Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a fan of Rockstar games?

• Total voters

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Bar none the best open world developer, the level of polish they put into their games is surreal, manages to even surpass blizzard.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
what did they do?

GTA 4 took more than 1 year to release on PC, and it was a horrible horrible port.

Max Payne 3 while having been well optimized, the multiplayer has riddled with conexion issues. Finding a match, even in the game's first weeks, has very difficult, and they didn't any sort of maintence to fix this, wich resulted in a dead online scene 6 months after release. Also it has here when they started asking too much space of the hard drives.

GTA V. Good port, very well optimized and no problems in conecting to a match but... took 2 years to come to the PC, it has no LAN play, no dedicated serves, no shelf-hosting, and it needs 100 GB to install!

Red Dead Redemption.

RDR 2 probably won't have a PC version has well so...

yeah...

oldbonebrown

Arcane
They used to be my all~
I remember dreaming that they were going to implement the melee from the warriors and the stealth from manhunt into GTA IV. After thousands of hours in San Andreas I thought it obvious that IV was to be the perfect game! But then the betrayal came, and video games were never the same.

Bully was their last noteworthy game. The Warriors their best.

I want a remake of GTA 2
I want a spiritual successor to The Warriors
I want a Manhunt 3 with shitty VR and wagglan controls
And I want a Bully 2 with an emo clique

Falksi

Arcane
Hate what they've evolved into. RDR & GTA 5 play them fucking selves. Just dull excuses for cut scenes, not games.

Now The Warriors, THERE was a game. Absolutely nailed the vibe of the film, brilliant way to expand it, and it played great too.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Max Payne 3 has my favorite third person shooter mechanics and impressive presentation. My main problem with it is that the action is usually over too quickly. I recently played through the whole game in 84 minutes (New York Minute Hardcore). That's not enough. I need Rockstar to make another linear action game like that. Their open world comedies aren't that appealing to me anymore. They don't play as well as MP3, there's a lot of dull commuting, the storytelling suffers for it and the humor is cringy.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Now The Warriors, THERE was a game. Absolutely nailed the vibe of the film, brilliant way to expand it, and it played great too.

Importantly, I think it also had perhaps the most impactful violence of any video game that I have seen. It has a truly gritty feel to it; running someone down and stomping on them until they puke blood and stop moving, while your gang cheers you on. All the games out there with more gore in them never have that ugly weight behind it that The Warriors had.

Falksi

Arcane

Importantly, I think it also had perhaps the most impactful violence of any video game that I have seen. It has a truly gritty feel to it; running someone down and stomping on them until they puke blood and stop moving, while your gang cheers you on. All the games out there with more gore in them never have that ugly weight behind it that The Warriors had.

Definitely, good shout. Everything felt like it had weight behind it.

Add to that the fact that there was a great blend of violence/stealth/side objectives/etc., a mint balance of interactive sections & story sections/cut scenes, and just a wonderful feel all round, and it still remains one of my fave games to this day.

Criminally overlooked, The Warriors a stark reminder of what Rockstar could truly do well when they put their mind to it. Most things they've put out lately have been real lame.

-------------------------------------

In fact fuck it, I'm gonna heap some more love on this bad boy, you know why? Because back in the 90's the Beat 'Em Up was thriving and a quality genre. The Streets of Rage series, Final Fight, Street Fighter 2 etc. Pure quality wasn't hard to find for simple, mindless fun.

As games evolved into 3-D that was lost massively and, although we had a few Street Fighter "upgrades" and the noteable Soul Blade/Calibur series, there was nothing yet to capture the glory of 90's beat em ups.

Along comes "The Warriors" and BOOM! Suddenly it felt as if Beat 'Em Ups had found their place in the new gens. Suddenly it felt as if that extra bit of depth which people now expect in modern games had been included, and balanced superbly with the simple 80's/90's Beat Em Up concepts.

The Warriors should have inspired & hailed in a new era & dawn for Beat Em Ups. It was superb. And I still feel frustrated that it didn't, and that we get shite games which play themselves like RDR & GTA 5 instead.

Last edited:

A user named cat

Bully was pretty damn good too, very overlooked. The PC port was initially botched to shit but after being patched, it runs just fine.

Last time I tried it on Win 7 64 bit I couldn't get past the first cutscene, kept crashing.
I didn't have any issues playing through it a few years back. I'm on Win 7 64 bit as well. No crashes or performance problems. Just install the scholarship edition and latest 1.200 patch. I'm sure the Steam version is already updated. Fun game while it lasts.

Ash

Arcane
Anyone play Red Dead Revolver? Right now I'd rather replay that than Red Dead Redemption, even though it was rather forgettable.

Give me old school GTA (up to San Andreas) and Manhunt 1. Red Dead Revolver and Midnight Club games were alright. The rest are just too damn boring.
Also Max Payne 1 + 2 are good but those weren't developed by R+, only published.

Disclaimer: only game I think I haven't tried of theirs is The Warriors.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I remember playing Vice City and having some fun. Then tried Mafia 1 and realized how inferior Vice City really was. Havent touched many Rockstar games since.

Abhay

Augur
Vice city wasn't really that bad , esp, compared to GTA III. Its quite fun with good amount of freedom - significantly absent from modern GTA's.
GTA4/5 feels very dumbed down even when compared to older GTA's.
What new ideas do these modern GTA's have to offer ( besides graphics and physics ) that we have never experienced before in the 3D era?
In fact, 90% of the story missions ( including side missions ) found in GTA 4/5 are exactly lifted ( similar in nature ) from the 3D era GTA's. The only difference being that these missions are far more linear, and scripted having hardly any freedom in them compared to those same missions of the older titles. Even RDR missions are more or less similar to the missions found in early GTA's.
GTA 2 is the only one that I feel quite refreshing to play in terms of mission variety and tools available to approach them.
The stories in GTA IV and 5 are also nothing new. They are just GTA III, VC and SA stories meshed together with modern setting and slight differences in the characterization of the protagonists, trying to be more realistic rather than wtf? CJ flying a jetpack and jetplanes? It doesn't makes sense!?!? STORY SUCKS!!!...
Seriously, Rockstar needs to stop churning out that same GTA's under the garb of "modern HD Era" when there's hardly anything that separates it from the older titles we have already experienced before, other than modern graphics and engine upgrades. Rockstar didn't even try to attempt and bring a change to those specific aspects ( like storytelling, and mission variety ) in making these new GTA's.
Its exacly the case like COD where players keep buying the same game with not much new to offer, and yet they surpass the sales of the previous COD titles.
Its a mystery to me how the reviewers, and importantly, the fans can give Rockstar such a long rope and overlook the fact that games like GTA have hardly evolved in design, and experience, esp. the stupid stories in themlike GTA IV and MP3 being labelled as Oscar worthy.??.

Falksi

Arcane
GTA 4 & 5 are both abysmal, but annoyingly so as they both go against the principles of what made Vice City & the earlier games so great - mindless, OTT fun.

Saints Row 4 is more of a spiritual successor to Vice City IMO. But I don't think any sandbox game has captured the magic of Vice City yet. Mainly because I don't think any other era had the magic vibe, music, neon etc. which the 80's had.

I hate my life and I want it to be the 80's again.

mbv123

Arbiter
I liked GTA IV. Liberty City was one of the most detailed cities ever (shame there was not much to do around there) and the story was neat. It's just people hated it because it was too edgy and serious and the complete opposite of San Andreas/Vice City, but I admire R* for trying something new and different. Shame that V regressed in every way imaginable.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
GTA V was awesome, I liked the characters, the story, the world building, and there was a ton of shit to do. Rockstar still makes the bestest open world games.

sullynathan

Arcane
Codexers need to stop fooling themselves. You play GTA to fuck shit up and cause mayhem. GTA V allows you to do this more than every single GTA game before it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Codexers need to stop fooling themselves. You play GTA to fuck shit up and cause mayhem. GTA V allows you to do this more than every single GTA game before it.
Not really. Fuck shit up in GTA V and the cops will show in five seconds. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of nowhere. You can be in the wilderness firing a gun at nothing and they'll still come to kill you. The single player story doesn't want you to do that either. The characters all have their morals and don't seem the type to murder indiscriminately. They're not blank slates like the old protagonists. Did they bring back killing sprees or were those mini-games just against gangs? I don't remember.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
muh gta v sucks meme

GTA V sucks just as much as every other GTA game, so they're all equally good/shitty. Last exceptional GTA game was Chinatown Wars.

sullynathan

Arcane
Not really. Fuck shit up in GTA V and the cops will show in five seconds. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of nowhere. You can be in the wilderness firing a gun at nothing and they'll still come to kill you. The single player story doesn't want you to do that either. The characters all have their morals and don't seem the type to murder indiscriminately. They're not blank slates like the old protagonists. Did they bring back killing sprees or were those mini-games just against gangs? I don't remember.
The only blank slate protag to my knowledge was the main character of GTA 3, even CJ cared about his mom and some other shit.

The rest of your comment ,I don't remember it ever being true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom