Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguey vs the Grognards Thread

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FUCK OFF.

I think you missed a word.

WL is THE shit.

FUCK YEAH!!!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I respect Sawyer for arguing his strong beliefs. But to be fair... the guy is a complete and utter fucking moron.
Not only the smartest guy at Obsidian but also working on RPGs in general.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If he was so smart he'd be working on a game he actually wants to work on. L0L

TheGreatOne

Arcane
When the released version of PoE turns out to be shit, it will cause a glorious shitstorm
c5e2e39a3467b73bc028e64a688eebe7.gif

Grognards vs tranny: the angry mob with pitchforks edition. Winter can't come soon enough.
If he was so smart he'd be working on a game he actually wants to work on. L0L
When this guy writes more coherent and intelligent posts than you Roguey, it's time to consider seppuku.

oneliner

Educated
Ex-Bioware Austin-developed turn-based crap got slammed by JES :yeah:

Josh said:
some guy said:
some weirdo said:
The thing is, video games are already quite good at grid-based shenanigans. My obsessions right now are The Banner Saga, Invisible, Inc. and Crypt of the Necrodancer, all of which are phenomenal bits of gridutainment. And while a neat thing about pen and paper games is that players can run them however they want, the rules are always going to steer you. One of my favourite indie roleplaying games gives players a secret power they can only use when having sex for that exact reason—to encourage romantic entanglements.
because I really want to sit around a table or at my computer in roll20 encouraging my players to roleplay sucking and fucking each other. That sounds like a worthwhile saturday evening
also, banner saga's combat isn't particularly great.

Though to its credit he did sink a bit more time into it than D:OS and Wasteland 2 which were rightly abandoned after less than an hour.

Anyone abandon D:OS or Wasteland 2 after less than 1 hour have no idea what fun is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ex-Bioware Austin-developed turn-based crap got slammed by JES :yeah:

Josh said:
some guy said:
some weirdo said:
The thing is, video games are already quite good at grid-based shenanigans. My obsessions right now are The Banner Saga, Invisible, Inc. and Crypt of the Necrodancer, all of which are phenomenal bits of gridutainment. And while a neat thing about pen and paper games is that players can run them however they want, the rules are always going to steer you. One of my favourite indie roleplaying games gives players a secret power they can only use when having sex for that exact reason—to encourage romantic entanglements.
because I really want to sit around a table or at my computer in roll20 encouraging my players to roleplay sucking and fucking each other. That sounds like a worthwhile saturday evening
also, banner saga's combat isn't particularly great.

Though to its credit he did sink a bit more time into it than D:OS and Wasteland 2 which were rightly abandoned after less than an hour.

Anyone abandon D:OS or Wasteland 2 after less than 1 hour have no idea what fun is.

Anybody who abandons a massive fucking RPG after less than 1 hour must have a full-time job to do designing a massive RPG of his own. Don't fall for Roguey's trolling, newbie.

Unwanted

Unwanted
'Nards can suck my nads. Sawyer rules and PoE will rule.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
What a find :salute:
I don't hate you JE, but you just seem like a tricky dicky.
That said, it is pretty funny (not haha funny, but funny in the coincidental sense of the word) that most of the projects that you work on either turn out shitty or get cancelled, do you feel jinxed? I mean, I'm still pretty pissed about IWD 2.
JE Sawyer is better at making forum posts on Something Awful than he is at making videogames
Jed said:
No one hates JE here. He's just too sensitive and has no sense of humor. Whatsoever.
And he has horrible design ideas

And this is how people felt about him in 2006, before he developed Molyneux syndrome and hijacked PoE :lol:

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If someone were to make Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord today, I would not consider it to be an RPG.

Jesus, that quote. He really does hate RPGs, it's not just a Roguey-spawned meme.

Athelas

Arcane
Judging by the Codex's top RPG picks, most people here agree with him. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That old thread is quite interesting as a glimpse at Codex culture circa 2006.

Vault Dweller said:
Come on, people, give Josh a fucking break. If you disagree with his designs, argue, but cut the personal attacks out.

Shutup pansy. Some people are busy trying to attack developers over here!

Oh hell, you're all cunts.

Fact of the day: JE Sawyer really stands for Jinxed Evil Sawyer. AHAHAHA. I crack me up.

Battle of the Overminds. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
J.E. Sawyer said:
D&D is sort of bizarre in how it divides things. I thought the division of melee skills in the first game felt clumsy and effectively forced a continual point dump if characters wanted to use them throughout the game. We'll be changing that now.
Just so I can get this right, JE has taken over a project and the first thing he's doing is merging combat skills because, shock horror, it's necessary to actually put points into them so you can use them?

It's happening again!!

Can we open the official Codex review of PoE with this?

Ninjerk

Arcane
That old thread is quite interesting as a glimpse at Codex culture circa 2006.
This thread represents everything good and bad about the Codex. Non stop hilarity and cringe inducing douchery. Hmm, on second thought maybe this thread represents everything that is good and great about this board!

JE's all right. I hope he didn't take too much of this shit seriously.

2XXX

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was looking for
I wouldn't say I'm a dick. I do let people know what I think about their ideas, but I don't think I'm mean-spirited about it. If someone thinks that being critical = being a dick, they must have lived a very sheltered life.
to counter anyone who says JES is arrogant. For some reason I thought he said it on the Obsidian boards.

Anyway more YCS stuff

JES said:
hey rope kid i hope you game dosent require you to be a precog to build a character unlike wl2
it shouldn't. that's one of the reasons we've tried to make the attribute system really flexible and not front-load a lot of Very Specific Choices.

Additionally
10547343_670032013076899_583086925_n.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol: I briefly wonder how many words total I've inspired TheGreatOne to write in anger but it's not worth counting myself. Moving this reply to the more-appropriate thread since it's not about Elegant Pillars.

You think that post IE RTwP RPGs have good gameplay
Don't like NWN and kotor series at all, this really only kinda/sorta applies to DA.

and that Alpha Protocol and New Vegas had good gunplay.
Not AP, no. AP, as bad as it is, has better gunplay than Bloodlines though.

There's no point in making you play a turn based game because you would just whine how battles are too hard or how pawn and queen all builds aren't equal.
The latter's true enough, but have I complained about battles being too hard in KotC, SRR, ToEE, Wasteland?

You'd probably just spam Phil Fish quotes all day in a platformer forum and call every one who likes those old Japanese platformers a grognard for preferring games which were clearly way too unforgiving and challenging.
I refuse to play Fez. I also don't bother with modern platformers for the most part because I doubt they can compete with the memories I have of the older ones I used to play.

Kinda like youse guise with RPGs, except I have the self-awareness not to bother or even pay them much mind.

return to your kin to some forums where Zoe Quinn, Extra Credits and Errant Signal raise awareness of game industry's inherent misogyny and intellectually masturbate by coming up with pretentious new design terms that no one else uses.
I don't like any of those things. Especially cult of simplicity-supporting "Fallout 3 was better than NV because my father" Extra Credits.

(*)New Vegas indeed made more money and is therefore better than System Shock 2 and VTMB. Just like how Final Fantasy 7&X and Skyrim are all far greater RPGs than any game JES has ever made.
You keep strawmanning me. What's important is audience satisfaction; it doesn't matter how large or small the audience is as long as there's enough to pay for the cost of development and the majority of those paying fans are satisfied.

Anyway a notable Yixer posted something I agree with so of course I have to paste it here
the NeoRPG Renaissance I begged for at one point came and now I'm begging the devs to take it, along with Dice Based Resolution, back away.

Though I don't agree with removing chaos entirely. I would be interested in seeing how completely deterministic pseudo-iso turn based/phasebased/rtwp crpgs would play, but I wouldn't want them to all be that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom