Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

River City Ransom: Underground

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/422810/

One of the best beat'em ups of the NES era is back!

Many years after vanquishing Slick on the school rooftop, Alex and Ryan must take to the streets again. Help a new crop of fighters defeat the hordes of River City, and clear their name in a sinister kidnapping plot. You'll earn money, unlock moves, and upgrade your skills in a sprawling city on the brink of total chaos. This modern take on an old classic features over 500 unique street fighting moves, dozens of weapons, secrets galore, and a bonus arena fighting mode.

Features:
  • Online co-op and arena death match for up to 4 players
  • A new chapter in the River City universe
  • Unlock 10 playable heroes in the story campaign, each with their own fighting style
  • 140 levels to explore, complete with hazards and secrets
  • 22 shops to upgrade your characters
  • Arena multiplayer combat mode features team selection, modifier modes, and CPU partners
  • Play as hero or villain in intense arena combat: can you unlock all 44 fighters?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Just got released, original was one of the best games in the entire NES library - fuck your double dragons and turtles.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fucking hell I just heard this got released from a freaking streamer. I need this game inside me, RCR is amazing.

Just got released, original was one of the best games in the entire NES library
As well as the GBA and 3DS.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmmm, was going to buy but I'm reading that the game has problem with controllers. Can't play a game like this on keyboard.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Loved the nes game as a kid and iv met few people who have heard of it might check it out:bounce:

da_rays

Augur
Just got this. Awesome nostalgia trip. I was still playing the original NEs version on my WII a few weeks ago. That launch trailer also sealed the deal ~ Seem im lucky , dont have any controllers problems for now . And im playing with an old logitech Ps3 style gamepad and a XBOX wireless controller. also LOL at the fighting class where Abobo trash through the wall.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
hasn't the JP river city have a bunch of sequels?

oh it's made by some canadian indie dev
To be honest most of JP sequels are just kinda rehashes of the original.

At least this looks a little a bit different, albiet less RCR-y (especially with no eating to level up).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Does no one own the rights to RCR anymore?

Or did they get permission to use it?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground
While Technōs is no more, a new company, Million Co., was founded by former Technōs staff, acquiring the rights to all intellectual property in 2001. We acquired a license from Million in April to make an official installment in the series, which means we're on the hook to make sure our game can exist in the River City canon.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
(And Arc System Works acquired all of Technos IPs from Million last year or so, but the licensing deal is still in place with ASW.)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/app/422810/discussions/0/2217311444344457035/
Why will we replace the music in River City Ransom: Underground?
Because we can’t spend another minute thinking about the false DMCA complaints filed against us and our YouTube and Twitch community.

Making River City Ransom: Underground required a tremendous amount of effort, of financial resources - from both the Kickstarter community and Conatus - and a leap of faith by the RCR licensor, Million Co. Ltd. and its successor, Arc System Works, Ltd. The game took nearly four years to make, four years that its many contributors dedicated themselves to its completion, gave up time with friends and family and made many other sacrifices, less quantifiable but equally important, to bring the game to life.

Like many Kickstarter projects, we started with optimism. We quickly learned that meeting the technical challenges of making a smooth, responsive, online, multiplayer fighting game with dynamic shadows, proper sorting and a mass of content (full campaign story, 500+ unique fighting moves, 120+ levels, 44 playable combatants, etc.) was a daunting task. One year into development we had to rewrite our game engine from scratch. It was never smooth sailing, though creative efforts rarely are.

I am incredibly proud that we finished the game, despite the challenges and setbacks. Because we had overrun our schedule and the initial crowdfunding budget by a large margin, the game has flaws. Whether they are bugs or balancing issues, nobody is more acutely aware of those flaws than we are, and we have read every bug report we've ever received. We always expected that we would continue to release frequent updates, to work toward a definitive version of the game. This was a labor of love.

Before Alex Mauer began her campaign, we were actively seeking outside funding to bring the game to the next level of polish and to publish it on major console platforms. We believe strongly that we are not far from reaching the game’s full potential.

I only bring these details to light to illustrate that when a game developer makes a game, there are going to be criticisms, from mild to harsh. That’s how developers and players engage each other. Whatever the result, it’s the creative process that’s important – to anyone who is brave enough to create something from nothing, and to anyone who is generous enough to purchase and play those creations. Which is why I am so alarmed that the contributions of so many people over many years (not just Conatus' efforts but the efforts of the creators of the entire Kunio-kun franchise, to which we are humbled to be associated) could be thrown into disarray so easily and so unjustly.

It is out of respect for those many creators that I have chosen to commission a new soundtrack to replace the music from RCR:U. I believe it’s the best chance that RCR:U has of achieving a "clean break" from any negative associations with Alex Mauer’s wrongful claim. My hope is that when the creators and I think about this game or the years of our lives that have gone into creating it, we see the game for what it is, a beautiful, if imperfect, realization of the vision and work of many, rather than the controversy that came after.

Let me make it absolutely clear – Alex Mauer’s claim that the game violates her copyright is false. She is a co-creator of the music, with Dino Lionetti and Rich Vreeland. Our written license agreement is with Rich, who subcontracted Alex and Dino. When Rich offered to pay Alex an equal share of the music fee for her contribution to the game soundtrack, she emailed back: “oh that's awesome man i'm all for it thanks!” Rich has shown us the documentation that Alex was paid in full.

Our lawyers advise us that there is no legal basis for Alex’s DMCA take-down claims. That’s undeniable by anyone except Alex. But being legally right is only half the story – as a practical matter, the costs of legal action would put console development plans on hold, perhaps indefinitely. We don’t have any interest in spending our time and our energy dealing with this matter further.

So, we’re swapping out the soundtrack. When it’s completed, we hope that it will delight you, and we hope that you keep taking a chance on independent games, on Kickstarter projects, and on all labors of love. They’re worth it.

Daniel

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom