Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm waiting for... loin cloth, with a wooden spoon difficulty.

Anticlimactic.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Risen 3 with DLC is 50% off on Steam until 27th of February.
crickets.gif
:P

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
WELL worth the money, highly recommended to those who enjoyed the previous games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-07-risen-3-enhanced-edition-announced-for-playstation-4

Risen 3: Enhanced Edition announced for PlayStation 4
Comparable to "ultra" settings on PC... and then some.

Of all the games to be tarted up for a next-gen release I didn't expect one to be Piranha Bytes' largely glossed over role-playing game Risen 3. But it is, this August, and only for PlayStation 4.

Risen 3: Titan Lords came out on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in August last year. It was OK - hampered by its combat but "a commendably deep and full role-playing game" underneath.

This PS4 Enhanced Edition offers graphics comparable to "ultra" settings on PC, "and even surpasses the original visuals in a number of areas". It has higher-resolution textures, post processing effects such as "bokeh" depth-of-field (when points of light become out of focus and become large circles), HDR bloom and volumetric clouds.

It also bundles all existing additional content, including the Adventure Garb, Fog Island and Uprising of the Little Guys DLC. The PS4 game supports stuff like Remote Play, streaming, recording and Share Play too.

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition will be a digital release but also have retail releases in the UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Spain and Nordic territories.

There were a couple of screenshots to go with the announcement and they're below.

jpg

jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It has higher-resolution textures, post processing effects such as "bokeh" depth-of-field (when points of light become out of focus and become large circles), HDR bloom and volumetric clouds.

Glad that they focused on the areas the game was lacking for this re-release.

throwaway

Cipher
Is that why they've been silent for ages? I haven't even played the last 2 games and their antiquated hide-in-a-bunker marketing is begining to lose me faster than the reception R2&3 got.

Just for the record at least its not an entire repackaging of the PC version :

There will also be new post processing effects and a new volumetric cloud system

I fully expect pc users to get a patch with that

Lt+me+waiting+for+the+gif+to+load+_a94dc67eec0e601a63e1bcd389df6293.jpg

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Goes without saying that Roxor will re-review the Enhanced Edition. Our quality standards demand it.

Zeriel

Arcane
I've had this installed on my computer for like a year. Have yet to try it, due to the Codex hate re: it. Judging by my past experiences with Codex hivemind and European shovelware (i.e Bound by Flame, which I found pretty enjoyable) I'll probably end up having some fun with this if I ever try it.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've had this installed on my computer for like a year. Have yet to try it, due to the Codex hate re: it. Judging by my past experiences with Codex hivemind and European shovelware (i.e Bound by Flame, which I found pretty enjoyable) I'll probably end up having some fun with this if I ever try it.
If you care about a beautiful world and good atmosphere (like I do) you will definitely enjoy it!
I personally felt like it has more soul than Risen 1 (let alone R2 O_o), but I think that one is overrated anyway.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
If you care about a beautiful world and good atmosphere (like I do) you will definitely enjoy it!
I personally felt like it has more soul than Risen 1 (let alone R2 O_o), but I think that one is overrated anyway.

I don't like the pirate motif.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, which of these for PC:

1. No upgrade to EE (Tomb Raider style)
2. Free upgrade to EE (Witcher and Wasteland 2 style)
3. EE is a re-release that you have to buy separately (Deus Ex HR and Sleeping Dogs style)

4. Nobody cares about Risen 3

Ok so I went to metacritic for Risen 3 and it has terrible reviews. Why?
Metascore (pc): 65
Userscore (pc): 5.6
Metascore (xbox): 44
Userscore (xbox): 4.3
Metascore (ps3): 36
Userscore (ps3): 3.9

For a comparison, he're the metacritic scores for Risen 2 and Risen 1:
Risen 2:
Metascore (pc): 69
Userscore (pc): 5.6
Metascore (xbox): 60
Userscore (xbox): 5.9
Metascore (ps3): 47
Userscore (ps3): 5.4
Risen 1:
Metascore (pc): 77
Userscore (pc): 8.1
Metascore (xbox): 60
Userscore (xbox): 6.4

Looking over the review comments for Risen 3 (PC), I see these commond complaints:
...game mechanics too simple
...combat is slow and infuriating to use (1)
...poor voice acting and story
...boring fetch quests
...grindy leveling
...graphics are at least 6 years outdated
in short: dull, repetitive, outdated and a copy of Risen 2

(1) - lots of complaints of rolling/combos and too much dying in fights; one person complained of not being able to escape from fights - they said they'd be pursued infinitely; another complained mage fights are too much rolling

One of hte more interestin comments was about how quests are layed out on the islands. So you can come across a quest objective BEFORE initiating it with the quest giver. So you might find a quest item (I'm guessing) and then later find the quest giver who wants it? Doing a quest backwards? The poster stated this was different from most modern RPGs because the quest objective isn't generated until the quest is given (and/or the player meets proximity criteria).

Another comment from the same poster, who gave the game a 7.5, was that the game was relatively free in its objectives. You did what you wanted. Although many other posters said the lack of somethign to tie it together was bad.

The overwhelming majority of user reviews are negative.

EDIT: The xbox user reviews for Risen 1 mirror many of the complaints in all the Risen 3 reviews. I think that's interesting because this includes the PC user reviews. Either the game changed in a way that all of the reviewers now agree or the PC user reviewers changed and so no longer like a game similar to Risen. Maybe Risen 3 was too much like Risen 1. Or maybe it wasn't enough like Risen 1 for PC user reviewers to like it, nor was it good enough for other user reviewers to like it.

Idk. I do have Risen 1, but have only played seeral hours some months ago. I did find hte combat to be harsh. I kind of liked it at first, but it got dull without figuring out how to counter. I did eventually get a quest for a new sword and moved to another village to get it. But I was mad because the quest somehow evaded me at first and I wasted so much time trying to kill creatures which made me run more often than not. I also accidentally killed a npc that gave a quest when I aggroed some wolves and they mauled him to death. While this paints a sickly portrait of the game, I still want to play it agan sometime. I'd give it a 6 or 7, but keep in mind I'm fairly hardcore andhave put up with some very harsh things in games. Many others won't feel the same. So I forgive hte harshness and/or shortsights. I also thought hte game had very good graphics compared to what I'm used to. And hte fact you can craft in the game and ther'es so much more for me to see,makes me give it 6 or 7, despite the shoddy start.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom