Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 3: Titan Lords has a luscious new trailer

AMG

Arbiter
It's really cool of them to put out neatly organized 11 minute video showing some actual gameplay in this day and age where a trailer is equivalent to some explosions and flying text but it is obvious form watching this that the game is uninspired euro shovelware.
The truth is that piranha bytes haven't made a good game since Gothic 2. Thats 12 years. If you liked any of their games post G2 you're a fgt and your opinion is automatically discarded.
There is no reason to believe that Gothic was anything else than a fluke, a lightning in a bottle. And G2 is esentially a big X-pack for G1. The moment they deviated from that was a boring disaster of a game.
They just recycle the same mechanincs in Risen series hoping that it will click again. Hey if there will be 3 camps you can join and if you have to go to trainers to raise your stats it will be as good as gothic! I nearly bursted out with laughter at the edgy "FUCK YOU" as a demonstration of deep interaction with NPCs. Also awful, long-ass animations and fugly spell particles. Shovelware to the max.

AMG

Arbiter
Le epik edgy alt codex meme.
Kill yourself retard.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Story and characters didn't resemble G1 or G2 at all, let alone the setting! .

Let's see, you had three factions: the bandits (Lee's faction), the Order (oh hey, city guard/paladins), and the mages (oh hey, Inquisitor's mages... who coincidentally formerly worshiped a god of fire!). Come on Baron Von Flukelestein.
I don't even really remember anything about the Bandits except you had to fight them in the cities if you were with the Inquisition. The only thing I remember is that if you got caught by the guards early on, you are with the Inquisition by default. How stupid is that?
So no, not every game with three factions resembles Gothic. 'cause Gothic's factions were distinct, had a clear memorable identity, a totally different vibe and, you know... were just kewl. :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nah they were pretty much straight rip offs of the G1/G2 factions.

Aha. So where is the charismatic leader? Where the very distinct feel for every base of the factions? Where is the mystery? etc. pp.
Basically everything I said above.
Might be that you had all that while playing Risen. I didn't.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good video but no encumbrance/inventory limit? I hate that shit. Where the FUCK is the C&C?
:notsureifserious:
Too much trolling itt and on this board in general so you could be trolling too. I hope you are, wanting to sacrifice one of PB games' most prominent trademarks and all...

Trailer looks great. Doesn't mean shit as long as noone halfway trustworthy confirms that it plays like G1&2 and Risen 1.

And yeah, story and setting in Risen 1 was banal shit boring and they really really should try to change their formula regarding factions. I won't play through another game like that, even with the greatest combat mechanics on earth.

Interesting theory about Gothic being a console port btw, Grotesque. Source?

catfood

AGAIN
It's not a theory. It's well known that it was originally intended to be a console game, but consoles at that time didn't have the necessary hardware to run it. The most telling signs of course are the interface and controls.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks, didn't know that. Funny because most of the dex equals console interfaces with popamole and here we have some of the greatest examples of non-popamole action RPGs ... with a console interface. Never thought about it, so it just hit me like a truck. ^^

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Aha. So where is the charismatic leader? Where the very distinct feel for every base of the factions? Where is the mystery? etc. pp.
Nah, I just think you grossly overstate how good it was in the originals.

Oh yeah that's it, thanks for the explanation.

Story and characters didn't resemble G1 or G2 at all, let alone the setting! .

Let's see, you had three factions: the bandits (Lee's faction), the Order (oh hey, city guard/paladins), and the mages (oh hey, Inquisitor's mages... who coincidentally formerly worshiped a god of fire!). Come on Baron Von Flukelestein.
I don't even really remember anything about the Bandits except you had to fight them in the cities if you were with the Inquisition. The only thing I remember is that if you got caught by the guards early on, you are with the Inquisition by default. How stupid is that?
So no, not every game with three factions resembles Gothic. 'cause Gothic's factions were distinct, had a clear memorable identity, a totally different vibe and, you know... were just kewl. :troll:

Wait - you just took the Inquisition guy at face value, and didn't bother looking for a way of breaking out of the monastery?

And now you're complaining that it's the game that's retarded?

[points and laughs at Joni]

Nim

Augur

I tried to find it on Google but all I could find is another user here called Nim on the Risen 3 thread saying the same thing. Maybe he has the source.
Very unlikely you will find information about this in english. Doesn't help that all gothics have an ingame console which fucks up search results even more both in english and german. It's somewhere on either world of gothic or world of risen iirc but gl finding it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh yeah that's it, thanks for the explanation.
Anytime, pal.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I liked Risen 1, more than G3 anyways. Risen 2 I've tried playing twice, the first time about 10 hours, the second around 6, then I get bored. The sad thing is I'm pretty sure that I lasted around 15 hours in Oblivion before losing interest.

I'll wait for next years summer sale maybe. I don't trust Deep Silver or PB anymore.

throwaway

Cipher
Good video but no encumbrance/inventory limit? I hate that shit.
Yeah, ask any Gothic fan for wanted features and they'll all name the tedium that is inventory management
:nocountryforshitposters:

Afaik, it's an urban myth, largely originating due ot the mouseless controls. I'm sure at least that Michael Hoge (or Ruve) has commented on it on the English WoR. The idea is laughable due to the ammount of memory the consoles of the time had.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I tried to find it on Google but all I could find is another user here called Nim on the Risen 3 thread saying the same thing. Maybe he has the source.
I remember I read FAQ and walktrough of that game. I searched for it and I can't find it. It was grind similar to tower in Persona 3 FES, without these out of tower activities.

Wait I thought you are talking about game named Grotesque. (or was it just grotesque console game...)

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess this proves that presentation is everything. After seeing the goofball german dude stumble about with the game "Jaaaah, ich liebe muschel!" the game looked fucking awful and it was time throw in the towel; this "luscious" new trailer makes it look and sound a lot more tolerable once again. One eye watching.

Deleted member 7219

Same. I'm cautiously optimistic. I really hope this is good but I'll wait to hear a few views from the 'dex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom