Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Stauff

Liturgist
Why hasn't the Beta been leaked yet?
Steam only.. Need some crackers team to decode it. They probably won't bother. And I think it's safe to say - this is abso-fucking-lutely not a beta.. It's even not a demo. Some half-baked stuff thrown at CE owners for unknown reasons.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dawww man, and i started R1 in a rush because i wanted to be ready for 2!

Well, i still maintain hope. Neither Gothic or Risen are exactly what i'd call deep and Majestic rpg experiences. As long PB still maintains their ability to craft an interesting and living world i think i could still enjoy it. That, and hopefully the interface doesn't reek of console too much.

It's not about having a deep RPG system, Gothic and Risen was always about the vast amount of little details sprinkled here and there that all add up to the game. However, everything we've heard about Risen 2 indicates that they've done away with all these details. How can you hope to have an interesting and living world without the little things?

curry

Arcane

What the fuck is this shit!!!

2jb6wzb.jpg

a0yljc.jpg

The first one looks like a drinking competition and in the second one you shoot at random flying objects

msxyz

Augur
I had high hopes for Risen 2 but now that the release date is approaching, with every preview I read, I'm feeling less and less compelled to buy this game.

Stabwound

Arcane
Maybe this "teaser" is just incomplete and not representative of the final game. I mean... right guys?

:what:

Stauff

Liturgist
How's the quality of writing, quest design and encounter design?
Like I already said ... PB discovered pirates of carrabean and liked it. A lot. Nothing good coming out of it.. Quest design so far can be described as boring and banal.. Its very troubling that some dhl quets have targets standing 5 meters from quest giver.. Still I think some quests might be interesting in the end. Encounters are very bad, looks like a tooth fairy visited model designers , all monsters are ugly as hell with tons of teeth for unknown reason. As for beta it was mostly centred around killing hordes of boars.. Good old times with killer boars of g3 are left in the past, new boars are just pathetic..

One last rumbling - looks like gold in r2 is significantly inflated typical prices for typical quests are around 200, 500 gp, teachers and trainers easily demand 500/1000.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So if PB fucks something up it's the publishers fault. Aha.

Either way PB is now around for quite some time but they still didn't manage to crawl out of their 90s development style pit, that's probably why no real professional publisher wants to sign them up. Not even CDProjekt apparently (which they did with Larian).

Was nice knowing you PB.

Kraszu

Prophet

Either way PB is now around for quite some time but they still didn't manage to crawl out of their 90s development style pit, that's probably why no real professional publisher wants to sign them up. Not even CDProjekt apparently (which they did with Larian).

Was nice knowing you PB.

90s style development, what does that even mean? Not sure if troll or not.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
90s style development = Amateurish approach to technical and design challenges, plus more bugs than content.

Sorry, but looking at that video, R2 reminds me of Gothic 1 with a Pirates paint. They gotta do a bit better if they wanna survive.

Kraszu

Prophet
90s style development = Amateurish approach to technical and design challenges, plus more bugs than content.

Sorry, but looking at that video, R2 reminds me of Gothic 1 with a Pirates paint. They gotta do a bit better if they wanna survive.

Can you give some examples of professional approach to design challenges in say a masterpieces like Mass Effect? Can be some other game as well I don't even know what you are talking about. And point to say bad design in say Risen for an example of amateur design.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...o-get-the-full-game.69025/page-3#post-1950670

"I've heard rumors that DS wanted to make a pirate RPG with fantasy elements to capitalize on the Pirates of the Caribbean success, so after Risen tanked, PB had no choice but to work on the pirate RPG and call it Risen 2, hence the suddenly appeared guns and voodoo. Then they spent the budget on making it pretty, accessible, and console-friendly."

If Gothic 2 is any indication, PB style is to build on top, not start from scratch and redo the world, the animations, and art assets.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Can you give some examples of professional approach to design challenges in say a masterpieces like Mass Effect? Can be some other game as well I don't even know what you are talking about. And point to say bad design in say Risen for an example of amateur design.

There's old-school design done right (Fallout, IWD, Gothic 1+2), and then there's old-school design out of place and relevance (Risen 2).

I hope I'm wrong though, but this game sort of looks a bit too rushed. I can live with the rough production values, but shit, minigames and banal shit boring quests/encounters? Not so good.

@VD

Point taken now that I read it.

curry

Arcane
Well I hope they make enough money out of it to ditch Deep Silver and develop a real Gothic title now that they own the rights again

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
And who is gonna publish it huh? There ain't many small-sized European publishers around interested in publishing a franchise that is hardly known outside Germany and the Codex.

Big Kwan publishers only want BIG FUCK YEAH games.

Maybe they could hook up with CDProjeckt, or dtp, but apart from that, I don't see any alternatives.

Kraszu

Prophet

There's old-school design done right (Fallout, IWD, Gothic 1+2), and then there's old-school design out of place and relevance (Risen 2).

I hope I'm wrong though, but this game sort of looks a bit too rushed. I can live with the rough production values, but shit, minigames and banal shit boring quests/encounters? Not so good.

@VD

Point taken now that I read it.

So in other words you can't give any examples. I was asking for a specific examples not a game list.

Stauff

Liturgist
Btw remember some video talking about how über cool animations in risen 2 will be? It's all lies. Animations are all over the top f.ex. Steelbeards daughter swing her hips with such constant ferocity it's almost like wtf is with her?

Guys I really want a hive mind answer to simple question what this all beta stuff is all about? Why did they do that, what's the logic in this? They apparently don't need our opinion..

http://www.risen2.com/monsters/leviathan/ he-he somebody in either PB or DS is really into TEETH

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom