Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm almost ready to reinstall R1 just to prove how wrong and retardedly stubborn you are.
(Except I won't anytime soon cuz I've got other priorities.)

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
There aren't any arpgs with great combat. At least among those i've played (haven't tried the hyped Dark Souls). Risen is decent in terms of progression, just like Gothic, yes. The combat mechanics aren't that enjoyable though.
Combat mechanics are very enjoyable. I understand if you're a rookie and cant handle it, but don't tell me combat isn't enjoyable when it was one of the things I enjoyed most about Risen.

And Alfons you're not proving anything with these videos and "analyses" except that you're worse at games than my gf and are a total shmuck who should stick to playing checkers.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Have you played gothics, especially Gothic 2: NotR? It's incredibly hard initially and you are basically like retarded baby at the start. Leveling and getting gear is the focal point of that game just like Risen. If you don't have 133t twitch skillz, don't play it like action game. I don't know why are you even trying. Yes, combat in Risen isn't all that fluid and is pretty random given the odds are equal. This is why developing your char is more important than trying to master it's clunky combat. It was the same thing with gothics. Those, who say that Risen combat is super awesome are full of shit, of course.

It's something I really loved out of G1+2: as you start, you are basically forced to milk every possible xp and gold coin obtainable without combat, in order to obtain gear and skills that will allow you to actually survive a fight vs a molerat. This necessity will force carefulness onto the player, who'll have to explore yet be wary: even the roads aren't that safe, and any paesant will probably have the best of you if you tried something funny. It's a great feeling which really adds to exploration, rather than just making it an exercise in hiking (Skyrim/FNV, anyone?)... Also, I always thought that the Gothics really got fast travel right (helpful but not popamole, and not too easily/readily available).

Alfons

Prophet
Combat mechanics are very enjoyable. I understand if you're a rookie and cant handle it, but don't tell me combat isn't enjoyable when it was one of the things I enjoyed most about Risen.

And Alfons you're not proving anything with these videos and "analyses" except that you're worse at games than my gf and are a total shmuck who should stick to playing checkers.
Well, seeing as most of your arguments can be summed up as "it's great because it's great", you like Risen 1, 2, and 3 for the same reasons, and you have a "possibly retarded" tag your opinion means less than shit to me.

BTW, fucking your sister while she's sleeping doesn't make her your girlfriend.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah, the memories of killing Fleischkäfer (the little bugs) for the tiny amount of XP and food.

It's something I really loved out of G1+2: as you start, you are basically forced to milk every possible xp and gold coin obtainable without combat, in order to obtain gear and skills that will allow you to actually survive a fight vs a molerat. This necessity will force carefulness onto the player, who'll have to explore yet be wary: even the roads aren't that safe, and any paesant will probably have the best of you if you tried something funny. It's a great feeling which really adds to exploration, rather than just making it an exercise in hiking (Skyrim/FNV, anyone?)... Also, I always thought that the Gothics really got fast travel right (helpful but not popamole, and not too easily/readily available).
Yeah, this is something I always loved about Piranha Bytes titles (beside what's often excellent world design): you rise on top through a genuine struggle.
When someone threats to beat you like a pulp if you don't pay the toll, for instance, there are good chances he's actually in a position to wipe the floor with you quite easily.

Yes, combat in Risen isn't all that fluid and is pretty random given the odds are equal. This is why developing your char is more important than trying to master it's clunky combat. It was the same thing with gothics. Those, who say that Risen combat is super awesome are full of shit, of course.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but this is exactly my point. Twitch skills don't come into play when enemies attacks are executed instantly or when enemies are attacking at the same time. For example something like this:

might seem impressive. But when you pay attention you'll notice the attacks he's "dodging" are starting only after he already started dodging. The enemy is attacking because he dodged, he didn't dodge because the enemy attacked.

When you look which attacks he actually dodged, then he legitimately dodges the jumping lunge move once and he does it because there is enough distance to actually see the attack while it's happening (00:47).

The other time he dodges it (00:55) the attack already missed him and the dodge is just an "oh shit" input. He dodges the bite attack at 00:25 because he's reacting to the ashbeast going forward not the attack itself.

During 00:34 it looks like he actually dodged the bite attack but I'm almost certain it's the same case as in 00:25, he reacted to the beast moving forward, not the attack itself.

The attack he actually consistently dodges is the swipe attack, which has a short windup animation you can see, something the vast majority of animal attacks don't have.

This is exactly what I said, you dodge away from the enemy being too close. Why the fuck wouldn't you be getting out of the way of something that you are right in front of? Staying away from distances where they the enemy can attack and hit you without you having a chance to dodge is skill. This isn't a game with gratuitous i-frames where you can dodge anything by mashing a split second before the hit connects, you have to actually get out of the enemy's avenue of attack.

This guy isn't even that good to be honest. Just for you I loaded up Risen as a level 1 character with the starting weapon and killed like 10 wolves, only got hit once. Yeah, no skill at all :retarded:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
When someone threats to beat you like a pulp if you don't pay the toll, for instance, there are good chances he's actually in a position to wipe the floor with you quite easily.
Funny you should this because I'm playing Risen 3 and some guy asked me for 100 coins, I went with the "go fuck yourself option, he then made that 200 and when I refused again he beat be to a pulp, two swings. Good stuff.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
This guy isn't even that good to be honest. Just for you I loaded up Risen as a level 1 character with the starting weapon and killed like 10 wolves, only got hit once. Yeah, no skill at all :retarded:
Exactly. Guy is just some casual joe who tries to sound edgy.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The wonders of the Skyrim generation.

Also, first Risen's combat is fluid, the swing animations, hit reactions/block effects, control responsiveness etc. I like Gothic's combat as well but I can understand people thinking that it's clunky but Risen? Nope.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, young and starved wolfes that you meat at the start are easy peasy so they don't count imo. Those vultures with their constant backpedaling though..

Alfons

Prophet
Also, first Risen's combat is fluid, the swing animations, hit reactions/block effects, control responsiveness etc. I like Gothic's combat as well but I can understand people thinking that it's clunky but Risen? Nope.
Jesus, you can not seriously be this retarded.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Look who's talking. The guy whining that he got pummeled by a pack of wolves at level 1 and has zero patience. I'm surprised you even managed to install the game being that much of an idiot.

Alfons

Prophet
Funny you should this because I'm playing Risen 3 and some guy asked me for 100 coins, I went with the "go fuck yourself option, he then made that 200 and when I refused again he beat be to a pulp, two swings. Good stuff.
You got hit in Risen 3. The game with the fully invincible roll. I think it's time to STFU.

Alfons

Prophet
I'm sorry Risen doesn't have the awesome button son, maybe it's time to start up Beth classics again? They certainly scale to your level.
:lol:
Sure it does, several in fact. Crossbows, bows, magic, shield, leveling, fucking fred.
It's amazing how fucking retarded some of you are. You are confusing bullshit, with difficulty. The game makes me get hit even though I shouldn't, but that doesn't mean it's difficult, it means it's bullshit.

This is exactly what I said, you dodge away from the enemy being too close. Why the fuck wouldn't you be getting out of the way of something that you are right in front of?
How the fuck would you hit something that is out of reach?
Staying away from distances where they the enemy can attack and hit you without you having a chance to dodge is skill. This isn't a game with gratuitous i-frames where you can dodge anything by mashing a split second before the hit connects, you have to actually get out of the enemy's avenue of attack.
Oh, so that's what skill is. Tapping space twice while holding the s key. You don't need fucking i-frames, you need the attack to not be instant and the dodge to have enough distance to move you away from the upcoming hit.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You got hit in Risen 3. The game with the fully invincible roll. I think it's time to STFU.
Its overpowered but not invincible. Plus hardest difficulty setting disables it.

I think it's time for you to just stop playing video games. Go play on the swings or something.

This is exactly what I said, you dodge away from the enemy being too close. Why the fuck wouldn't you be getting out of the way of something that you are right in front of?
How the fuck would you hit something that is out of reach?

Dodging into range or exploiting their missed attacks?

Staying away from distances where they the enemy can attack and hit you without you having a chance to dodge is skill. This isn't a game with gratuitous i-frames where you can dodge anything by mashing a split second before the hit connects, you have to actually get out of the enemy's avenue of attack.
Oh, so that's what skill is. Tapping space twice while holding the s key. You don't need fucking i-frames, you need the attack to not be instant and the dodge to have enough distance to move you away from the upcoming hit.

No, actually you just need to git gud.

Alfons

Prophet
Dodging into range or exploiting their missed attacks?
There's a forward dodge I don't know about?

Just link me a vid of someone doing well against a pack of wolves, or someone not getting hit by the 6 gnomes on the way to harbour town. Hell, how the fuck do you deal with ogres? The overhead slam is easy enough to dodge but if he does the other attack you're fucked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom