even when it wasn't necessary or important?

Josh said:
It depends on whether the interactivity and/or the feels are necessary or important.
papers, please does do a great job of melding gameplay and thematic/story elements because it has a core mechanic that keeps building over time and stress/oppression are part of the vibe. most story/adventure scenarios don't have core activities outside of environmental exploration and really varied context-specific interactions. they usually feel fine until odd minigames get inserted like the motorcycle fight above. there's only one section in the game where ben does that and it's really weird even though it's arguably stylistically appropriate. ben slamming the bartender's face into the bar by his nosering also seems stylistically appropriate but they made it a one-off moment in a conversation instead of turning it into a mechanic. compare that to the lucasarts indy games where the fist fighting minigame both seems appropriate (indiana jones punches ppl a lot in the films) and is spread out enough that it feels well-paced (as far as i remember, anyway).

you could design mechanics to directly operate conway's truck in kentucky route zero, but navigating the maps as-is gives the appropriate sense of bewilderment/wonder (high), mental challenge (low), physical challenge (none) for that specific game. not navigating the maps at all would make the game worse. making the navigation more complex/stressful/difficult would also be worse. i don't think there's an ideal abstract balance of gameplay/story/whatever for all games. i think it's great that we have some games that stress demanding, high-focus gameplay with no effort on an explicit story, games/interactive whatevers that are atmospheric wandering feelfests with no gameplay at all, and a bunch of other stuff across the spectrum.

Of course most RPGs are somewhere in-between.

Additionally, guess who's already spent more hours playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel than Wasteland 2? Here's a hint: There are some who call him Tim.

imweasel

Josh Sawyer said:
:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Skyrim journal update: Blood on the Ice was a surprisingly ambitious/hands-off sidequest for Bethesda/Skyrim, pity it ended as a "a tangled skein of nightmare scripting" that shipped "as a broken mess of half-fulfilled dreams" that not even an unofficial patch could completely fix. I had to look up how to fix it with console commands. Of course it's okay for game journalists to get mad at New Vegas for its breaking quests, but not their precious SKyrim.

Time for Threatzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Josh said:
someone else said:
Josh said:
someone run a burning wheel game pls
Id love to run a burning wheel over your body about 10 times for the abominations against gaming you've committed. Fuck you
wtf

Someone like Benjanun Sriduangkaew would probably get annoyed at this: men shrugging off death threats to one another. However, the difference between this (as well as Grant Morrison saying he'd like to run into Mark Millar with his car) and what she does is that it's funny wordplay. Though it's perfectly understandable why a possible sociopath/autist wouldn't understand humor.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"Of course it's okay for game journalists to get mad at New Vegas for its breaking quests, but not their precious SKyrim."

So, you've played it long enough to not be talking complete bollocks (but then again this is Roguey), so what's your verdict?
Why is Skyrim at least three times more popular & successful that New Vegas, Roguey? We already established it was marketing mind you but you insisted playing the game was necessary, as if the game itself and the quality (or lack thereof) of it was a the major factor in it's popularity.

Also, still not bored of the same half-assed quests, copy & paste dungeons and popamole RPG systems & general gameplay yet?

:negative: <- me when I look at the modern industry & it's audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom