Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Modron

Arcane
That's why I didn't like muskets, it was just roll, shoot, roll, shoot. You can't parry so it just felt like an endless game of keep-away. I don't remember Risen 2 feeling like that, but I don't remember the game well enough to say what was different. Sword and pistol is more varied with parrying, counter-attacks and pistol shots. You definitely still spend a lot of time dodging the quicker enemies like ghouls and scavengers, but combat as a whole is more interesting (IMO).
That's because Risen 2 had cooldowns on guns, so you would fire off your rifle then your pistol (or scattergun kind of drawing a blank on what the short barrel was) then run around until they cooled down and repeat the process ad nauseam. Granted for the big enemies this was sadly preferable than attacking with melee.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you go to the warehouse in Antigua with Patty(your character's sister) apparently she thinks it's a good idea to inform you it's where she first had sex.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's why I didn't like muskets, it was just roll, shoot, roll, shoot. You can't parry so it just felt like an endless game of keep-away. I don't remember Risen 2 feeling like that, but I don't remember the game well enough to say what was different. Sword and pistol is more varied with parrying, counter-attacks and pistol shots. You definitely still spend a lot of time dodging the quicker enemies like ghouls and scavengers, but combat as a whole is more interesting (IMO).
That's because Risen 2 had cooldowns on guns, so you would fire off your rifle then your pistol (or scattergun kind of drawing a blank on what the short barrel was) then run around until they cooled down and repeat the process ad nauseam. Granted for the big enemies this was sadly preferable than attacking with melee.
You can hotkey weapons so I just swapped to my sword when my gun was on cooldown in Risen 2.

Deleted Member 16721

Risen 2 > Risen 3
and
Risen 1 > Risen 2

Making Risen 3 my least favorite of the series. It wasn't bad, it was good/great, but every game PB makes is great and I enjoyed the other 2 Risens more than 3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think Risen 2 is objectively worse at being an open world RPG, but it did have a style and wit to it that perhaps made it more entertaining overall on some level.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, it's 1 > 2 > 3.
2 was arguably a worse game but the humour and witty writing absolutely saved it. It also felt like more of a finished game than 3, 3's ending is laughably abysmal.

Modron

Arcane
What I lliked from 2nd game was crazy OP muskets and funny voodoo quests. Other than those 3rd game is better imo.
In true Sawyerian balance you had to choose between having the best quests in the game (ones with voodoo interaction in them) and having good guns.

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem with having multiple ways to solve quests is that when you don't you feel like the game regressed a bit. I had to find someone who knows voodoo for a quest and I had Bones right next to me, expected him to interject or at least have a dialogue option with him, but he didn't.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well I've become an untouchable god now. Not sure that means the game is too easy since you eventually hit that mark in all games of this type, but maybe it's a little soon. Melee is only at 60 and I'm in act 3. Who knows. Also the act change seems to have respawned normal monsters, which is weird for a PB game right? I feel like they've always stayed dead except for maybe certain quests. I'm having a hard time figuring out if there's a difference between weapons, i.e. speed or whatever. There's a warhammer that has like twice the max of my best sword and seems to be just as fast as a sword? Kind of weird.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Well I've become an untouchable god now. Not sure that means the game is too easy since you eventually hit that mark in all games of this type, but maybe it's a little soon. Melee is only at 60 and I'm in act 3. Who knows. Also the act change seems to have respawned normal monsters, which is weird for a PB game right? I feel like they've always stayed dead except for maybe certain quests. I'm having a hard time figuring out if there's a difference between weapons, i.e. speed or whatever. There's a warhammer that has like twice the max of my best sword and seems to be just as fast as a sword? Kind of weird.

That's one of the reasons people consider Risen 3 to be the easiest PB game, around 1/3d or so into the game the enemies become fodder for you char and no new enemies appear till the end of the game. Of course, reverse difficulty curve is a thing for CRPGs but usually they still try to come up with something a bit more challenging to throw at you in later stages of the game, Risen 3 is completely stale in that regard.

Act change respawns a small portion of monsters in every PB game IIRC so that's par for the course.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Fair enough, I don't remember it being so plentiful and obvious before but maybe I was just in a heavily repopulated area.
Consider playing Risen 1, in that game you'll have 9 trillion lizardmen respawned at every fucking corner of the map on a new chapter :despair:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Consider playing Risen 1, in that game you'll have 9 trillion lizardmen respawned at every fucking corner of the map on a new chapter :despair:

Oh I played it, I just have the memory of a gnat. I went magic user in that game for some reason, which is weird for me. Same with Two Worlds 2. Thinking about a sword focused replay soon.

Codex Year of the Donut
monsters also seem to spawn based on the time of day, I've teleported to an area I know I recently cleaned out and one or two monsters would be lurking around

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Monsters respawn in all PB games.
No. Nothing respawns in Gothic 1 and 2. When you progress to a new Act there are new spawns but there are no respawns. What's dead, stays dead. And if you didn't kill them in the previous Act you'll face them again plus the spawns from the new act.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well 30 hours in I'm finding the will to continue leaving me. Mostly because each island kind of feels the same. I put Kila off until last for whatever reason and just got there looking for a new island to explore, and it... looks the same as the others. Has the same enemies. It kind of sapped my energy out from under me, not gonna lie. Taking a break with some shooters and will hopefully go back and wrap the game up relatively quick-ish.

Codex Year of the Donut
Well 30 hours in I'm finding the will to continue leaving me. Mostly because each island kind of feels the same. I put Kila off until last for whatever reason and just got there looking for a new island to explore, and it... looks the same as the others. Has the same enemies. It kind of sapped my energy out from under me, not gonna lie. Taking a break with some shooters and will hopefully go back and wrap the game up relatively quick-ish.
Still had more variation than Risen 2, where every island felt like a straight copy paste. I'm on the final island and decided to shelve it for a bit.

Deleted Member 16721

No. Nothing respawns in Gothic 1 and 2. When you progress to a new Act there are new spawns but there are no respawns. What's dead, stays dead. And if you didn't kill them in the previous Act you'll face them again plus the spawns from the new act.

Right, I used the wrong word. New spawns happen in all PB games, not respawns. But every chapter that passes new monsters will spawn in, the ones you didn't kill usually stay, and the ones you did kill stay dead. You knew what I meant you bastard.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, yeah, that's the problem with having an open-ended game with factions on different islands and no level scaling. Anyway, at this point you should be op enough to just waltz through everything (especially if you're a mage, but it doesn't matter that much). Just be warned that the final island is super bad even on a "closing chapter of a PB game" scale.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, yeah, that's the problem with having an open-ended game with factions on different islands and no level scaling.

I mean, I'm just looking for some more variety and maybe some faction interplay. More a lack of resources issue than a genre issue, I'd guess. Other games have looked the same most of the way through but kept me much more engaged with interesting quest dynamics or faction play, like New Vegas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom