Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Alfons

Prophet
Go watch some youtube videos and learn how to play better...Risen isn't even that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngBtthH_3Jk
From the video description:
A single wolf can be easily beaten with sidesteps. Against a pack plan ahead: sidestep the intended target, while placing it between you and the others. (My play here isn't 100% flawless, but I get a little lucky.)
This video further illustrates my point. The game's AI makes no fucking sense, sort of. There are times where wolves stand 90 degrees to the side of the PC and they don't attack, sometimes they would. The 3 hit combo he does, sometimes wolves attack straight through it. The single backwards dodge after a combo that dodges an attack, sometimes wolves attack another time and hit you.

For example his ogre video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhyyVfsk5eo
Is the exact same thing I do. He even fucks up and stand in front of the ogre for too long and attacks instead of dodge backwards. But if you fight him long enough, you see the bullshit, he sometimes just attacks through a combo. Or just hits you with the regular swing while you're dodging backwards. I got one of these guys to like 5% health with a level 3 char with the sword and he just hit through my combo and killed me.

The game's not hard it's just inconsistent, which was my point from the very beginning.

Renevent

Cipher
Go watch some youtube videos and learn how to play better...Risen isn't even that hard.

From the video description:
A single wolf can be easily beaten with sidesteps. Against a pack plan ahead: sidestep the intended target, while placing it between you and the others. (My play here isn't 100% flawless, but I get a little lucky.)
This video further illustrates my point. The game's AI makes no fucking sense, sort of. There are times where wolves stand 90 degrees to the side of the PC and they don't attack, sometimes they would. The 3 hit combo he does, sometimes wolves attack straight through it. The single backwards dodge after a combo that dodges an attack, sometimes wolves attack another time and hit you.

For example his ogre video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhyyVfsk5eo
Is the exact same thing I do. He even fucks up and stand in front of the ogre for too long and attacks instead of dodge backwards. But if you fight him long enough, you see the bullshit, he sometimes just attacks through a combo. Or just hits you with the regular swing while you're dodging backwards. I got one of these guys to like 5% health with a level 3 char with the sword and he just hit through my combo and killed me.

The game's not hard it's just inconsistent, which was my point from the very beginning.

You asked for a video and I provided a video that illustrated what you asked for exactly. He also clearly gives you a workable strategy and shows his strategy without getting hit a single time.

There's something wrong with the way you are playing, and instead of trying to overcome and learn, you've gone full denial.

I wonder what would happen if you spent as much time and effort trying to learn to play better instead of trying to convince people the game isn't being fair...

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If I recall correctly, you could stunlock enemies in Gothic 1 + 2 (remember the Seekers?) so they could barely even attack you, but if you fucked up badly, you could also be stunlocked.
The combat system in Risen prevents you from being stunlocked, but it also means you can't stunlock the enemy (they don't stagger), which results in them breaking through your combo.
Eventually, I anticipated the 'combo breaks' and just backstepped after hitting a human two times. It became somewhat easier after learning their patterns.

Alfons

Prophet
I do exactly the same thing, and I occasionally get hit, I wanted a video to see if I am actually doing something wrong, turns out I don't and this is just one example of everything going right. You want to say it's bullshit go right ahead.

Risen prevents you from being stunlocked, but it also means you can't stunlock the enemy (they don't stagger), which results in them breaking through your combo.
Eventually, I anticipated the 'combo breaks' and just backstepped after hitting a human two times. It became somewhat easier after learning their patterns.
Yeah I figured that, and I've got no problem with enemies dodging out of combos, but allowing enemies that can one shot you hit through them is bullshit. Humans aren't a big deal since you block them forever, once you get the damaging parry ability humanoids can't really do anything since you can mix it up into combos.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Funny you should this because I'm playing Risen 3 and some guy asked me for 100 coins, I went with the "go fuck yourself option, he then made that 200 and when I refused again he beat be to a pulp, two swings. Good stuff.
You got hit in Risen 3. The game with the fully invincible roll. I think it's time to STFU.

Uhm not if you play in hardest difficulty, which removes invinicble frames and adds cooldown to your potions. I dont want to join the crowd here to pick on you but you should really git gud or something and stop blaming the game for your shortcomings.

Alfons

Prophet
Uhm not if you play in hardest difficulty, which removes invinicble frames and adds cooldown to your potions. I dont want to join the crowd here to pick on you but you should really git gud or something and stop blaming the game for your shortcomings.
:lol:
Thank you for not picking on me, but I can differentiate between bullshit and me fucking up and I have no problem admitting if it's the latter. It's not.

As far as Risen 3 goes, how many frames does it actually remove? I just booted up the game and kept rolling into a corner while three mobs tried their best to hit me and couldn't.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Nobody EVER chooses a higher difficulty setting for any kind of RPGs because they always just end up giving the enemy more HP instead of actually making the game harder, because said games are rarely ever balanced around higher difficulties.
I guess Risen 3 does something different in that aspect, but don't blame anyone for not playing it on higher difficulties.

Dodging into range or exploiting their missed attacks?
There's a forward dodge I don't know about?

You do realize you don't have to be staring at the enemy at all times?

You can be wayyy more aggressive than this and not even need a shield. Trick is to only do 1 or 2 hits then dodge and do the first 1 or 2 again. As long as you can keep one wolf blocking the others it takes like 10s to finish. The chance of the target wolf escaping the stunlock and dodging back (leaving you open to the other two) is almost nil so long as you don't get greedy with the 3rd attack.

Basically the melee version of circle strafing around a group while nothing can hit you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Alfons is a shitposter. Film at 11. Why are people even bothering with him? Risen 1 combat is not that hard unless you're one of those derps that mindlessly mashes down the attack button. It's a give and take. I could understand if you had trouble with Brogor (spelling?) early on in the Don's camp but wolves and shit? Come on...

Alfons Plays Darksouls would be a pretty amusing series to watch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
On a brighter note it's encouraging me to replay Risen again (after the disappointment of Risen 3).

Alfons

Prophet
I could understand if you had trouble with Brogor (spelling?) early on in the Don's camp but wolves and shit? Come on...
Alright, dumb fuck confirmed. problems with fucking brogar...wtf.

Doktor Best

Arcane
:lol:
Thank you for not picking on me, but I can differentiate between bullshit and me fucking up and I have no problem admitting if it's the latter. It's not.

As far as Risen 3 goes, how many frames does it actually remove? I just booted up the game and kept rolling into a corner while three mobs tried their best to hit me and couldn't.

But there are several people telling you that youre wrong, whereas there is nobody who is backing up your claims. All that despite that fact that the Risen series doesnt get all too much love by this community so we can hardly all be fanboys. That should get you thinking.
Did you install patch 1.2?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
ogJvRi6.jpg

From Pirahna Bytes FB.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
A ship. Mountains. Trees that aren't tropical. I don't want a new Risen game. :(

Alfons

Prophet
But there are several people telling you that youre wrong, whereas there is nobody who is backing up your claims. All that despite that fact that the Risen series doesnt get all too much love by this community so we can hardly all be fanboys. That should get you thinking.
By several you mean 3 or 4? Out of which one completely agrees with me about the randomness, he just says it's great. One admits to not being very good and cheesing certain enemies. Another says Brogar is harder than wolves. The only one that seems to know wtf he's talking about to an extent is Average Manatee . Out of all these fucks, all repeat the mantra that "Risen isn't that difficult" which I never said it was, I said it's inconsistent. I just make the assumption, which I don't think is incorrect, that most motherfuckers that share their "knowledge" Just went through the game in the sequence it was intended, past a certain level, when you kill most shit in 2-3 swings all this crap becomes much less noticeable, you can get to that point with bandit camp and harbour town quests alone.. Writing off shit as "I fucked up" is much easier then. Oh, and one guy agrees with me that the combat is janky.

I don't know what you're talking about with the "love" logic. It seems to me that the consensus is that Gothic 1 and 2 and Risen 1 are well liked on the forums. Even if not on the forum, definitely on this thread. Just use your fucking head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom