Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

circ

Arcane
I did another try. Better crew.

Uh what happened? Pet died. Then a little later oh yeah. Destructed a wall, for some reason colonists don't know shit about smashing walls and a roof dropped on them and they died. So, in that situation WHAT DO U DO? WHAT DO U DO? Resort to cannibalism? Ok. This got everyone so fucking depressed one of them went psycho. KAY.

Anyway. Tried one more time. Shit was going fine, got two new colonists, one rescued one just said YO IMMA JOIN U LOL. KAY. Then a lightning storm destroyed a wall at some other structure halfway across the map. Murderbots emerged and slaughtered everyone.

This is retarded.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They bitch about gender roles in a game where you can build a concentration camp for gays, lesies and blacks if you want. Or where you can literaly force blacks to grow and pick cotton while your white colonists are playing pool and sip cold beer.
Cute, but you're being silly. The freedom to commit crimes or behave how you want in a game is not the same as having discrimination built into the rules systemically.
Is those rules "discrimination" to you? Most, from what I saw, mirrored real life quite well.
Of course it's discrimination. The game discriminates, i.e. posits substantial differences, between men and women, straights and gays. Whether or not it's realistic is beside the point.

The point is that there's a difference between the player using a neutral game space to commit genocide against martians, and the game itself saying, "Martians are subhuman scum who deserve to die, look at their sucky stats and evil traits." I'm not saying this discrimination is good or bad, realistic or fantastic; I'm just saying Fargus is dumb because he doesn't comprehend that difference and why it's important.

Beastro

Arcane
They bitch about gender roles in a game where you can build a concentration camp for gays, lesies and blacks if you want. Or where you can literaly force blacks to grow and pick cotton while your white colonists are playing pool and sip cold beer.
Cute, but you're being silly. The freedom to commit crimes or behave how you want in a game is not the same as having discrimination built into the rules systemically.
Is those rules "discrimination" to you? Most, from what I saw, mirrored real life quite well.
Of course it's discrimination. The game discriminates, i.e. posits substantial differences, between men and women, straights and gays. Whether or not it's realistic is beside the point.

The point is that there's a difference between the player using a neutral game space to commit genocide against martians, and the game itself saying, "Martians are subhuman scum who deserve to die, look at their sucky stats and evil traits." I'm not saying this discrimination is good or bad, realistic or fantastic; I'm just saying Fargus is dumb because he doesn't comprehend that difference and why it's important.

That Hatred game touches on that and why it isn't fun.

It's enjoyable in a game like this to make an industry on your own butchering your enemies and selling the skin and meat for a profit, it's not fun if that was the entire point of game you got railroaded into.

Again, breaking tension acting stupid in serious games = fun, Goat Simulator and "ironic" humor = not fun.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ugh, are they even aware of the amount of work that goes into a game of this scope? This isn't Depression Quest or Revolution 60 that can be cobbled together in a day by a dev worth their salt. She even says she's commenting on incomplete systems, but isn't willing to drop the issue and instead focuses on spurring outrage.

I've been working on a colony sim hobby project in my free time and each system even in its most basic form represents days and in most cases weeks of my time. World gen? Took me several days and it's not random- yet. Furniture placement? Only covers walls that change according to their neighbors, floor tiles and doors. I haven't even started on furniture objects that spans multiple tiles. Jobs? Jesus, you don't even want to know how long that took me and I've been breaking my head over priority queuing for jobs. This represents roughly 3 months of my life and you know what I have to show for that? You can place floor tiles and walls and the character will head over to build them. That's it. I wonder, once I eventually start on the hunger system, am I going to get attacked by banting fiends for 'supporting' high carb diets in the first iteration of the system if everyone is forced to eat potatoes?

This is the problem with people like the author of this hit-piece. She's got a 'honorary' degree in gender studies from EveryDayFeminism.com and now she thinks she's qualified to comment on videogames that are still in the early development phase. How do you even make that leap? This woman is absolutely going to hate my game. My intention for my colony sim is for it to be based on cannibalistic tree-dwelling elves with a superiority complex and enslavement of lesser races will play a big role, especially as a means to gather resources. I'll be flogged for white privilege and being literally hitler. :lol:

kris

Arcane

I always saw discrimination as someone being excluded from something or not allowed to do something. While this points towards men being discriminated from being bi-sexuals I dont see either sex or whatever excluded from anything. This is all just rules for characters attraction. and very basic ones at that. Unless you are saying that it is discrimination when you dont want a a certain partner for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always saw discrimination as someone being excluded from something or not allowed to do something. While this points towards men being discriminated from being bi-sexuals I dont see either sex or whatever excluded from anything. This is all just rules for characters attraction. and very basic ones at that. Unless you are saying that it is discrimination when you dont want a a certain partner for whatever reason.
You screwed up the quotes. Fixed.

I was talking about the most basic form of discrimination. Saying "Women behave like this and men behave like that." That is discrimination. Look it up. If you are more attracted to other definitions of that word (and others do exist), good for you, but your liking one definition more than another is not going to help you understand what I was talking about.

Armed with this new information about the English language, you are now equipped to return to my post that confused you and start over. Good luck.

GrainWetski

Arcane
We're talking about a game. We're talking about a game. We ain't talking about real people. We're talking about a game.

Fargus

Arcane

Ouch, i do understand. But then again, they are not triggered at the game because it has incest, slavery, drug production, organ harvesting, but because "opression" been coded into the game. You SJW types are never happy and always find some pathetic reason to be offended.

We're talking about a game. We're talking about a game. We ain't talking about real people. We're talking about a game.

But... but its current year!

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
I was talking about the most basic form of discrimination. Saying "Women behave like this and men behave like that." That is discrimination. Look it up. If you are more attracted to other definitions of that word (and others do exist), good for you, but your liking one definition more than another is not going to help you understand what I was talking about.

Well, i disagree.

Zombra

Patron
Ouch, i do understand. But then again, they are not triggered at the game because it has incest, slavery, drug production, organ harvesting, but because "opression" been coded into the game. You SJW types are never happy and always find some pathetic reason to be offended.
I'm not offended. Nobody bothered to ask my opinion, but I think it's great to see men, women, gays, and straights behaving differently in game based on real statistical models.

I think you still missed the point.

Eh, fiction matters.

Saying "Women behave like this and men behave like that." That is discrimination. Look it up.
Well, i disagree.
Do I really need to quote dictionary.com? You're not disagreeing with me but with the English language itself. Look it up.

Last edited:

from recent dev's post on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/):

dev said:
This is a fairly subtle point, but it's important: People tend to think of game characters as people, but they're not. They don't have internal experiences. They only have outward behaviors, and they are totally defined by those behaviors, because that's all the player can see, and the player's POV is the only one that matters.

Idk how dipshits fail to realize that, I can see that after being cockblocked by bethesda and other big publishers, game journos gotta make money somehow, but their readers... how are they so retarded? did they ever, just once, in their pathetic lives applied critical thinking to ANYTHING at all?

The more I live, the more I feel like irredeemable idiots - are the only people I truly hate with all my heart.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Two weeks ago, when I started playing this, it was my GOTY 2016!

A week ago, I got bored with it, and started to mod it.

Today, I don't think this is a good game without much more content.

I totally love the idea: Dwarf Fortress with a usable GUI!!! But a very old, 2D one at that...

Well, perhaps in three years time it will be nice to play for more than two hours. But Tyrian already reaped the reward. He isn't interested in large changes that could torpedo the success and $$$. So it is unlikely to get expanded and fixed.

Too bad.

Beastro

Arcane

That's the modern take on the world.

Not long ago discrimination had positive connotations implying someone with standards that sought out the best and was willing to pay premium for it. That was behind Folger's old tag line, that it was so good despite being brand name coffee even the most discriminating coffee drinkers loved it.

It's no coincidence that angle died. Today having standards is evil, everything must be accepted.

dev said:
This is a fairly subtle point, but it's important: People tend to think of game characters as people, but they're not. They don't have internal experiences. They only have outward behaviors, and they are totally defined by those behaviors, because that's all the player can see, and the player's POV is the only one that matters.

Idk how dipshits fail to realize that, I can see that after being cockblocked by bethesda and other big publishers, game journos gotta make money somehow, but their readers... how are they so retarded? did they ever, just once, in their pathetic lives applied critical thinking to ANYTHING at all?

The more I live, the more I feel like irredeemable idiots - are the only people I truly hate with all my heart.

Too much ingestion of Death of the Author thinking.

Fargus

Arcane
But Tyrian already reaped the reward.

Midget from Game of Thrones? Yeah, he's a conniving little cur.

I played it before steam and over 160 hours on steam with mods. I really hate my friend for recommending it to me, this game is like a narcotic. We also love to laugh at all the sick and crazy stuff that usually going on in it. It's so over the top.

PrettyDeadman

Do I really need to quote dictionary.com? You're not disagreeing with me but with the English language itself. Look it up.

According to dictionary.com to discriminate is to "to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately", "
to make or constitute a distinction in or between, differentiate", "to note or distinguish as different".
Is it really problematic to make a distinction between sexes? If I am not mistaken, modern feminist theory was born out of critical race theories, where whitewashing or pretending to be color blind is considered to be an offense, how come discrimination is considered bad in feminist theory then?

circ

Arcane
Nigga invaders just jumped from bows and arrows to handgrenades and I don't even have a fifth of the steel I need for my ship. Actually I might have half now.

Also earlier I built a failed, well I abandoned it, fortress with steel, but turns out wood works just fine. Well, one shot doors and walls from handgrenades, but other than that.

Zombra

Patron
According to dictionary.com to discriminate is to "to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately", "
to make or constitute a distinction in or between, differentiate", "to note or distinguish as different".
Is it really problematic to make a distinction between sexes?
For about the sixth time, that is completely irrelevant to the point. The point is that when a game discriminates, it is different than when a player discriminates. The protesters, right or wrong, were criticizing that the game discriminates. Fargus claimed that this was not a legitimate criticism, because the game already allows the player to discriminate. That is dumb.

PrettyDeadman

Is it really problematic to make a distinction between sexes?
For about the sixth time, that is completely irrelevant to the point. The point is that when a game discriminates, it is different than when a player discriminates. The protesters, right or wrong, were criticizing that the game discriminates. Fargus claimed that this was not a legitimate criticism, because the game already allows the player to discriminate. That is dumb.

If you are pointing out that in this situation 'discrimination' can only be used as a neutral term (to discriminate == to differentiate) and not as a negative term (as in discriminate == to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on thebasis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thingbelongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality) when I agree with you. If you are telling that the fact that the game tries to make different genders behave differently is an act of opression then it's a completely differrnet thing.

Zombra

Patron
If you are telling that the fact that the game tries to make different genders behave differently is an act of opression then it's a completely differrnet thing.
I'm not saying that. Whether or not the game's discrimination is oppressive, again, is beside the point.

PrettyDeadman

If you are telling that the fact that the game tries to make different genders behave differently is an act of opression then it's a completely differrnet thing.
I'm not saying that. Whether or not the game's discrimination is oppressive, again, is beside the point.
I think the point of this controversy was that such discrimination was deemed opressive by mere fact that author tried to apply different rules to dfferent genders in his game.
Or were you talking about something different? I tried to follow the discussion and read a last few pages, but I still thought that you are talking about RPS article.

Zombra

Patron
I think the point of this controversy was that such discrimination was deemed opressive by mere fact that author tried to apply different rules to dfferent genders in his game.
Or were you talking about something different? I tried to follow the discussion and read a last few pages, but I still thought that you are talking about RPS article.
lol. I was talking about one dumb post about the protesters and got jumped at by several people, including that poster, who thought I was siding with the protesters. I don't have to side with anyone to note that that post's argument is stupid.

circ

Arcane
Fuck genders. It is what it is. Unless you actively encourage the dev to ignore the SJW demands you may as well twerk your nipples. The system is garbage though, but I don't lose my shit over inability to roll half-gays.

Anyway. Meet Hippo. Hippo got mauled by an elephant and got a left wooden peg-leg. Then later, a raider attacks. Hippo is now a dual amputee. In the legs. So, can you later get more advanced artificial legs? As there's some trait that I think talks about cybernetic body parts, but there's nothing cybernetic organism about wood.

Zombra

Patron
So, can you later get more advanced artificial legs? As there's some trait that I think talks about cybernetic body parts, but there's nothing cybernetic organism about wood.
Yeah, but you don't have the facilities to make them yourself. Talk to traders.

Fargus

Arcane
Anyway. Meet Hippo. Hippo got mauled by an elephant and got a left wooden peg-leg. Then later, a raider attacks. Hippo is now a dual amputee. In the legs. So, can you later get more advanced artificial legs? As there's some trait that I think talks about cybernetic body parts, but there's nothing cybernetic organism about wood.

Well, some things you can do about it:

1. Get mod that lets you make your own bionic implants. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10571.0
2. If you hate mods, wait for orbital trader to fly by your planet. Or maybe some caravan traders will have it. But you could end up waiting for months. Not to mention bionic body parts are expensive.
3. Rob this taffer-boy of his organs and dispose of him. Depends on how valuable Hippo is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom