Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So now consoles are delayed and get yet another bit of extra content. Can't blame PB for their publishers being dicks about all this DLC shit, but by this point I'd almost be tempted to wait for a "full edition" of the game.

Yes, I'm sure they cried all kinds of bitter tears when said publisher handed over the check to make the DLC. Like Carroll's Walrus.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't know. Neither do you. All I know is publishers make these decisions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I do know that after former Bioware/current Riot Games dev Christina Norman went on her "STOP THINKING YOU'RE A PRODUCER AND TELLING US WHEN AND WHERE WE SHOULD BE BUILDING OUR CONTENT" rant quite a few developers showed their support:

9uqmtz.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, a Carpenter and her Carpenter-friends (some who have never worked for Bioware or Riot). To go with the Piranha Bytes Walrus.

curry

Arcane
PiranhaBytes should start a kickstarter... :oops:

Seriously, I can't think of any RPG developer who has been screwed by publishers worse than PB and they still make the best cRPGs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Still interested in this. Fucking cannot stand Publisher DLC shit. Hope to buy it on a STEAM sale some day with all DLC....

Saxon1974

Prophet
So I see Risen had a patch released in mid May that added block to combat and some other fixes.

I have a hankering for a pirate style RPG, so is this a good time to play this? Or maybe I should wait for more patches, fan patches and the "ultimate edition" with all the DLC included. Also, I dont see anywhere I can get boxed copy in the USA WTF??? It's only available for download and at 50$ I think I might wait a bit longer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I have a hankering for a pirate style RPG, so is this a good time to play this?

No, it ain't. You'd read why in my review, I've submitted it almost 2 weeks ago, but the staff are too busy reporting about Prosper's game to put it up. So wait a few more days.

Phelot

Arcane
So I see Risen had a patch released in mid May that added block to combat and some other fixes.

I have a hankering for a pirate style RPG, so is this a good time to play this? Or maybe I should wait for more patches, fan patches and the "ultimate edition" with all the DLC included. Also, I dont see anywhere I can get boxed copy in the USA WTF??? It's only available for download and at 50$ I think I might wait a bit longer.

I wouldn't pay $50 for it, which I did. Did you like Risen 1? If so, this will likely be a huge disappointment, though some people that loved 1 also liked 2. I would definitely wait for it to get cheaper and to bundle more DLC together.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
After trying the demo and realizing how badly they fucked up melee combat from Risen 1 I'm personally waiting for sub $10, if even that.

Twinkle

Liturgist
I have a hankering for a pirate style RPG, so is this a good time to play this?

No, it ain't. You'd read why in my review, I've submitted it almost 2 weeks ago, but the staff are too busy reporting about Prosper's game to put it up. So wait a few more days.

UnGame >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Risentword

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The Missing Review - sounds somewhat similar to that DXHR DLC.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Thanks bros. I will hold onto my money and wait for the review.

I did like risen but didn't finish it as my pc crashed when I was halfway through it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks bros. I will hold onto my money and wait for the review.

I did like risen but didn't finish it as my pc crashed when I was halfway through it.

Then you played the good half. Your PC has a lot of common sense :)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've just had the misfortune of reading the Gamebanshee preview. Combined with some of the stuff written in this thread, I can only ask myself wtf happened to PB.

Another thing that mystifies me is how can Brother None keep listing all those glaring and blatant examples of dumbing down, then say that the quest design is 'vastly improved' while it seems to be exactly the same as in previous PB games and finally conclude with 'Based on the preview areas, the sequel appears to be a solid improvement on Risen, despite the disappointing simplification in character system.'.

Solid improvement? Really? No XP needed to learn skills, impossible to fail lockpicking minigame WITH FUCKING SKILL THRESHOLDS TO EVEN START LOCKPICKING, impossible to fail pickpocketing, 'cooldowns' on spells and guns (guess you are reloading that while you run with a very flexible leg muscle, Crimsonland style?), axed hunting/prospecting, Gothic 3 style stunlocks that everyone loves, cooldowns on throwing knives, 'guns or voodoo, pick one' and killcams are a 'solid improvement'? What the hell.
I love anything PB. However, I must admit that combat in any of their games is strange. Not horrible, though definitely not awsome either. It's strange, wonky, it has to grow on you. The rest of what was written seems like from a guy who's set to hate it. Not a guy who want's to show what's good and what's not so good. These games shine in some areas. Rewarding the exploration, lore based situations, funny quotes, quests that turn out suprisingly with different outcomes dependant on what the PC did earlier somewhere else (see this is THE RPG right there), the sceneries are made with love, and there is a clear feeling of progression. You'll recognise and appreciate every step that takes the PC from a guy who's defeated by a mere wild chicken towards a fearsome hero who's not afraid to challenge two Raptors and a Shadow Beast at once.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
By the way, for anyone who's struggling with the micro-stuttering FPS try this:

Get the Threadracer program, ramp up everything except 1-2 cores, and then run the game hopefully in smoothness. For me it took a bit of an experimenting. 1 core left was totally smooth but sometimes when loading new areas the game dropped to like 5 FPS for few seconds. 2 cores left were almost smooth without any other problems. Maybe you'll need to experiement a bit with your rig as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom