Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2 Patch Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

Piranha Bytes released a patch for Risen 2: Dark Waters, making the game more awesome in the process, by including the ability to dodge and block monster attacks for instance.
Here's the changelog:
Features
- Most monster attacks can be blocked now
- Player has the ability to dodge during combat

Bugfixes
- Fixed issue with flickering trees in far distance
- Fixed issue with SLI graphic cards
- Fixed a crash with 7.1 sound system configuration
- Fixed a crash during climbing
- Fixed issue within return to ship option
- Fixed rain in interiors
- Crew members can't be killed by monsters anymore
- Player get the cunning potion after he crafted it
- Fixed issues with skill teachers

Balance/Tweaks

- Maximum amount of automatic saves was limited to 10
- Improvements in monster combat AI
- Improvements in character AI if they get attacked from behind
- Improved vegetation rendering
- Improved object view distance
- Improved terrain rendering

- Simplify cannon sabotage in Puerto Isabella
- Merchant on Sword Coast sells Rum and Grog
- Removed exploit for shooting game
- Mara's health increased
- Stealbeard's hat can't be sold anymore

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

Piranha Bytes released a patch for Risen 2: Dark Waters, making the game more awesome in the process, by including the ability to dodge and block monster attacks for instance.
Here's the changelog:
Features
The question I would like to have answered is why the hell wasn't this in the shipped version of the game? Has Gothic 3 taught them nothing?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am amazed how they manage to fuck up combat in every single game.

Maybe those guys should take some weeks off and play games where combat actually works and is fun. Get inspired. Or just make the next game TB, which should be easier to handle...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Traitor to the Fatherland slandering glorious PB! The only PB game I've had major complaints about the combat is Gothic 3. G1, G2, and Risen I found the combat just fine.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
You know i have thought about buying Risen 2 as to show my support for them, i enjoyed Risen yet never bought it.

However it costs 50 euro on Steam. Why are digital releases this expensive, i get no box and it removes an entire chain of productcosts for the developper.

30 euro would be a more appropriate price in this case.

Malpercio

Arcane
Oh, they changed some pretty neat things, like the fucked up cannons quest and the lack of Rum and Grog on the Sword Cast (got pretty annoying at some point because i was stuck there and i didn't have any health item).

And of course, the ability to block and dodge... but fuck you, PB. This should have been there from D1.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Traitor to the Fatherland slandering glorious PB! The only PB game I've had major complaints about the combat is Gothic 3. G1, G2, and Risen I found the combat just fine.

Did you know that only one of four Berlins actually is in Germany? Also, I do not consider myself "German". I am European. Long live the Empire! Or are we a Union now? Huh...

Anyway, the combat in G1, G2 and Risan 1 was bearable and definitely not "just fine". If you want "just fine", play the Witcher (1 or 2) on a harder difficulty. Combat in PB games is always clunky somehow, and somehow they do not improve it with each game they make...

Just remember spellcasting in each game: Completely useless area damage spells, as being hit during the ridiculously long casting animation causes you to stop casting. Btw, is this still true in Risen 2? So far, I only "tried" melee combat.

God, if that game was not so beautiful, I'd have deinstalled it laughing, probably coming back in 5 Months after the community patches have been made.

I know that they have very talented programmers and artists (we had some lectures by some of them), so I doubt their Game Designers are completely useless. The combat just bugs me (and almost every tester, it seems) each time, so I cannot stop wondering about it.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
So, if most monster attacks can be blocked -now- and players can -now- dodge... what did you do before to avoid damage?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
... play the Witcher (1 or 2)...

Combat in Witcher games is shit, regardless of difficulty level. Consolitis at its finest. Spell casting, though, has always been poor in PB games. They have never been able to balance it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
how large is the patch? i'm on mobile net with a cap atm and don't feel like risking another steam patch fuckup like grimrock..
So, if most monster attacks can be blocked -now- and players can -now- dodge... what did you do before to avoid damage?
run away and let patty tank, like a boss.
Did you know that only one of four Berlins actually is in Germany?
four?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you know that only one of four Berlins actually is in Germany? Also, I do not consider myself "German". I am European.
Turk detected.
You wish :D Or not. Wrong, anyway. Though I'd love to be able to speak that "special" slang. It could be used to drive people away that annoy you when sitting in the railway.

But then you'd be one of the people who annoy you wehn sitting in the railway.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Features
God. Damn.
My response too. Not the fact that they added it, but the fact that it wasn't there from the start. How could they think that was a good idea?

So how does combat in this game compare to Risen 1? I thought it was pretty awesome in that one, if it's shit in this one I will be pissed.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Features
God. Damn.
My response too. Not the fact that they added it, but the fact that it wasn't there from the start. How could they think that was a good idea?

So how does combat in this game compare to Risen 1? I thought it was pretty awesome in that one, if it's shit in this one I will be pissed.

My guess is that is was there from the start and Deep Silver had it ripped (liked they cut out some islands for DLC) so as not to make it too complicated for the console users/general public. I'm not sure why they haven't figured out that this is a niche market and you might as well make money off of them instead of pissing off everyone at once.

As to combat, I find it the easiest of all the games. It's also the most boring. Of course I just left the first island so maybe it gets better. I haven't installed the patch yet so I can't comment on if it makes a difference or not, I rarely used dodge in the first Risen but I definitely used block on everything.

My guess is that is was there from the start and Deep Silver had it ripped (liked they cut out some islands for DLC) so as not to make it too complicated for the console users/general public.

:lol: How the fuck would you get the idea that ability to block monsters same way you can block humans and roll around would seem to complicated for publisher? It makes the game easier, not harder. Jeez, people here really tend to overdo the "evil/stupid publisher" angle.
I'm fine with the notion of this being a pure fuckup on PB's part. Just as I'm fine with forgiving them because they patched it. Good job PB.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
My guess is that is was there from the start and Deep Silver had it ripped (liked they cut out some islands for DLC) so as not to make it too complicated for the console users/general public.

:lol: How the fuck would you get the idea that ability to block monsters same way you can block humans and roll around would seem to complicated for publisher? It makes the game easier, not harder. Jeez, people here really tend to overdo the "evil/stupid publisher" angle.
I'm fine with the notion of this being a pure fuckup on PB's part. Just as I'm fine with forgiving them because they patched it. Good job PB.

Because it takes more buttons, therefore more complicated. Don't want to confuse anyone. I seriously think it was always in there and got ripped, whether it was a design choice by PB or something mandated by DS I don't know. At least they patched it but I haven't found combat that difficult or challenging, closer to tedious would be my way of describing it.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Make that more key presses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom