Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Risen trilogy > the rest

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yes they're janky and flawed, but I still had more fun with them than any other RPG. The things they do well are a combination you don't find in many other games.

Great exploration.
Superb sense of progression as you gain levels and new moves which matter.
Low fantasy.
Unique setup, pirates, inquisition, voodoo...
Humour.
Challenging.
Nothing is scaled.
Simple yet deep character system.
That Bitch Mara

Name me another RPG which checks these. Gothic games come close, but overall Risen trilogy > Gothic Trilogy.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
possibly_retarded.png

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
TL;RD
Gothic series are very good games, with shitload of atmosphere and fun. Except Gothic 3, but mods repair it. I don't care about rest of it, Gothic ended on 3. End of the story.

Risen is good, fun game, with some of spirit of old Gothic and this make it even better. Let's forget about rest of it. For our own sake.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Its not just Risen vs Gothic, Risen vs everything else. If you point me to an RPG with similar qualities i'll grateful, because I know of none.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
OK, I'll play with you for a minute:

Great exploration.
Superb sense of progression as you gain levels and new moves which matter.
Low fantasy.
Unique setup, pirates, inquisition, voodoo...
Humour.
Challenging.
Nothing is scaled.
Simple yet deep character system.
That Bitch Mara

Name me another RPG which checks these.

Ultima 9.

# Great exploration - You have to go over 75% of Britannia to beat the main quest, and there are nice rewards for exploring the remaining 25%. Check.
# Character progression - I wouldn't say it's "superb", but there is a noticeable sense of progress as you gain levels and discover new combat moves. Check.
# Low fantasy - One world is threatened by Titans, the other by the Red Titan. Magic is involved. Check.
# Unique setup - A cluster of islands that makes up an occupied land under the tyrannical rule of a despot. Pirates are also involved. Check?
# Humour - The witty banter between the Avatar and Raven, and not to mention the infamous "What's a Paladin?" joke and the sharp biting truth of the lighthouse quest. Check.
# Challenging - It really is. Check.
# No scaling - Absolutely no scaling whatsoever. Check.
# Simple yet deep character system. The character system is simple, but the depth is lacking. Check...ish.
# That bitch Mara - That dick Blackthorne. We can go further and throw that demon in Moonglow. Check.

Cthulhu_is_love

Gothic games come close, but overall Risen trilogy > Gothic Trilogy.

:fight:
NEVER HEARD SOMETHING THIS RETARDED!!!

Everyone and I mean fucking everyone knows that the Risen titles just try to copy Gothic and they fail so miserably it isn't even funny.

I'm so :butthurt: right now, I think I will order a pizza.

See what you have done!!!

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Sorry bro, but you're wrong. I haven't played better RPGs than the Risen games, period. We'll see about Ultima 9, waiting to snatch it from GoG on sale now.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_is_love

Ok, I know there are times everyone wants to troll a little bit.

But what is Risen(yet the best part of the series) more than a failed copy of Gothic 2?

Edit: And you know about Ultima 9 and that's part of the troll? Please say yes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
We'll see about Ultima 9, waiting to snatch it from GoG on sale now.

The good news is, even though it's the last game in the Ultima series, there's little to no need to have played the previous games. Ultima 9 doesn't weigh itself overly much with the lore and story of its prequels, and just focuses on the big finale. There's a curator at the museum early on that can tell you more if you wish to, though.

bloodlover

Arcane
A bit offtopic but U9 a good game? Most reviews I've read either bash the shit out if or say it's okish at best. I haven't played it but if it's comparable to the first Risen (and Gothic I guess?) I'd be up for it.

Backstabber

Educated
Ultima 9 is like an unfinished, barely functional prototype of the first Gothic, with a non-sensical plot tacked on.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gothic games come close, but overall Risen trilogy > Gothic Trilogy.

:fight:
NEVER HEARD SOMETHING THIS RETARDED!!!

Everyone and I mean fucking everyone knows that the Risen titles just try to copy Gothic and they fail so miserably it isn't even funny.

I'm so :butthurt: right now, I think I will order a pizza.

See what you have done!!!
Yeah a pizza would be nice.

Siobhan

Arbiter
The funny thing about Ultima 9 is that it's much worse than reviews make it out to be. They talk about franchise rape, horrible lore, bad dialogue, bad voice acting, and all that other storyfag crap that is ultimately easy to ignore (in particular if you use the mod that completely rewrites the story). But once you're done with that you still have

- horrible dungeon design (linear, boring switch puzzles, that one dungeon that's so shitty that they put a teleporter in the middle just so you can leave it halfway through),
- horrible quests (one fetch quest after another, the cherry on the top being the giant lighthouse quest with 100 gold pieces as a reward ),
- linear, railroaded exploration (if you sequence break, e.g. by crossing the mountains before you're supposed to by abusing the game's physics, the game can become unwinnable),
- horrible combat (just circle strafe around enemies and wack them till they drop, or shoot dragons from a distance)
- horrible economy (you'll be swimming in money immediately and still can't buy anything worth shit),
- horrible engine (crashes, "item bridges", falling through elevators, a million bugs)

And still, I remember me and my friends played the hell out of it when it came out and even switched from Windows ME to 2000 because somebody said NTFS would improve the frame rate. In hindsight, we were a bunch of fucking retards. Good thing I'm on the codex now, where we have totally reasonable discussions about Risen.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
^ Theses are im sure exaggerations. Ive heard similar about risen 2 yet it was an excellent game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
adddeed - Nope. It's true. Every single word Siobhan wrote there is true. In fact, Ultima 9 only has five things going for it:

# It looks good - or to be more exact, it looks good for a game from 1999.
# The soundtrack is very good.
# It has a cool box.
# The box has nice extras in it.
# It led to Doug the Eagle writing this article, which is hilarious to read once you understand the humour of Ultima 9.

Sadly you seem to have missed the part when I'm pulling your leg. You asked a question in a stupid manner, and I saw an opportunity to troll you a little and give you a stupid response. But in all fairness, the points I mentioned are true, I'm not lying - it's just that I'm not telling you a lot of things that you should know.

The game is challenging because it's a challenge to keep it running for any amount of time without crashing.
There's no scaling of any kind in Ultima 9. Not even graphical scaling. What you see is what you get.
Exploring yields rewards, but you'll be looking in the strangest places to find the really obscure stuff, like the book that gives you the Two-handed Mastery skill.
Ultima 9 relies so little on its prequels because it takes a huge shit on all the lore built and established by the series up to this point. That's 20 years of lore flushed down the drain.
And the humour? It's the kind of humour where you're laughing nervously along because everyone else in the room finds it funny that they have to kill you now.
Blackthorne is a dick, though.

But if you've taken the trouble to get it - do go on and play it, if only to see for yourself the Biggest Betrayal In PC Gaming History, the Biggest Betrayal in RPG History and the Second-Biggest Betrayal in Gaming History, only surpassed by the E.T. game in 1983 - which led to the gaming industry crashing and almost dying.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I kind of liked Ultima IX's dungeons, but maybe I have low standards for that sort of thing.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
At least nobody mentions that one game that shouldn't be mentoned, when speaking of Gothic.

Adamaklas

Literate
i do enjoy playing many stuff stoned too man ,but ,youuuuu know ,tripping balls might impair your judgement.

Keep up man, you will really enjoy Arcania too ! Especially when you go into a town which is a big TREE!

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Still waiting for someone to point me to a better game than Risen or its sequels, other than Gothic which is more or less the same as we all know, though not better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One game makes a series now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom