Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fire is so fucking deadly.
It just takes ONE fucking incendiary launcher raider and the whole colony will get in trouble unless they have that foam tech on hand, and it's gonna cost 75 steel and 1 component to deploy.
I don't mind that so much, you can mitigate that by base design anyway. But what's crazy imo is how fast the temperatures rise indoors - throw a molotov on the ground and suddenly it's 100C degrees inside, even when there's nothing burning but the molotov fuel!

I've tried to weaponize this somehow but so far only bee succesful against insectoids - build enough power cable into the same cavern they appeared into, then set it on fire and watch them heatstroke to death. Just be sure to have a way to quickly de-heat to avoid too much of the heat spreading to and staying in your base.
share me some of those anti-fire trick? i find it not very fun dealing with fire in this game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fire is so fucking deadly.
It just takes ONE fucking incendiary launcher raider and the whole colony will get in trouble unless they have that foam tech on hand, and it's gonna cost 75 steel and 1 component to deploy.
The constant micro to put out the fire drove me nuts.

Switch to bricks. I always upgrade from wood to stone at some point.

RK47

Patron
I still think the best counter is just to have two foam ready to install in storage.
Think of it like a disposable fire extinguisher.

Johannes

Arcane
I still think the best counter is just to have two foam ready to install in storage.
Think of it like a disposable fire extinguisher.
Minimize use of wood most importantly, and have as little as possible flammable shit (crops, powersources) exposed to where enemies may fire to, have some walls to cover you. And don't let grass, trees, etc flammable shit grow in your yard in big patches.

Also pay attention to where your power lines are, since they're flammable.

And don't have too many batteries, at least not linked together. The more power stored the bigger explosion you get on "zzzt!" event.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And don't have too many batteries, at least not linked together. The more power stored the bigger explosion you get on "zzzt!" event.
Good advice!
I like to have a big barn full of batteries connected to the circuit by a switch. When the batteries are almost full, I open the switch to disable the connection. When I need power, I close the switch. This prevents Zzzt! (overload) events altogether, but of course requires maintenance and attention.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Build a roof/pave over power lines that run outside your colony or aren't inside walls, especially those that are connected to far away geothermals.

Fire inside your colony really shouldn't happen unless the enemy drop-pods into your base with incendiaries. Make sure that at least 3 tiles around your colony aren't flammable or that you have stone-walls (steel walls can still burn) to keep fire out, and try to fight outside your colony as much as possible. Big fires are quite troublesome so your best bet is to prevent it from troubling you in the first place.

RK47

Patron
Hm, now that I realize I can uninstall battery, I can easily just bring 1 full battery when I go on caravan trip to another map, set up 2-3 turrets and some sandbags outside ancient evil and crack open the wall.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
If I have two Pyromaniacs... and they love each other... should I just ship them off on some crossworld danger death march? I'm currently doing the best I've ever done (which is not much, but it's always ironman) and I'm worried one of these days their little fire fantasies are gonna go way the fuck out of control and destroy everything.

Amputate their hands, let's see how they start fires after that.

Haven't had that yet, what kind of wall (2 thick?) would you need to contain it completely? Mine's just a 1 thick wooden fuck shack right now.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Granite walls usually are enough to keep even bigger storages safe, doing it with wood will cause trouble though. One of my earliest colonies failed because I had about 30 batteries or so in one giant wooden room. Once the inevitable short-circuit happened the explosion impact killed half my colony immediately, the remaining half died due to my mountain-base transformating into a gigantic sauna in the matter of seconds.

Lesson learned, try to avoid wood as much as possible and as soon as possible for a multitude of reasons. Way easier to tunnel in for sappers, way easier to tunnel out for infestations, fires inside your base are incredibly troublesome with wooden walls since you have to fight it from more than one side and it will continue to find food. Once you build with stone, even if shit start to hits the fan at worst you lose a single room since the fire cannot spread. Just make sure to let it burn out and delete the room in question from your home area so people aren't blindly running inside a room that by now propbably is 500°C degrees or more.

As for keeping explosions small and rare, the aforementioned hints are a start(roof over anything eletricity related since it doesn't like water that much). Try to keep areas that are only needed during daytime linked to a seperate power circuit that only uses solar generators (greenhouses for example, since plants only grow during day anyway so there are no batteries required at all), don't build with wood, try to keep seperate power circuits for different areas so a single outage or BZZT won't fuck with your entire base etc. You can also make use of power switches, though I suggest downloading the mod that lets you put switches on a schedule/auto activate if a pawn is in the room etc.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Is hay generally worth growing for your animal farm or can you make do with feeding them berries or some shit (I got a ton stashed)? Haven't really bothered with animal husbandry before since I never had a decent trainer pawn, but now I got a random event for 3 already tame alpacas joining my mötley crew and since their wool is so preciousss I kinda wanna keep them around. And since they're so woolly, I assume they won't need some warmed up shelter for the winter (ezmode temperate forest, so I doubt it'll get very cold).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Theres pretty much 3 possible options for sustaining an animal farm, depending on your biome.
Can you grow all year round? Grow Dandelions and make sure your animals have access to it. They grow quickly and have high nutrition.
Can you not grow all your round, but have easy access to meat all year round (for example by breeding chickens)? Make pemmican.
None of the above? Make hay. Pemmican has way higher nutrition per unit, while hay stacks in 200, pemmican 75. 10 stacks of pemmican can still keep more animals fed than 10 stacks of hay.

Since raid sizes and their grade of equipment scales with your colonies wealth, and pemmican has a much higher value than for example hay, you might want to think about producing large amounts of pemmican very early. To be completely honest though, I never really bothered with trying to keeping my wealth low, raids are barely an issue once you have a proper defense setup.

As to what animals to keep, chickens can feed your entire colony and make an absurd amount of money too. They can however easily flood your colony, quite similar to DF cats, and lag the game. Alpacas are amazing for their wool, cows produce decent amounts of milk, and I also always like to have a little cave outside my base where I keep about a dozen grizzly bears that I can just release whenever my colonists are raiding themselves or I just cannot be bothered to deal with a tribal raid. There is also nothing more hilarious than hiding like 500 fertilized eggs somewhere during a succession fort, and making sure they hatch the second the next guy opens the save.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I remember having around 30 fertilized eggs in one of the earlier builds, without knowing that it will spawn a lot of chickens. They got stored in my refrigerator room and... Well, you might imagine what happened. After spawning, they basicly ate whole my food in 2 or maybe 3 days. That was hilarious seeing those 30 motherfuckers running around the room while all the food was gone. Nice way to screw your colony over :D

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I started bothering with animal zones when I planned on doing a turtle farm. Eventually I realized that the parents would just eat the fertilized eggs after laying them. Fuck turtles.

Ideally you have one zone for the majority of the year, where they can just graze the whole area except for your fridge, and one for winter/raids/fallout where they are sheltered and just eat whatever you stored for them.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Progress update on Alpha 17
Posted February 8th, 2017 by Tynan Sylvester
This is just a quick update on what we’re working on now, since it’s been some time since Alpha 16 came out and I don’t want anyone thinking I died or became a Venezuelan monk or something.

Alpha 17 is in progress. This update is going to be a refinement build. That means we’re focusing entirely on fixing things that are wrong with the game, and are not adding wholly new features.

So far we’ve fixed hundreds of bugs. I’ve made a collection of new balance analysis tools and using those, along with community feedback and videos, have rebalanced several gameplay systems. We’re also doing a review of how memory is handled, to reduce memory waste that leads to sub-optimal performance or out-of-memory crashes. I’ve compiled a list of exploit strategies that players use to gain advantage by exploiting tricky gaps in game logic, or bugs, and worked out solutions to most of them. Some exploit fixes are mechanics changes, some are balance changes, and quite a few involve reworking the AI. We’ve also been adding bits of feedback or micro-features here and there where needed; one example would be the new “mass” column in each character’s “gear” tab, so you can tell how heavy each stack is.

It turns out that in a game this complex, there are quite a few places for subtle problems to hide! In fact I’m continually amazed at how many problems can be layered into a game that still manages to entertain so many people.

The current plan is to finish refinements and then release that as Alpha 17. But – there is the possibility we’ll not release a “refinements-only” update and just wait until we’ve finished the refinements, and then some additional features beyond, to push a public release. This is because each release does create some chaos in the community, since it inevitably breaks mod compatibility (though maybe not vanilla save game compatibility, since the mechanics aren’t being redesigned drastically). The question of whether we’ll release Alpha 17 as a refinements-only build, or wait to add on significant new content remains open.

I invite your thoughts on this in this forum poll and thread.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Currently enjoying Call of Cthulhu a lot. Neat little alternatives for lightning/joy-related stuff, clothes like robes, trenchcoats and even uniforms and other cult-related shenanigans. You can also get your ass handed to you by deep ones, star vampires, cthonians and other assorted monstrosities. Or sacrifice some of your prisoners to summon them yourself to defend your colony (or have your cult-leader fuck up the ceremonial ritual and watch them tear your colony into pieces instead). Fun stuff. The art also doesn't seem out of place and instead fits the vanilla rimworld quite nicely.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
What are some good mods?
World Pawn GC is a must-have fix for now, though I suspect A17 will do something similar as far as that non-colonist pawn build-up goes, Tynan's been talking about the issue. But for A16 it's a massive performance boost for long-term/larger colonies.

"World" pawns are pawns that are kept around in the background, and simulated, tracked so that you can experience things like raiders coming back in later raids, or keep your colonist's family members in existence when they aren't on the map. A lot of them can build up over time; in a large, old colony they can easily make up 50% of the time taken to calculate each tick. When traveling on the world, with out any active colony maps, it can be 90% or more. This mod implements a garbage collector for world pawns. It looks over all of the world pawns, figures out which ones are related to "important" pawns (e.g. your colonists), and throws away the rest.

His Vanilla Fixes is p. sweet too.

Other than that, you'll probably want a mod that makes surgery less retarded, at the very least.

Man, volcanic winter + cold snap ain't no fun - had to resort to buying shitty caravan trader pemmican to keep my animals alive, how disgusting.

Last edited:
Any mod that tones down the 'Zzztt' event? One that makes it destroy one tile and set fire to it would be ideal.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Whole lot o mods deal with Zzztt. From durable cables, for more expensive but zztt-proof power lines to fuses and stuff

RK47

Patron
Concluded a game with Turi and noticed a few funny bugs
Mom older than daughter (???)

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Concluded a game with Turi and noticed a few funny bugs
Mom older than daughter (???)
Not a bug. Notice it says "biological" age. The mother's "absolute" age is 125 due to the time dilation effects of space travel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom