Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Baron Dupek

Arcane
94 pages about Risen 3 on Codex :decline:.
:lol: at potato having problem with Pirania Bytes gams
you missed one thing - there are bigger threads for even bigger garbage.
Or two for that matter - dicussion is slow like fuck because people already forgot about this game (except me, who dared to play it recently)

Now I need to read whole thread to see what people did for ninety pages...

exe

Augur
So I played Risen 1. It was basicly Gothic with a shittier more frustrating combat system. You have to hide behind your shield until you learn power attack, then you turn from glass to glass cannon. I still had a lot of fun and am thinking about replaying Chapter 1 with the other factions. Is it worth it? I have gotten sick of the combat system and starting as a level 1 scrub sounds like torture.

So why is Risen 2 and 3 shit compared to 1?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Risen 2 I found more mediocre and unmemorable than really bad. 3 was unbearable.
In short, worse combat, small islands rather than a detailed, extensive world to explore, simplified leveling options, and lack of challenge.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Risen 2 I found more mediocre and unmemorable than really bad. 3 was unbearable.
In short, worse combat, small islands rather than a detailed, extensive world to explore, simplified leveling options, and lack of challenge.
3 had a way more Gothic-ish atmosphere though.
I actually feel the other way round than you: while R3 certainly has its weak spots, Risen 2 is utter shit. Nothing about this game is good. It's a popamole "funny" version of a console-game for 12 year olds.
R 3 however was totally easy (which doesn't bother me tbh) and you're right about combat and levelling, but the exploration was pretty fun I think. But as I said, it's biggest plus is the great atmosphere on some islands.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
3 had a way more Gothic-ish atmosphere though.

you keep repeating this all the time and each time you do i wonder what you are smoking
hqdefault.jpg

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Risen 1 had a typical a-RPG combat system: aim, hit, active blocks and dodges. It was not very imaginative, just precise and functional, with a few good ideas.

Risen 2 and 3 completely destroyed the combat system by trying to switch to a genre that's very popular now, where multidirectional brawlers have throws and counters with both fighters locked in a spectacular animation. PB completely overplayed their hand, they have no skill in that area, the animations look subpar and the delay between button and action means you never really feel in control of the situation. Just like the 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean, you are better off making an overpowered gunslinger or magic user to one-shot enemies before they reach you.

I'm about to finish a playthrough of Shadow of Mordor and it's a good example of such a combat system done right: the amount of moves, throws and counters at your disposal is huge, the animations are over-the-top impressive, and assuming you play correctly, you are always 100% in control. You can be surrounded and almost re-enact the one-vs-many massacres of the trilogies, that's how good it looks and plays, and it also shows that the typcal Ubisoft open-world formula works as long as the game is good enough that you will take any excuse, and the collectibles are both low in numbers, easy to find and reach, and interesting. I'm told the combat system is very similar to the Batman games, so it's possibly also worth a look if you like superheroes.

Once you have played both Shadow of Mordor and Risen 1, it's impossible to accept a combat system like Risen 2 and 3.

Oh look at that combat,such impresive moves and so many combinations,look at the dude pressing that space button in so many ways...Look at his chin pressing that space button,oh my god..

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Risen 1 had a typical a-RPG combat system: aim, hit, active blocks and dodges. It was not very imaginative, just precise and functional, with a few good ideas.

Risen 2 and 3 completely destroyed the combat system by trying to switch to a genre that's very popular now, where multidirectional brawlers have throws and counters with both fighters locked in a spectacular animation. PB completely overplayed their hand, they have no skill in that area, the animations look subpar and the delay between button and action means you never really feel in control of the situation. Just like the 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean, you are better off making an overpowered gunslinger or magic user to one-shot enemies before they reach you.

I'm about to finish a playthrough of Shadow of Mordor and it's a good example of such a combat system done right: the amount of moves, throws and counters at your disposal is huge, the animations are over-the-top impressive, and assuming you play correctly, you are always 100% in control. You can be surrounded and almost re-enact the one-vs-many massacres of the trilogies, that's how good it looks and plays, and it also shows that the typcal Ubisoft open-world formula works as long as the game is good enough that you will take any excuse, and the collectibles are both low in numbers, easy to find and reach, and interesting. I'm told the combat system is very similar to the Batman games, so it's possibly also worth a look if you like superheroes.

Once you have played both Shadow of Mordor and Risen 1, it's impossible to accept a combat system like Risen 2 and 3.

Oh look at that combat,such impresive moves and so many combinations,look at the dude pressing that space button in so many ways...Look at his chin pressing that space button,oh my god..

Does it have Denuvo? That might explains it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Shadows of Mordor is good for a couple of hours, then it turns into the typical Ubisoft open world shit.

The batman games are vastly superior in every way.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
So I played Risen 1. It was basicly Gothic with a shittier more frustrating combat system. You have to hide behind your shield until you learn power attack, then you turn from glass to glass cannon. I still had a lot of fun and am thinking about replaying Chapter 1 with the other factions. Is it worth it? I have gotten sick of the combat system and starting as a level 1 scrub sounds like torture.

Another clueless poor soul. Risen 1's combat is one of the best. And no Risen 2 and 3 are not shit. Risen 2 has it all: the pirates, the voodoo stuff with the natives, the dialogue (often very funny), the characters, the pistols, the voice acting, the treasure hunting, the crew aspect, parrots and monkeys and ghost pirate captains and drinking rum and swearing and referring to the main enemy as that bitch Mara. Ditto Risen 3, which is Risen 2 +

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

I'm about to finish a playthrough of Shadow of Mordor and it's a good example of such a combat system done right
: the amount of moves, throws and counters at your disposal is huge, the animations are over-the-top impressive, and assuming you play correctly, you are always 100% in control. You can be surrounded and almost re-enact the one-vs-many massacres of the trilogies, that's how good it looks and plays, and it also shows that the typcal Ubisoft open-world formula works as long as the game is good enough that you will take any excuse, and the collectibles are both low in numbers, easy to find and reach, and interesting. I'm told the combat system is very similar to the Batman games, so it's possibly also worth a look if you like superheroes.

:retarded:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That's the game where about 25% into the story all form of challenge simply disappears, right?

That's exactly what completely ruined combat for me in Risen 2 and 3 and G3. In G1 and G2 and R1, it's true that there's a "trick" to each enemy, but that's called deliberate design and precise combat, that's what makes the combat in Dark Souls etc. sort of rudimental but at the same time addictive and engaging. That is based on having a character good enough for the situation but also a player who knows what they're doing regardless of how good their character is. While in G3, R2 and R3 you can expect a certain level of "player performance" just by spamming a couple of buttons at random, while completely ignoring the feedback of the game.

Last edited:
Admittedly R3 was close to be better in this regard, I had some fun with the magic and there was even some improvement in combat (over R2), they just had to ruin everything with flamboyant animations that detach player from character, and the broken invincibility dodge, or semi-useless dodge on "ultra" difficulty, after half-assed patching. Seems like PB is confused about invincibility frames and think each animation is all or nothing. In their games that had nice combat, the dodge move was short and took time to recover. And it worked. So they know how to do it.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
playthrough abandoned for first playthrough of Morrowind

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom