Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RIP, id (Carmack has left id for Oculus Rift).

Liston

Augur
Good. And that's why he should GTFO from game design and do things he's good at.

As a programmer? Yes. As game designer? No.

Has he ever worked as game designer? I always thought that he is only software engineer.

As for it being the fad, I'm expecting it to stay periodically repeating fad till the technology arises that allows VR without making it a hassle involving cumbersome special gear and not being able to switch between it and RL/desktop.

So you are waiting for implants that will be hooked up to your optical nerve. :troll:
Seriously thou, while Oculus may not be breakthrough some people expect I don't think it's that far from it. I can see a decently sized niche community forming around a better version of Oculus (not necessarily from the same company) 5 years from now.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I am surprised microsoft doesn't jump on this so their marks customers are less likely to notice the spyware kinect watching them.

Dexter

Arcane
I am surprised microsoft doesn't jump on this so their marks customers are less likely to notice the spyware kinect watching them.
Afaik they have AR in mind: http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-fil...-SiteFiles/images-news-xbox720/xbox720doc.pdf
http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...s-detailed-in-microsoft-patent-filing-1170681
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...ml&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20130196757

xbox4elecg.png

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Head tracking can be a cool way to expand possible motion range by allowing one to look independently of turning, but it won't replace other control methods for actual movement and turning.

And it is probably never meant to be a control method.

I believe head tracking VR is mainly used to create a better 3D effect than the currently available shutter-glasses+monitor. The way head tracking enhances 3D can be explained by this:

Last edited:

Severian Silk

The headgear make sense for a vehicle simulator, since you're not expected to move your physical body anyway. It doesn't make as much sense for FPS though where your character is running around but your body remains stationary in front of the video screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
The headgear make sense for a vehicle simulator, since you're not expected to move your physical body anyway. It doesn't make as much sense for FPS though where your character is running around but your body remains stationary in front of the video screen.

You only need to have a look at how ARMA incorporates it to see its potential, but for arcade/casual FPS (the majority of what is out there) then no, separate head and mouse tracking is just extra work for a limited gimmick payoff.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.gamefront.com/rage-creative-director-matt-hooper-oculus-vr/

UPDATE: We’ve received an official statement from Oculus VR on the hiring of Matt Hooper: ““We are thrilled to have Matt Hooper join the Oculus VR team as our Director of Development. Hooper will be working out of the Dallas, TX office. He’s a top talent who had been out of id for a few months and ended up being a great fit for the Oculus team. We’re looking for more all-stars!”

Original Story

John Carmack wasn’t the only id Software employee – current or former – to join the ranks at Oculus VR this week.

Matt Hooper, the decade-long veteran of id Software who served as Creative Director on 2011′s Rage, has an updated LinkedIn profile. After officially parting ways with id and Bethesda roughly six months ago, Hooper is now the Director of Development in Oculus VR’s new Dallas office.

After RAGE’s lukewarm reception from critics (despite the 80ish Metacritic score) as well as the public, it’s been widely believed, but not confirmed, that Hooper fell on the sword and left the studio. While id Software has been rather open and amicable about Todd Hollenshead’s recent departure, the studio, and it’s publisher, have been comparatively tight-lipped about Matt Hooper. When I brought up Hooper with Tim Willits during our QuakeCon interview, his response was a short, curt, and simple “No. That one I can definitely say I cannot comment on.”

Before his positions at Oculus and id Software, Hooper was a designer at Ion Storm.
Earlier this week, John Carmack joined Oculus VR as their new Chief Technology Officer, and he will also be working out of the new Oculus Dallas offices.

We’ve reached out to Oculus VR for comment, and will update this story as more information comes in. And look for the rest of Game Front’s interview with Tim Willits later this week.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...connect-keynote-probably-had-samsung-cringing

John Carmack, famed keystone developer of 3D networked gaming, has now been working with virtual reality company Oculus for over a year. Much of that time has been spent collaborating with Samsung on the forthcoming Gear VR headset. At his keynote presentation during Oculus Connect, Carmack took to the stage with 90 unscripted minutes of no holds barred discussion of the last 12 months in VR. 'I believe pretty strongly in being very frank and open about flaws and limitations so this is kind of where I go off message a little bit from the standard PR plan and talk very frankly about things,' he said to applause from the audience.

Carmack simply follows the code of science; big corps shit their pants as usual.

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom