Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Stauff, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Rpgsaurus Rex Liturgist

Rpgsaurus Rex
    Click here and disable ads!
    AI is pretty bugged in the Gothics, sometimes you can come from behind and whack them 3 or so times before they turn around and draw their weapon, sometimes not.

Also "devastating reputation" is an illusion, and a great one at that (thanks to Gothic developers making their worlds seem so alive). On my 2nd playthrough I annihilated the whole paladin regiment in Ch5 (the guys were standing in line ready to go the the Valley of Mines, I just couldn't resist the temptation to get a bunch of XP with 2 scrolls of fire rain). A bit later I pay a 100g penalty to Andre and I'm ok again. You can get away with killing everyone who is "killable" in Gothics in plain sight as long as you can pay the measly gold penatly, pretty much.
    ^ Top  
  2. msxyz Learned

msxyz
    ^ Top  
  3. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    ^ Top  
  4. msxyz Learned

msxyz
    If you scroll down the thread, you'll see the announcement that also the PC version was delayed.
    NVM it seems the announcement was changed recently: only the console versions were delayed.
    ^ Top  
  5. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Just finished the review copy, which is the full game...uh...except for Treasure Isle DLC (lulz).

It's a PB games through and through. I had to restore to a different path 25 hours in coz one quest-vital NPC didn't spawn. Piranhas gonna Byte.

(also lockpicking does require talent minimums, sorry if my preview wasn't clear on that)

Sorry, didn't see this before.

Quest design in Risen was fairly awful. Beating up guys to get them to hand over parts. Barely any use of dialog skills.

Risen 2:
    - Very frequently uses dialog skills (silver tongue and intimidate talents as well as the nuff said skill) as alternative mission paths, or to bypass tough fights/situations.
    - High thievery talent for lockpicking and pickpocketing is not required but is definitely a boon. Not just for frequent looting/pick-pocketing, but it pops up with some regularity in quests as an alternate solution.
    - Alternatives are a big thing. You take the voodoo skills or gun path about 8-9 hours in (the beta cuts off well before this, I think? Preview copy cut off shortly after it). Voodoo has a lot of quest-related stuff, where you mind-control people to bypass certain segments. It's not huge, and the game determines when it's possible (obviously, there's no realistic way to do it otherwise), but it provides nice alternatives. At one point you have to get into the Inquisition's council building. If you don't have the voodoo skill, your only option is to work with a merchant and disguise yourself as a messenger, and once inside you'll have to either use sneak skills, combat skills, dialog skills or a combo to get what you want. The other option is voodoo mind-controlling one of the councilmen, for which you need to pickpocket or buy a wig (for his hair, oddly enough), and then it's fairly easy to both get the information you need and even coerce the Council into a positive decision for you regarding the main quest (though I didn't get to see if this has any consequences long-term).

Gothic 2 did it better. So did Gothic. But the main conclusion here is "it's a typical PB game", and I adore PB games, and I enjoyed this one. It's not a straight-line improvement on Risen but it's at least as good as Risen (which in my view failed in a lot of quest design and in the last half of the game being a mindless combat romp). One thing it's awful at? Consequences for actions. At one point you steal an inquisition ship, and not even the inquisition camp you stole it from turns aggro. I don't even know.

Review in a few days when the embargo closes. Won't reveal anything more until then, sorry :p
    ^ Top  
  6. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Great to hear this. I gladly finally paid for my boxed-copy preorder today :obviously:
    ^ Top  
  7. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    @BN It's really good to hear, phew.
    ^ Top  
  8. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    Eh, I choose to look the fact that the game is more consolized as a good thing, where's Bethesda and Bioware need some worthy market competition. I hope to see PB in the future as the consolized RPG devs that aren't all that bad, and stay relatively true to their roots as a "PB game".
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    No matter how "consolized" PB tries to make their games, they'll never reach such a huge audience as Beth or Bioware does, never. It will remain a niche developer.
    ^ Top  
  10. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Yeah. Especially when you see how half-heartedly and clumsily some of this stuff is implemented, like QTE and killcam (THANK GOD YOU CAN SWITCH IT OFF IT'S SERIOUSLY HORRIBLE)

It's a shame. You can't help but feel Risen 2 could've been much better if it was more focused, and especially more focused on the important stuff.
    ^ Top  
  11. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Maybe after their contract with Deep Silver is fulfilled, they can take their Gothic Licence and kickstart a new Gothic series.
    ^ Top  
  12. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Codex 2014 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    They don't need to use Kickstarter. They'll have no problem finding a publisher - their games sell fuckloads in Europe.
    ^ Top  
  13. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    I read somewhere that Gothic 1 lost money, Gothic 2 broke even, and the expansion Night of the Raven finally saw a bit of profit. I would rather see their games Kickstarted without publisher pressure and give them plenty of breathing room to release a relatively solid and stable game.
    ^ Top  
  14. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    200-300k units for Risen 1 is hardly what I call "fuckloads".

Also remember the Risen 2 budget was a lot higher (lots of outsourcing), so Risen needs to sell considerably more to be a success.
    ^ Top  
  15. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    I do wonder if there's much of a point in investing so much in Xbox 360 and PS3 ports, especially since by all notes I've seen from my fellow previewers, the ports aren't very good. And how many console players are really looking for an RPG where the main draw is that you are set free in a world to make your own mistakes, are pretty much never offered a quest marker, and have to figure out quests on your own? I mean, it's not a challenging, high-falutin' game by our standards, but nor would it seem to me to have a huge draw with the Skryim crowd.
    ^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Thanks BN, sounds like it will definitely be worth buying, though ultimately slightly disappointing (which, honestly, was the case with all PB games).

We'll see if the gimmicks actually help with sales at all, I think it's really hard to figure something like that out, even retroactively.
    ^ Top  
  17. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    You think Brian Fargo or Double Fine has problems with finding a publisher? That's not the only reason to do a Kickstarter..

BN: did they fix that awful looking vegetation LOD (blowing up like balloons, looked really odd in the beta).
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Well, yes, Wasteland 2 couldn't find a publisher.
    ^ Top  
  19. mkultra Educated

mkultra
    The game yeah, Brian Fargo no.. you can clearly see the direction PB is heading, DLC's, features being removed or dumbed down etc.. even if it's not as bad as it could have been if the publisher was EA or something. I'd love to see a new Gothic as a Kickstarter..
    ^ Top  
  20. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Not sure, but I think their ports are after the Dark Souls crowd instead.
    ^ Top  
  21. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Good point. Though Dark Souls looks both more refined and harsher. Risen 2 is fairly easy, especially as long as you have companions.

Didn't stand out to me but the problem is still there. To be completely honest, the game ran pretty badly on my PC. Admittedly, it's far from top-of-the-line, but when a game like Risen 2 is running with more difficulty and at lower graphics settings than, say, Batman Arkham City, something is weird.
    ^ Top  
  22. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Risen and Dark Souls are nothing alike. I mean literally nothing, there is not one thing the "Dark Souls crowd" would like in it, and I don't see anything a Risen fan would like about Dark Souls.

It is like comparing Baldur's Gate to Ikaruga; the mentalities are so different.
    ^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Thanks for this -- I was still on the fence with a preorder... now I'll probably go through with it if I can still get it at $40 from GMG. As for a PB Kickstarter, I would gladly pay a base/entry level donation of $20 for a redone Gothic 1 if going for Gothic 4 would be too much out of the gate.
    ^ Top  
  24. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Thanks for the mini-preview BN, this sounds like a welcome addition to the PB library.

Saying Gothic 2 did it better isn't much of a knock on it, since Gothic 2 is one of the best games of all time. Looking forward to this.
    ^ Top  
  25. Twinkle Arbiter

Twinkle
    Dear Bro None, can you reveal how much time did it take you to complete it?
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)