Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelike for a pansy

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, since all I can play on my undead laptop are pure 2d games (those that don't even require directdraw), I made my mind up to try a roguelike.

Is there one for a pansy like me? Is there one that would be nice to approach the genre? Like an easy-going one (not necessarily easy, but at least user friendly)? Maybe with tiles (optional)?

Yes, I'm admitting I'm not hardcore enough.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty beginner friendly, but also fun. I'm pretty sure there is a super next gen shiny graphics version of it as well.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
ADOM was my first. It's not necessarily the easiest, but I found it fairly intuitive, and structure-wise it's more similar to most CRPGs than to real Roguelikes. The ASCII graphics are also some of the clearest and easiest to understand that I've seen.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Stone Soup is beginner-friendly enough. The tile version is also pretty good.

Else you could try Desktop Dungeons though that one isn't a typical roguelike, although it shares many elements with them.

7hm

Scholar
DCSS for sure.

It's fairly easy to get into and there's not really the need to spoil yourself too much outside of some basic mechanical spoilers.

Get the tiles version here.

+ now with their own forums.

roll-a-die

Magister
Caves of Qud if you can tolerate a little bit of shitty ascii, probably one of the better new school roguelikes.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME 4) is nice and friendly as far as roguelikes go (try playing an alchemist for additional fun; you can also play it on the "Discovery" difficulty since you're a beginner), as is Stone Soup.

spectre

Arcane
ADOM was my first. It's not necessarily the easiest, but I found it fairly intuitive, and structure-wise it's more similar to most CRPGs than to real Roguelikes. The ASCII graphics are also some of the clearest and easiest to understand that I've seen.

This. The structure is really user friendly and, what is most important, you only need to learn a handful of keybindings to play it:

(o) Numpad keys for movement (includinng 5 for wait)
(o) < and > to ascend, descend stairs, or go into a wilderness square.
(o) l -> to 'l'ook at stuff, read up the monster description for clues.
(o) i -> to display inventory, equip stuff here.
(o) a -> to apply your skills (f.e. Detect Traps).
(o) t -> to use missle weapons, if you have them equipped.
(o) r -> to read magical scrolls and
(o) d -> to drink potions
(o) e -> to eat stuff (corpses are edible, but some may have bad effects)
(o) k - to kick stuff, kicking children may be fun, but it's main use is to kick down locked doors.
(o) Shift + T -> to change tactics - trade defensive ability for offensive, and vice versa - saves live in tough fights.
(o) Shift + Z -> select spell to cast (you may have to choose direction (including 5 - you ) afterwards) - to do it you must first read a spellbook a couple of times
(o) Shift + C -> to talk to stuff, useful for quests, sometimes enemies say something funny.
(o) ? -> for in-game manual, if you need to recall a more obscure keybinding.

Hints:
For starters, I recommend playing a Priest, detect item status is a p. cool skill for beginners, as you know what stuf you can safely equip. They also have healing, magic ability and are reasonably tough.
This class is best for experimenting, as you have access to most of the options.

For race, try dwarf (for toughness and detect traps), drakeling (for food preservation) or orc if you feel adventurous.

Visit the small village to stock on food
(you pickup things from the store, then 'p'ay the shopkeeper), then go south (not northeast) until you find a * which should read "strangely distorted cave entry", practice there until you feel comfortable. Don't try to go too deep, just switch levels until you're comfortable, they all should be randomized (it's a unique feature for this dungeon).

What else, door traps is one hated adom feature, if you see a locked door, be wary, as it may be trapped, and trap effect vary from 'mild stunning zap'' to 'burn all your fricken valuables fireball', that's why you may want to have Detect Traps skill, avoid the door if possible, and if all else fails,cautiously kick the door down from a diagonal position.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
Dunno about the easiest, but the most fun (for me) were ADOM, Ragnarok and Doom Roguelike (just for the fuck of it)

BlaineMono

Liturgist
ADOM was my first roguelike. It really isn't that bad, provided you are prepared to die a lot. And that was before 1.x (which I was told is a bit easier) was released.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
ADOM is defintely not for beginners. It's laden with unforeseeable instant death traps and esoteric bullshit that will fuck you over 5 hours later, like cats, killing too many blink dogs or bees, enemies that cast confusion (Might as well be 50% chance of instant death) berserking or stunning enemies, altars, and finally corruption. Hell, the puppy cave and druid quests alone probably have worse survival rates than the first 10 floors of Nethack. You need to be fairly expert about identifying equipment you find and using it effectively to do well at all. Either that or be willing to scum the ID.

I'd recommend Brogue or ToME 4. Much more noob friendly. DoomRL is pretty soft on easier difficulties too, though it plays quite differently from most roguelikes.

Crawl is a good middle-ground roguelike. Not too many secrets and death traps, but hardly forgiving either. Characters play fairly differently regarding food and qhat kind of equipment to prioritize. You'll need to manage Piety as well, which most of the more difficult roguelikes include, though most aren't as unbalanced and difficult to manage as Crawl's pantheon. ToME 2 or Angband is around here as well. They start out fairly easy and the difficulty and complexity ramp up only later.

I'd put Nethack and ADOM on the other end of the list, more for experienced players. I started with Nethack and it's the only RL I've ever won (DoomRL doesn't count unless it's on Nightmare or UV) but it requires a great deal of focus, attention to detail and a cautious mindset, all of which take some experience at roguelikes to acquire. You'll probably have more fun acquiring that experience in a game that won't kill you before you hit level 10 because you dared to open a door from a hallway or didn't know that you should avoid equipping twohanded swords unless they weigh 28s because getting stuck with a cursed iron sword will ruin you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom