Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rimworld - ALPHA 8 Released

Discussion in 'Space, Sims & City Builders' started by Tzaero, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Saarkgender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Saark
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Click here and disable ads!
    The game is very enjoyable even without mods. I haven't used any until I had spent well over 100 hours already. Most of the issues people like me seek to fix with mods won't even be noticed by new player during their first 20+ hours because there's a lot to get your head around already. You won't really care much about being able to sort all your colonists by shooting accuracy during your first couple of colonies. You also won't care whether the game actually pauses when a manhunter-animal gets thrown onto the map instead of just notifying you. It's part of the experience for a new player. So is mining out ore-veins themselves instead of having it done automatically thanks to a mod.

It's only when you get further in, have some experience with the game and seek out some quality of life fixes, new/more content or a higher difficulty that mods are "required" for the game because the aforementioned things become nuisances. You will barely be able to keep your first colony going, most mods are there to help people who have more advanced goals with their colony who do not struggle with the day to day stuff the game throws at you. Playing stuff like the Call of Cthulhu mod for example is for when you get a little bored with the vanilla-game, but that probably won't happen for a while. If you do get bored after a couple of hours already and seek mods to fix that I would argue that the core-game is just not engaging enough for you and mods aren't going to fix that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Forkrulgender: ⚧ Novice

Forkrul
    Parrots:
    I play without any mods and it's an excellent game. Haven't noticed any problems.

^ Top  
  3. orcinatorgender: ⚧ Learned

orcinator
    Parrots:

From what I can see;
    Minor Changes
    Increased incentive to travel (but probably not enough to actually bother with it since travel takes forever)
    stuff already seen in mods

Amount of content is still pathetic, so people who say vanilla is fine are dirty liars.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Do you see it as a positive or negative if a developer incorporates mod content into the main game for projects like this?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. KoolNoodlesgender: ⚧ Arcane

KoolNoodles
    Parrots:
    Positive, as long as the mods aren't dumb shit like anime hairstyles.

^ Top  
  6. tindrligender: ⚧ Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    i spent like 40 hours if not more without getting burned at all. but yes it wouldnt hurt ton or two more content

^ Top  
  7. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Are there any QoL mods to install for my first playthrough with the latest build?

^ Top  
  8. you know what time it isgender: ⚧ Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

anyone see this yet? rimworld in space. my urge to impulse buy is rising.

^ Top  
  10. circgender: ⚧ Arcane

circ
    Parrots:
    I got bored with it pretty quick (Starship Theory).

The concept's interesting but the execution isn't there yet. Mine asteroids, build heatvents. Yawn.

^ Top  
  11. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Unstable A18 patch
    Show Spoiler

RimWorld Alpha 18 unstable version is now available on the 'unstable' branch in Steam. Current build is 0.18.1700.

This version is unstable. There will be bugs, imbalances, and other annoyances. It won't be as good as the final build. Your game may get ruined by something really dumb. The game will update with no warning and anything can break or change. Please only test if you're willing to put up with that!

To use the build: In Steam, click RimWorld -> Properties - > Betas tab -> select 'unstable' branch. Restart Steam if necessary.

To report feedback: I love to hear play stories, balance feedback, and so on. Please feel free to post feedback in this thread, or make another thread. I can't reply to everything but I do read everything and take notes. The most useful feedback reports what happened in the game, and is based on longer experiences. Suggestions are cool, but stories and bug reports are really the best!

Please only post feedback specific to things that are new in A18; long-standing issues, suggestions and discussions should not be posted here please.

To report bugs: A bug is when the game isn't working as designed. If you find a bug, please report it in the Bugs forum, following the instructions in the How To Report A Bug thread. Much appreciated - public bug reports are essential!

Compatibility: Saved games from vanilla Alpha 17 should still be loadable, though some things may change. It'd be great if players could report any bugs with loading A17 maps. Complex mods won't be usable. Very simple mods may still load.

Announcement: I'm not trying to spread the news wide because the game is still unstable; I'd rather get some dedicated test time from the dedicated players here first! So of course it's fine to talk about it, but I won't be spamming all the PR channels with this. I will be spamming them when the alpha is actually done.

Video makers: I won't stop anyone from making videos of Alpha 18 in its unstable form, though I'd prefer you didn't. The experience may not be up to the standards of the public builds, because it hasn't had that level of testing, and I don't want people getting the wrong impression.

-----

Rough features list:

-New swamp biomes: Swamp biomes are hard to move through due to choking vegetation, and hard to build in due to swampy terrain. Many new plants were added to fill out these and other biomes.
    ----Tropical swamp
    ----Temperate swamp
    ----Cold bog

-New incidents:
    ----Meteorite impact. A meteorite impacts, leaving a lump of mineable ore.
    ----Aurora. A beautiful aurora lights up the night sky, improving mood.
    ----Tornado
    ----Peace talks quest
    ----World refugee quest
    ----Prisoner rescue quest

-Storyful combat:
    ----A major rework of melee combat, and a new way to report all combat interactions. Storyful combat generates a combat log that reports each blow, miss, swipe, block and fall in the combat. During or after a fight, you can review the combat log to see what happened, to generate a richer story.

-Various research has been split up
    ----Gun research is now broken into several stages, so making advanced guns like assault rifles takes more research than making simple revolvers
    ----Melee weapon research is now broken into several stages

-New furniture
    ----Bedroll: Portable bed
    ----Dresser: Passively improves room
    ----Endtable: Passive improves room
    ----Various new table sizes

-New quest reward special items:
    ----Psychic emanator
    ----Vanometric power cell
    ----Infinite chemreactor
    ----Techprof subpersona core
    ----Healer mechanite superdose
    ----Resurrector mechanite superdose
    ----Orbital bombardment targeter
    ----Orbital power beam targeter

-Tribal content upgrade:
    ----Ikwa melee weapon
    ----War mask
    ----Tribal headdress
    ----Recurve bow
    ----Tribal hunter
    ----Tribal heavy archer
    ----Tribal berserker

-New world site components (used in various situations):
    ----Sleeping mechanoids
    ----Animal ambush
    ----Enemy ambush

-New mental breaks:
    ----Insulting spree. Randomly go around and insult people.
    ----Targeted insulting spree. Follow around a specific other colonist, insulting them repeatedly.
    ----Tantrum. Go around randomly smashing furniture, buildings, and damageable items.
    ----Bedroom tantrum. Go to your own room and randomly smash furniture, buildings, and damageable items.
    ----Targeted tantrum. Go to destroy a single, specific, randomly-chosen, valuable item or building.
    ----Sadistic rage. Melee attack prisoners for a while. Fists only. Only occurs when there are prisoners to attack. Does not attack downed prisoners.
    ----Corpse obsession. Dig up a corpse and drop it on a meeting spot table or in a random high-traffic area. The mental break then ends.
    ----Catatonic. Collapse on the spot into a downed state with a psychological breakdown. Recover some days later. This can be implemented by a “catatonic breakdown” hediff.
    ----Jailbreaker. Colonist goes to a random prisoner (who is capable of prison breaking), and upon doing a special “spark jailbreak” action with them, induces an immediate prison break in that prisoner.
    ----Slaughterer. Slaughter random colony animal(s) periodically.
    ----Murderous rage. Hunt down a specific colonist or prisoner (randomly chosen) and attempt to kill them by melee attack. Uses melee weapon or fists, as equipped. Keep attacking until the target is dead.
    ----Run wild. The pawn basically starts acting like an animal. You can tame him to try to get him to rejoin.

-New mental inspirations. Basically reverse mental breaks - these give temporary bonuses to colonists in high moods.
    ----Work frenzy (1 day): Global work speed 2.5x
    ----Go frenzy (1 day): Walk speed 1.5x
    ----Shoot frenzy (3 days): Shooting hit chance improved as though the pawn is 10 skill levels higher.
    ----Inspired trade
    ----Inspired recruitment
    ----Inspired surgery
    ----Inspired art

-World features like lakes, mountain ranges, and bays are now detected and named. Names are displayed in the world view.
    -Caves now form sometimes in mountainous maps. Inside there are special cave plants. There can also be dormant insect hives.
    -Many new tale types were added. So, the game will record many new types of events, and colonists can make art about them. Art descriptions should be much more diverse.
    -Crop blights now appear and spread over time instead of instantly destroying crops
    -Spaceship is now bigger and has one more component, the sensor cluster
    -Spaceship quest ending phase: When going to the hidden space ship to finish the game, the game does not end instantly on arrival. The map generates with the ship intact. To take off, first you must power up the ship, which takes some days, during which you must survive raids.
    -Space ship construction now requires advanced components, which have their own tech tree and production method
    -Split pistol into revolver and autopistol
    -Artillery works differently now. There is one type of mortar, which can fire any type of shell, with each shell creating a different effect. The shells are explosive, incendiary, firefoam, and antigrain (a special high-tech warhead).
    -Seasonal latitudes: Seasons now more reasonably adjust depending on latitude. Instead of flipping at the equator, there is a seasonless crossover zone.
    -Redesigned alert letter types and sounds to be more specific.
    -Pawns can now be banished. This is analogous to abandoning pawns in caravans.
    -Many many tunings, bugfixes, and redesigns.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. SmartCheetahgender: ⚧ Savant

SmartCheetah
    Parrots:
    IT'S A PRANK BRO.

^ Top  
  13. you know what time it isgender: ⚧ Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    Unless they have multiple people working on different things, d be nice if they focused more on in-depth mechanics and on stuff that's hardcoded. Everything else is very likely to be taken care of by modders anyway. Patch's looking alright tho.

^ Top  
  14. Damned Registrationsgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Parrots:
    That's pretty much a given; at least for an art/sound/programming split. At best they can take someone and use them for help testing shit, but it's probably easier to have people test their own shit.

Some cool changes in there, I especially like the change to blight and seasons.

^ Top  
  15. SymbolicFrankgender: ⚧ Liturgist

SymbolicFrank
    Parrots:
    I retried a month ago, but I'm not sadistic and masochistic enough for this game.

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Beta 18 is out.

Some new stuff. But it seem new gameplay has completely stopped being developed. Shame, since there isn't that much to do in the game after you establish a colony.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Saarkgender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Saark
    Parrots:
    Seems to me that the devs are trying to expand more on the caravan/questing/raiding concept than further delving into the colony-sim itself. The last few patches the world travel/event system was pretty barebones but it's slowly getting more interesting. Apart from adding more threatening monsters/raids and more buildings/personalities/biomes to the list (which is still happening, albeit not nearly as much as it used to), there's no going deeper on the colony-sim part - and mods usually take care of any need one might have in that regard.
    Further improving the event/quest system on the other hand is more akin to what adventure mode eventually became for DF. Combining adventure mode and the colony-sim could make for very interesting gameplay in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Huh, I just noticed it went from "Alpha 17" to "Beta 18". A mere semantic change, but feels like a milestone of sorts. [​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Why I think "gameplay" has stopped being developed, doesn't beta mean feature complete?

Problem I have with the caravan stuff is that you don't have enough colonists to do those fun things. In Dwarf you can lose 90% of your dwarves and still recover. In Rimworld taking that risk is often just not worth it - and by that point you have a surplus of colonists there is no real reason to trade/attack (most often anyway) since you are already well-stocked on everything. Dwarf also has this problem though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 5:11 AM
    ^ Top  
  20. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I get the impression from this latest video that you're now "supposed to" go on the journey across the globe to the escape ship ... travel is not something I've done a lot of yet, but maybe it would be fun to actually start doing that. Colonize/build up resources/travel/stop to grow more food/caravan up again does seem like a potentially more interesting gameplay arc. I'm just so used to building a fortress that trying something else at this point seems kind of scary.

^ Top  
  21. axxgender: ⚧ Literate

axx
    Parrots:
    It's been a while since I've played Rimworld. So have the latest updates been emphasizing colony building/survival aspect of the game or is this becoming social experiment where you have to micromanage & babysit your colonists so that they don't get one of those gazillion mental breaks that contaminate your colony and spiral it into oblivion?

^ Top  
  22. Saarkgender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Saark
    Parrots:
    The last few updates have mostly been about improving your interaction with the world itself. You can create caravans that can travel the world-map now. You can do a bunch of stuff that way:
    -create a second/third/n-th colony for a specific reason (prison, mining, farming, meth-lab)
    -travel to bases from other factions to either trade with them or raid them, which is one of the best ways to get a shitload of prisoners
    -travel to a pre-built space-ship so you can "complete" the game without having to build one yourself
    -v17 and v18 added a bunch of quests you can get, where you need to fulfill a certain objective (raid a specific base, trade a specific resource, deliver slaves etc.) to get a reward. during v17 those rewards were fairly shitty and not worth the effort, with v18 those rewards are usually unique-items that you cannot get any other way
    -while fairly specific, I usually build a couple of pod-launchers while keeping a fairly huge army of animals. Imagine being one of those guys in a hostile base, when suddenly a dozen or so pods drop from the sky. While inspecting them, a single pod drops further away from all the others, with the animal tamer in them. On command all the other pods open and a few dozen crazed grizzly bears appear, ripping you and your buddies to pieces in a matter of seconds.

While travelling the world you can get attacked of course, either by wild animals or raiders. While your caravan is away you will obviously still have to fend off raiders in your main-colony, and that is fairly risky since raid-sizes and their equipment are based on the total value of your colony. Unless you have a decent defence-setup the remaining colonists will have trouble defending your colony. Since colonists can carry the travelling-rations, medicine, weapons and trading goods all by themselves, you have to get some sort of pack-animal first. A couple of muffalos or alpacas usually do the trick, although if you wanna play a band of gypsies that travel from plot to plot, always rebuilding their colony from scratch while taking their belongings with them, you will need a fairly big horde of them.

^ Top  
  23. axxgender: ⚧ Literate

axx
    Parrots:
    That actually sounds very interesting. Nice idea to just dump your colony and go to mad max 2-style voyage to reach spaceship. It seems though that the regular updates are far between, understandingly with the level of complexity the game has reached. Has he talked about further plans for the game?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nutriagender: ⚧ Educated

Nutria
    Parrots:
    In my experience, the mental breaks mostly occur when you're doing badly at the building/survival part of the game. They're basically punishments for when you fail to keep your people adequately fed and sheltered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    I highly recommend the mod Tiberium for extra challenge. It acts like it is in C&C lore. It destroys everything it touches, especially squishy biological entities.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Might actually have to make use of the caravan thingy and establish a new colony if I can't stop this spread. Gulp.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)