Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Richard Garriott's social games shit studio lays off staff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hero: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-17-redundancies-hit-portalarium-report

Richard Garriott's social developer lays off staff at its Austin studio

UPDATE: A representative for Portaliarium confirmed the news to GamesIndustry International, saying, "We are reducing staff to the appropriate levels to support and grow our recently launched products, as well as continue development of Richard Garriott's Ultimate RPG." The original story follows below.

Portalarium, the social game studio founded by Richard Garriott, has laid off an unspecified number of employees at its studio in Austin, Texas.

News of the redundancies broke on Twitter on Friday, when senior programmer Paul Evans said, “Today [Portalarium] had to lay off people and I was one of them.”

Evans, who was a programmer at Lionhead before making the move to Portalarium in July 2011, also noted that the redundancies were a “surprise” to the employees involved, and that Portalarium's management, “could've been better prepared with more notice.”

Portalarium was founded by veteran designer Richard Garriott in 2009. The studio's first social game, Ultimate Collector, soft launched on Facebook and Zynga.com in November, and counts the retailer Macy's and book publisher Simon & Schuster as brand partners.

Portalarium also raised $7 million in series A funding in July. The round was led by the UK VC firm m8 Capital, and included a contribution from Garriott himself.

"This is an important step for the growth of our company," said Garriott at the time.

Portalarium has been contacted regarding the redundancies. The story will be updated when more information is available.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've come to the conclusion that celebrity movie directors and game developers should be summarily executed shortly after they release their first bad movie/game, a concept not too dissimilar from the old Inuit practice of stranding elders who've become a burden to their community on ice floes and letting them drift out to sea.

We could have avoided a lot of trouble if Garriott had been shot shortly after the release of Ultima IX.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
When everyone says his new game is shit he will just say "Fuck you, I am going to space" and disappear for a couple of more months.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've come to the conclusion that celebrity movie directors and game developers should be summarily executed shortly after they release their first bad movie/game, a concept not too dissimilar from the old Inuit practice of stranding elders who've become a burden to their community on ice floes and letting them drift out to sea.

Yeah, this should've been done with David Braben after Frontier: First Encounters and to Chris Roberts after Strike Commander, right?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, this should've been done with David Braben after Frontier: First Encounters and to Chris Roberts after Strike Commander, right?

I'll answer this question once Elite: Dangerous (if it meets its goal) and Star Citizen are released.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sometimes, people make good games and are killed by the industry.

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

-An unknown author

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Quoting platitudes at me, eh? Very well, I'll compromise. Instead of death, they'll be exiled to West Virginia and forbidden from using a computer ever again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

We could have avoided a lot of trouble if Garriott had been shot shortly after the release of Ultima VIII.

Fixed that for you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think Gariott has already contracted Molyneux disease so I don't really have any hope for his upcoming shitty Facebook(?) Ultimate RPG game.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, this should've been done with David Braben after Frontier: First Encounters
Publisher meddling.
To the point DB actually sued the publisher and won (or got money via out of court settlement, don't remember).

Besides, FFE isn't exactly a bad game, it's effectively FE2++, except broken on release.

Finally, let's see how E4:D works out, shall we?

Severian Silk

Gariott, Molyneux and Braben should all join the same development house.

I'm pretty annoyed he can still get 6 million in investment (I imagine he put in about 500k-1mil of his own) for his deranged ideas. Think of what such money could be spent on instead of this tripe

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They could have been smart about it and taken him, Molyneux and Ridley Scott all at once and sent them drifting out of the solar system. Save the world from decline while also saving expensive rocket fuel.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
We could have avoided a lot of trouble if Garriott had been shot shortly after the release of Ultima IX.

What makes you think some of us didn't try?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom