Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If I have to guess, the "beta stuff" was to sell more collector's editions of Risen 1, i.e. it's not a real beta, but a sales gimmick.

Stauff

Liturgist
If I have to guess, the "beta stuff" was to sell more collector's editions of Risen 1, i.e. it's not a real beta, but a sales gimmick.
IMHO beta stuff was not advertised at sale time of CE. Also I seriously doubt they are so eager to keep their promises, they could have spit on CE owners, they already got their money anyway... May be just may be they want to see whether "beta" causes an outburst of rage among fans. So far i haven't seen any activity from CE owners, either their numbers are too small or they are all lazy cunts..

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not like they're going to make noticeable changes to the game in two months.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's very depressing to witness almost every somewhat decent developer getting suck into the spiraling vortex of mediocrity that characterizes the gaming industry today. What are we left with? Larian? CDPR, maybe? And god forbid, Obsidian? What else is there?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's very depressing to witness almost every somewhat decent developer getting suck into the spiraling vortex of mediocrity that characterizes the gaming industry today. What are we left with? Larian? CDPR, maybe? And god forbid, Obsidian? What else is there?

Bethesda!?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Bethesda!?

Ha... well if you think about it, I believe that by now Bioware actually beat Bethesda in the 'how to royally screw up the RPG genre beyond recognition' department, and by a long shot. Really, BiowarEA makes Bethesda look like at least a serious ARPG developer, and that's just sad. So very sad.

kaboosh

Novice
I feel your pain. There is nobody left but one tiny last hope: Egosoft and their X Rebirth.
In other news: I'm currently peeing all over my Risen 1 boxset and am thinking about sending nice brown bag off banthaa poodoo to PB.

Shannow

Waster of Time
IMHO beta stuff was not advertised at sale time of CE. Also I seriously doubt they are so eager to keep their promises, they could have spit on CE owners, they already got their money anyway...
Well, getting perhaps a few thousand hardcore fans who didn't own a Risen1 CE before to buy a box in anticipation of R2 is extra cash. And generating an atmosphere of good will with your hardcore fans (CE owners are usually the biggest fans) is also not a bad idea. It also leads to (CE) purchases of R2 and word of mouth. Free advertising. And some testing of the waters.
Problem is devs/publishers usually perceive their games as good. That rarely means that they actually are...

So far it all sounds very disappointing, but I'll reserve judgement till I've actually played the game...

Antagonist

Liturgist
I will probably be crucified here for stating that but for all its faults I had far more fun playing a fully community-patched version of Gothic 3 (with redone balancing) than playing Risen. After Chapter 2 Risen became a chore and and finishing it required quite some willpower. Risen still features some of the trademark excellent world design of PB which rewards wandering off the beaten path but overall it completely failed to grab me, probably because the overall plot and many characters were simply uninteresting and the gameplay didn't make up for that. While they tried to hide it similar to Gothic 1 the gameworld felt strangely contracted compared to the vast expense that was Gothic 3. Oh well, I was already unsure if I would purchase Risen 2 after the disappointing predecessor but after reading the recent beta impressions it looks more and more like it will be added to the long list of games I ignore (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc.).

adure

Liturgist
i think this "betatest" was just a test for PB how this Steam stuff works.
nothing to do with game mechanics or bugs.

I will probably be crucified here for stating that but for all its faults I had far more fun playing a fully community-patched version of Gothic 3 (with redone balancing) than playing Risen. After Chapter 2 Risen became a chore and and finishing it required quite some willpower. Risen still features some of the trademark excellent world design of PB which rewards wandering off the beaten path but overall it completely failed to grab me, probably because the overall plot and many characters were simply uninteresting and the gameplay didn't make up for that. While they tried to hide it similar to Gothic 1 the gameworld felt strangely contracted compared to the vast expense that was Gothic 3. Oh well, I was already unsure if I would purchase Risen 2 after the disappointing predecessor but after reading the recent beta impressions it looks more and more like it will be added to the long list of games I ignore (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc.).
:bro: Same here, Gothic 3 has vast and beautiful fantasy world, while Risen's is very bleak and unmemorable.

Stabwound

Arcane
Shitty article from a shitty website by a shitty author: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/29/hands-on-risen-2-dark-waters/

The guy sounds like an idiot, complaining about "trial & error difficulty" of monsters and calling it "awkward", but at least that part sounds like it retains the PB open world, get slaughtered if you go to the wrong place thing.

He makes it sound like it's riddled with QTE which is a massive :decline: if you can't even avoid them.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Riddled? From the article he makes it sound like he encountered only once? Everything else sounds like Risen with some Aaahr thrown in. No preview or review will make me interested in this though since none will address the most important point. Will the game once again have a great start and then devolve into utter cookie cutter dungeon crawling like every other PB game?

If they for once make the endgame as interesting as the start I'll buy it instantly. Otherwise, meh. I'll wait for people here to play through it and see.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well, from what I've read from other forums, there are QTE in various parts of the game world. One example was the alligator monsters, which will result in a QTE fight if they bite you. I really hope they're not thrown in as much as it sounds like, but it doesn't sound very promising from what I've read.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I couldn't care less. Yes, they are usually lame. Yes, they are overused. But as long as they only appear sometimes and don't turn the game into one of those interactive movie thingies they sure as hell won't stop me from playing a game and having fun.

A game starting out all open and turning into a lame dungeon crawl halfway through is something different though. PB has always seemingly run out of steam halfway through. I'd be surprised if it's different this time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shitty article from a shitty website by a shitty author: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/29/hands-on-risen-2-dark-waters/

The guy sounds like an idiot, complaining about "trial & error difficulty" of monsters and calling it "awkward", but at least that part sounds like it retains the PB open world, get slaughtered if you go to the wrong place thing.
Trial and error is a legitimate complaint if true (it's possible he's just not paying enough attention, maybe not). There should be clear (but not necessarily literal) signposts for dangerous areas and monsters should have attacks that can be predicted.

Kraszu

Prophet

Trial and error is a legitimate complaint if true (it's possible he's just not paying enough attention, maybe not). There should be clear (but not necessarily literal) signposts for dangerous areas and monsters should have attacks that can be predicted.

No, you can see a monster before it can see you vast majority of times anyway. If the distinction between less dangerous areas, and dangerous ones would be so obvious then some of the suspense would be lost. I had died only few times because I didn't know how strong the monster is. I don't see why that is a big deal for some.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, you can see a monster before it can see you vast majority of times anyway. If the distinction between less dangerous areas, and dangerous ones would be so obvious then some of the suspense would be lost. I had died only few times because I didn't know how strong the monster is. I don't see why that is a big deal for some.
All right you can see it, but how do you know if you can take it or not? If there's absolutely no way of knowing until you've been one-shotted, that's no good (because then knowing to stay away from a certain area requires meta-knowledge rather than in-game knowledge). Though I read in the other thread that a NPC warns you about the spider so Rossignol is in fact being a bad player here and he deserved his death.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Since Jaesun cares so much about fellow codexers supporting Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes I'll just say that Risen2 is a typical PB game, for better or worse. Will buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom