Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2 -- preorder to get the full game

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What exactly does "climbing" mean in this usage? Ability to walk up steep hills? As far as I remember there is no climbing animation.

Jumping on the other hand...that's a bad omission.

I'm sure they mean climbing in the G1/G2 sense (that was watered down in Risen due to lack of jump height and world design). Apparently you can still climb in Risen 2... but... wait for it... only in designated spots. Ugh.

The swimming thing I'm not as concerned about because it was never really a big part of G1/G2. Sure you could swim but -- to my knowledge -- there was never anything underwater to loot/explore and maybe only two or three instances in the series where you could reach some notable location only with swimming. I also didn't really expect it since it was absent from Risen 1.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
More specifically, Dicksmoker, there's a jump and ledge-grab animation in Gothic 2. That's what people mean by climbing.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yep. Just read it on the official forums. Apparently, some people could get stuck climbing the old-school way, so they cut it.

What the fuck happened to them?

Edit: I didn't pay Risen 2 much attention before (naively expecting a G2-like game built on the original), but now that I'm reading the previews and interviews... Jesus Christ...

"The Witcher and Skyrim were partly the reason why we thought of another setting," says Deep Silver's Daniel Oberlerchner. "I mean, how many medieval RPGs do people want to play? It's hard to make something distinctive in that setting, especially as The Witcher did a really good job.
So, it's not a sequel but a different game, commissioned by DS. It has some PB elements but hardly more than that.

"In Risen 1 we made the error that we immediately started off with a complete open world, and the difficulty was medium to quite hard right from the beginning," Oberlerchner explains. "Especially in the US, people were shocked that you could die in the tutorial."
:gasp:

Well, I sure hope they fixed it. I hate playing games where I can die or experience other unpleasantries.

Black

Arcane
Oooh, no jumping? In what's supposed to be a sequel to Risen? That probably says a lot about the open-endedness of the world.
Pre-order dlc, no jumping, dumbing down because some assfucks got stuck- why won't they admit they want CoD Skyrim audience?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:x

Funny thing about 'getting stuck' with climbing/jumping... when I played Mass Effect (the horror) I remember the fight against the matriarch or whoever that blue lady with the commandos was... she used one of her force blast abilities on me and, surprise, I got knocked off of the on-rails map path so I was stuck because you can't jump! But seriously, I am literally beside myself with rage upon learning this about Risen 2.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I suppose it's the natural evolution. As one makes more money one has to expand the audience to keep up with the costs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess the good news is this frees up money for an Age of Decadence preorder... provided there's a Steam version with TF2 hats! :smug:

Black

Arcane
Maybe VD can get Notch to fund AoD too. Now with QTE cutscenes.

Kraszu

Prophet
Sucks if true.

@ Dicksmoker: climbing as in reaching hard to reach places was a lot of fun in Gothic 2. I certainly hoped for more of that in Risen 2. Also, the link mentions that there is no swimming either, which would be ridiculous in a pirate RPG (if true, they are probably trying to make sure that you can't reach other islands before the game lets you).

It would be ridiculous if they had removed jumping, as for swimming that sucks but they could just have monster that kills you if you swim to far like in G2, they didn't need any reason to not have it in Risen either.

"The Witcher and Skyrim were partly the reason why we thought of another setting," says Deep Silver's Daniel Oberlerchner. "I mean, how many medieval RPGs do people want to play? It's hard to make something distinctive in that setting, especially as The Witcher did a really good job.

So, it's not a sequel but a different game, commissioned by DS. It has some PB elements but hardly more than that.

All he is saying that they wanted new settings not that it will be a different game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCKETY FUCK IS THIS FUCKING SHIT

THIS IS ARCANIA ALL OVER AGAIN

FUCK

ARE THEY FUCKING NOT LEARNING, HAVE THEY NOT READ THE FUCKING REVIEWS HAVE THEY UFKAFHAJGFHSKFJGHNSKFHNKSFHNKLS

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
THIS IS ARCANIA ALL OVER AGAIN

The 'Arcania' insult should not be thrown around lightly. As devolved as Risen 2 is looking to be I would almost guarantee it won't be as bad as Arcania. Yes, I made the mistake of playing through around half of Arcania... it's not just the design that's bad it is literally EVERYTHING from character development to the engine to world design to monsters to quests to dialog... probably one of the few games I played that was so appallingly bad I couldn't force myself to go on.

That said, I'm not going to make excuses for PB on this one. Risen 2 just went from almost certain preorder to almost certainly wait for a 75% off sale for me.

Morkar Left

I was wishing for more worldinteractivity and thought at least it's not getting worse... I'm really worried now about the game and I'm getting worried now about PBs future when they aren't able/allowed to pull out their unique designelements.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
All he is saying that they wanted new settings not that it will be a different game.
As I've mentioned earlier, "I've heard rumors that DS wanted to make a pirate RPG with fantasy elements to capitalize on the Pirates of the Caribbean success, so after Risen tanked, PB had no choice but to work on the pirate RPG and call it Risen 2, hence the suddenly appeared guns and voodoo. Then they spent the budget on making it pretty*, accessible**, and console-friendly***."

The quote above seems to support the rumor. Had the original game done well, DS wouldn't be thinking what setting to try next. It's safe to assume that they will change a lot more than the setting, especially since they openly blame difficulty, non-linearity, and not enough console friendliness for the poor reception.

Edit:

From previews:

- Your ship is "like Normandy". You don't actually sail on it. You click on a destination when it becomes available and you're there.
- The game is destined to bring the balance to the Force and appeal to both hardcore gamers and new gamers
- The game is best described as a mix between "Ultima and Zelda". Yes, Zelda. In your Gothic.
- You start the game by asking a gnome to build you a raft because you can't swim. You have to visit several other gnomes on the island and buy building materials from them.
- You can take control over a pet monkey and run around stealing things or crawl through holes and activate levers
- RPG for DS isn't about numbers, but about having emotional attachment to NPCs

Cassidy

Arcane
How does consolification imply better combat?

Morgoth is a dumbfuck and if you can't skim his shit over you should add him to your ignore list. That is all about it.

After reading more, I have to say I gave up expecting anything good out of it. Unless a miracle happens, here goes another ArcaniA I won't even pirate, much less buy.

Kraszu

Prophet
As I've mentioned earlier, "I've heard rumors that DS wanted to make a pirate RPG with fantasy elements to capitalize on the Pirates of the Caribbean success, so after Risen tanked, PB had no choice but to work on the pirate RPG and call it Risen 2, hence the suddenly appeared guns and voodoo. Then they spent the budget on making it pretty*, accessible**, and console-friendly***."

The quote above seems to support the rumor. Had the original game done well, DS wouldn't be thinking what setting to try next. It's safe to assume that they will change a lot more than the setting, especially since they openly blame difficulty, non-linearity, and not enough console friendliness for the poor reception.

As far the settings are concerned Risen was criticized that it was little blunt, at least compared to Gothic. Pirate settings is fine for PB like game so that alone isn't bad to me.

Edit:

From previews:

- Your ship is "like Normandy". You don't actually sail on it. You click on a destination when it becomes available and you're there.

I am fine with that, PB games were never about sailing, not ambitious of PB but of well I have to know more about rest of the game.

- The game is destined to bring the balance to the Force and appeal to both hardcore gamers and new gamers

That sounds bad, they had said that they had reversed the structure, game starts linear, and easy but soon you have access to open world, and PB like game, they claim that they think that more people can like the kind of game that they design but that they want to make smoother learning curve.

- The game is best described as a mix between "Ultima and Zelda". Yes, Zelda. In your Gothic.

No idea what that is even supposed to mean.

- You start the game by asking a gnome to build you a raft because you can't swim. You have to visit several other gnomes on the island and buy building materials from them.

So?

- You can take control over a pet monkey and run around stealing things or crawl through holes and activate levers

That was always in PB games, but you had used transform scrolls instead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PB just needs to go independent. You'd think they would have learned from their time with JoWood. Do low budget remakes of Gothic 1 and 2, get some seeder money then start over with another IP.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Haha, no way. I won't believe these vapid rumors!
...wait, what?

Black

Arcane
WHat? There's no climbing in Risen 2 anymore?

PB has clearly gone popamole. It's the end. The Hivemind will not stand for this, everybody, pirate the game once it's out!

No climbing FFS!

:x

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for what it'll be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom