Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok so I went to metacritic for Risen 3 and it has terrible reviews. Why?
Metascore (pc): 65
Userscore (pc): 5.6
Metascore (xbox): 44
Userscore (xbox): 4.3
Metascore (ps3): 36
Userscore (ps3): 3.9
The game is not very good, but such a low console user score may be influenced by Angry Joe (the most popular YouTube reviewer in the world, who hated the game) and his army of goon followers.

Ladonna

Arcane
All the console games play at 30fps. 1080p on the PS4. Maybe some lower fidelity game has a higher fps count, but all the others (gta5, etc) have 30fps as their running speed.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Risen 2 better score than Risen 3?
This is ridiculous!
Risen 2 is pure console shit designed to be FUN and looking extremely childish and over colored.
Risen 3 at least tries to re-create the feel you had in the Gothic series and has a great world.

Alfons

Prophet
All Risen games are shit, but they definitely have different odors and Risen 2 undoubtedly stinks the most.

DramaticPopcorn

This is ridiculous!
Risen 2 is pure console shit designed to be FUN and looking extremely childish and over colored.
Risen 3 at least tries to re-create the feel you had in the Gothic series and has a great world.
Risen 2 in all its bugged and overall poorly designed glory has at least some degree of creativity and innovation.
Risen 3 is mediocre through and through.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It is definitely better than Risen 2, but somehow I just lost interest along the way. I think this will be the first Piranha Bytes RPG—aside from Gothic 3 which was really broken when I started playing it—that I will not finish. It is a really good-looking game too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is ridiculous!
Risen 2 in all its bugged and overall poorly designed glory has at least some degree of creativity and innovation.
Risen 3 is mediocre through and through.

What's the innovation in Risen 2? It stripped away all the core mechanics that made PB games great like factions, mutually exclusive character builds, challenging combat, etc.

All Risen games are shit, but they definitely have different odors and Risen 2 undoubtedly stinks the most.
Risen 1 is hardly shit. Go play Witcher series and beat off to bewbs.

T. Reich

Arcane
What's the innovation in Risen 2? It stripped away all the core mechanics that made PB games great like factions, mutually exclusive character builds, challenging combat, etc.

Um, Gothic games didn't have mutually exclusive builds...
In G1 you could make a strong 2h-wielding, crossbow-shooting, spell-slinging char with justy a bit of effort and correct timing (and joining the new camp).
In G2 you could mix-and-match 2 of melee/ranged/mage (I've tried all 3 combo variants) with just a little bit of min-maxing, and in fact you were better off this way than going mono-build.
G3 no idea, because it sucks.
R1 I haven't played for a long while, so I don't remember exactly, but didn't it do away with build diversity (concerning mages first and foremost) there already? Or was it like G2, with diverse build variants, where you could mix mage+fighter(melee/ranged)? I only playerd R1 once, and I went melee+ranged after hearing that magic was crap.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Yes, I think you could mix magic and melee in Risen. And magic felt actually pretty good.

It's one of the very few games where you had to actually *learn* magic, I thought that was a great idea.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

In G1 you could make a strong 2h-wielding, crossbow-shooting, spell-slinging char with justy a bit of effort and correct timing (and joining the new camp).
In G2 you could mix-and-match 2 of melee/ranged/mage (I've tried all 3 combo variants) with just a little bit of min-maxing, and in fact you were better off this way than going mono-build.
G3 no idea, because it sucks.
R1 I haven't played for a long while, so I don't remember exactly, but didn't it do away with build diversity (concerning mages first and foremost) there already? Or was it like G2, with diverse build variants, where you could mix mage+fighter(melee/ranged)? I only playerd R1 once, and I went melee+ranged after hearing that magic was crap.

You could do it somewhat in G1. G2 NOTR, not really. And, no, the Master Sword with a caster and some dex doesn't count. G3 does suck so it doesn't matter. R1 required you to unlock levels of weapon proficiencies (or damage spell proficiencies) if you were a mage. So unless you wanted to gimp yourself in combat you had to go full sword (or full axe or full staff) or full fire/frost/magic bullet. Additionally if you didn't become a mage you couldn't even use the base magic attack mechanics. Of course, everyone could use scrolls and there were tons of them but they were only a couple of damage spell scrolls as most of them were supportive spells.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What I thought was interesting about re-playing Risen 1 half a year ago or so was how easy shield combat was. It did not seem so at the time, but after playing through Dark Souls I and II, it was essentially the same thing but with unlimited stamina. I miss shields.

T. Reich

Arcane
You could do it somewhat in G1. G2 NOTR, not really. And, no, the Master Sword with a caster and some dex doesn't count. G3 does suck so it doesn't matter.

You could do it full way in G1. I did it more than once. Weilding Uriziel and have a ton of str to support it, while having a good deal of dex to be able to kill orcs with crossbow, while having enough magic to deal with those who are immune to normal weapons? Check, check, and check. G1 was not at all restrictive to any proficiencies, with only 2 exceptions:
1. If you joined the fire mages, your weapon skills are gimped.
2. If you joined the water mages (you always join them, so yeah, magic is always a choice) before you trained 2h/crossbow with either old or new camp weapon masters, which would become unavailable then.

G2 NOTR, not really. And, no, the Master Sword with a caster and some dex doesn't count.

How does it not count if it worked in endgame? Just a simple example of how it works: slice the weaker/single/human/golem enemies in melee with master rapier, shoot everything else with a pumped-out bow, and if there are too many of them, then summon some skeletons and shoot them anyway. Scared of 1-on-1 bosses? Ice cube them and slash/shoot away. Or summon a bunch of skellies and see them fall. Or pump them full of lightning bolts if their magic resistance was low. All three in one char, and when talking about spells I didn't mean using the scrolls (though scrolls are always available). You could also go the other way and focus more on magic to deal with toughies and relegate bow to being a harassment tool, that worked, too.

G2 NotR disn't have any serious restrictions, while it was actually stricter in that regard than G1. It only restricted you if you wanted to do 2 things brilliantly, for which you simply wouldn't have enough skill points.
Anyway, G2 was actually punishing if you decided to go mono-build. Go pure melee? Good luck with big orc packs, fire lizards and dragons. Go pure bow? Enter skeletons and golems. Go pure caster? Enter the most tedious gameplay ever because you run out of mana after every fight.

Last edited:

Kraszu

Prophet
It is definitely better than Risen 2, but somehow I just lost interest along the way. I think this will be the first Piranha Bytes RPG—aside from Gothic 3 which was really broken when I started playing it—that I will not finish. It is a really good-looking game too.

You should try community patch with alternative ai, and new difficulty settings, patched Gothic 3 is as good as other games in the series, maybe even the best one.

G3 no idea, because it sucks."

G3 actually has much more variety in builds, and supporting spells are very good for a warrior.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
One of hte more interestin comments was about how quests are layed out on the islands. So you can come across a quest objective BEFORE initiating it with the quest giver. So you might find a quest item (I'm guessing) and then later find the quest giver who wants it? Doing a quest backwards? The poster stated this was different from most modern RPGs because the quest objective isn't generated until the quest is given (and/or the player meets proximity criteria).
What's the problem with that? It was like that in all PB games and lot of others. Haven't played any one but the first Risen, but what - would you rather prefer that quest items/subjects spawn only after it has come to your attention? Like, you killed a bunch of goblins in a cave and when a guy complaining about goblins stealing his sheep comes along asking you to get rid of then, they magically respawn in the cave you just demolished instead of sayin ''been there, done that''?

Doktor Best

Arcane

You should try community patch with alternative ai, and new difficulty settings, patched Gothic 3 is as good as other games in the series, maybe even the best one.

God no. Gothic 3 lacks almost everything that made Gothic 1+2 good.

The Quests are simplified
it lacks an overarching storyline
the faction system is a major stepback
the gameworld is alright but certainly doesnt feel as lively and well crafted as in the first two games
and most of all the combat system is a big fucking failure even with the community patch. You just swing at a ridicously slow time and hope to stunlock your enemy so he cant retaliate and simply dies. Fast enemies will break the stunlock and buttfuck you in seconds while slower enemies are game even as lowlevel dude without decent equipment. The levelscaling is also a big pile of shit as a fight against a wolf is the same fucking thing on level 1 as on level 12.

So no sir, there is no way gothic 3 comes even close to Risen1-3 or Gothic 1 and 2. Its simply the worst piranha bytes game. Its even significantly worse than Risen2 which had also shit combat but atleast doesnt have levelscaling and a trashy story with some decent quests and atmosphere.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Quests are simplified
Not really, when you get down to it, quests in G2 and G1 could be broken down to fetch, kill and talk. They just had more intermediate steps.
it lacks an overarching storyline
Um, Orcs won, join them or kill them is bretty overarching in my opinion.
the faction system is a major stepback
How so, you could work for multiple factions, but advancing too much in one, meant alienating its opposite, and I believe, turning them hostile. And each faction naturally has different objectives for Myrtana and the other joints. And like in the previous two games, you had to advance in reputation if your wanted their good armor and all. And quests could be resolved in favour of different factions, so how is it a step back?
the gameworld is alright but certainly doesnt feel as lively and well crafted as in the first two games
I'll agree in so far as the chest system sucks. Lively, well, could you explain that? Atmosphere was not as great as G1, or G2, but then its vastly bigger than either game.
and most of all the combat system is a big fucking failure even with the community patch. You just swing at a ridicously slow time and hope to stunlock your enemy so he cant retaliate and simply dies. Fast enemies will break the stunlock and buttfuck you in seconds while slower enemies are game even as lowlevel dude without decent equipment. The levelscaling is also a big pile of shit as a fight against a wolf is the same fucking thing on level 1 as on level 12.
Combat sucks, sure. But level-scaling? My experience with the game tells me gear seems to matter more than stats. The difference in fighting wolves with a regular two-hander and with Krush Varrok was pretty noticeable. Also seriously, polearms vs. animals is the way to go.
So no sir, there is no way gothic 3 comes even close to Risen1-3 or Gothic 1 and 2. Its simply the worst piranha bytes game. Its even significantly worse than Risen2 which had also shit combat but atleast doesnt have levelscaling and a trashy story with some decent quests and atmosphere.
Seriously, Risen 2 was worse.[/QUOTE]

Kraszu

Prophet
Since rest was addressed already

and most of all the combat system is a big fucking failure even with the community patch. You just swing at a ridicously slow time and hope to stunlock your enemy so he cant retaliate and simply dies.

That is simply factually incorrect with alternative ai enemy can block, and counter so you look an opportunity to strike 1-3 times, and move back. At ridiclously slow time? Your speed depends on the weapon that you use, and you start with weapon that has decent speed.

Fast enemies will break the stunlock and buttfuck you in seconds while slower enemies are game even as lowlevel dude without decent equipment. The levelscaling is also a big pile of shit as a fight against a wolf is the same fucking thing on level 1 as on level 12.

The counter attacking was introduced exactly to prevent button mashing enemies to death how is that not obvious? As for the wolf it depends on what you invest LP in, and what inventory you have there is no problem with level scaling, the strongest enemies stay at the same level.

Risen2? That button mashing not leading to victory had to be really painful to you, l2p.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
G3 was boring, G1/2 weren't. That should settle this without any further dissection. I hardly managed to make myself to the end and rushed as fuck in final parts. The most dissappointing thing was that ALL npcs were oblivion like. Bland. They even managed to ruin old friends of TNO. Xardas anyone? :roll: And king Rhobar? How can you make one of the central and most talked about legendary people of the series so underwhelming? I didn't believe it was Piranha that made this crapola. For a hiking game it's good, but then so are Elder Scrolls games.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Since rest was addressed already

and most of all the combat system is a big fucking failure even with the community patch. You just swing at a ridicously slow time and hope to stunlock your enemy so he cant retaliate and simply dies.

That is simply factually incorrect with alternative ai enemy can block, and counter so you look an opportunity to strike 1-3 times, and move back. At ridiclously slow time? Your speed depends on the weapon that you use, and you start with weapon that has decent speed.

Fast enemies will break the stunlock and buttfuck you in seconds while slower enemies are game even as lowlevel dude without decent equipment. The levelscaling is also a big pile of shit as a fight against a wolf is the same fucking thing on level 1 as on level 12.

The counter attacking was introduced exactly to prevent button mashing enemies to death how is that not obvious? As for the wolf it depends on what you invest LP in, and what inventory you have there is no problem with level scaling, the strongest enemies stay at the same level.

Risen2? That button mashing not leading to victory had to be really painful to you, l2p.

I completed both games on the hardest difficulty so no i dont think i should learn how to play gothic. Yes i know about the features of the alternative AI but still its a shit combat system because its clunky with its collision management and stunlocking enemies still works too good. Also the counterattack is random as fuck and fast hitting enemies will hit you like 3 times per second while you are being stunlocked and die. Theres no way to predict it as counterattacks are triggered by enemies taking damage mixed with a random factor, so its not fun. None of Pyranha Bytes other games have this shit, and all of the combat systems of those other games are therefor better.

The endeavours of the community to improve the game are commendable but sadly the system its based on is just too crappy to make it a decent combat system. Its like sprinkling chocolate bits on a piece of turd. Yes it does improve a bit but its still shit with sprinkled chocolate.

Kraszu

Prophet
I completed both games on the hardest difficulty so no i dont think i should learn how to play gothic. Yes i know about the features of the alternative AI but still its a shit combat system because its clunky with its collision management and stunlocking enemies still works too good. Also the counterattack is random as fuck and fast hitting enemies will hit you like 3 times per second while you are being stunlocked and die.

So you had finished the game on hard by abusing mechanics, you can also open inventory, and drink potions during fight (obvious cheating) G3 is unpolished gem you have to take it account. It is isn't fully random since i was never counter attacked by attacking 1-3 times. So what if you can push your luck to win by button mashing? Why would you do that? Clearly counter attack was made to give you reason to not button mash so don't.

You can also break the game by shooting orcs from a place that they can't get too, obviously using such abuses breaks the game.

Theres no way to predict it as counterattacks are triggered by enemies taking damage mixed with a random factor, so its not fun.

Sure there is, you are sure that your first attack will not be countered for a start (so your claim is factually not true already), there is no random factor if you don't allow for it by limiting the number of attacks to 1-3.

None of Pyranha Bytes other games have this shit, and all of the combat systems of those other games are therefor better.

Because a single thing that is easily fixable define all of combat.

The endeavours of the community to improve the game are commendable but sadly the system its based on is just too crappy to make it a decent combat system. Its like sprinkling chocolate bits on a piece of turd. Yes it does improve a bit but its still shit with sprinkled chocolate.

I can see how that might seem so, for somebody who is mentally challenged, and who will continue to button mash no matter how many times it had failed already.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom