Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Wesp5

Arcane
It sounds to me like he's talking about Anisotropic Filtering. Though it needs clarification if he's talking about ground textures here.

I don't know, I care little about the graphics, although I use SweetFX to get AA. Maybe it can improve texture clearness too?

Wesp5

Arcane
A sequel taking place during the days of Gehenna.... dammit

I believe in the upcoming version of the WoD Gehenna will not have happened as this only was a way to push the nWoD at the time.

Like, losing Humanity completely or only have 1 left the ending slide will show our character doing real nasty shit to fulfill their bloodthirst, and having 2 or 1 Masquerade point left you'll be hunted down by fellow Kindred, etc etc.

This is already kind of implemented in the normal game. If you break the Masquerade too often the Sheriff will come for you and it's game over. And if your Humanity is low you can join the Sabbat in the UP+ :)!

It sounds to me like he's talking about Anisotropic Filtering. Though it needs clarification if he's talking about ground textures here.

I don't know, I care little about the graphics, although I use SweetFX to get AA. Maybe it can improve texture clearness too?

Then you've been doing it wrong. Not forcing AF is just uninformed at this point, you should always do that in games that don't provide it themselves. It makes a large difference on far ground textures and costs pretty much nothing performance wise. And only AA you can get from SweetFX is cheap post processing shit that leaves a bunch of shimmering unfixed. Any DX8 games and DX9 games pre-deferred lighting should be able to have MSAA at least, I always go for supersampling too which is a not a big deal even for mid end GPUs 2 generations or more back for these games.
I've used MSAA+AF for this game since my very first playthrough on Geforce 4200 Ti 128 MB, I'm scared to think of someone playing with anything less even today.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Then you've been doing it wrong. Not forcing AF is just uninformed at this point, you should always do that in games that don't provide it themselves.

I think we had the discussion here before. The main problem is that forcing AA from the GPU affects the console text too and I really need that a lot for the patch ;)!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What he said. You'll lose next to nothing by having anisotropic in 2018, especially a game as old as that.

Then you've been doing it wrong. Not forcing AF is just uninformed at this point, you should always do that in games that don't provide it themselves.

I think we had the discussion here before. The main problem is that forcing AA from the GPU affects the console text too and I really need that a lot for the patch ;)!

OK, that's a reason not to use AA. But AF is not AA. Have you tried it?
And I would suggest at least trying to use supersampling without MSAA, see if it causes same problem. If not, combined with that cheap shit from sweetfx it would look really nice as well.

Black Angel

Arcane
I only actually used exactly Multidirectional's step of forcing graphical fidelity through my GPU setting. Since I have NVIDIA, I used the Inspector application to do the job. The game looks pretty enough, nearly as good as modded New Vegas or maybe even better since it's not in the shitty Gamebryo engine, and it still runs silky 60 fps smooth most of the time.

and it still runs silky 60 fps smooth most of the time.

Only most of the time? Wow, do you have a really old GPU? I was forcing 2x2 SSAA+4MSAA with perfect 60 since 8800 GTX times I think.. Definitely since GTX 460. Goddamn this fucking game, why am I replaying it so much? It's a crappy unfinished game, right?

Last edited:
OK, that's a reason not to use AA. But AF is not AA. Have you tried it?

I don't know, I'll need to check my NVIDIA settings. Normally I turn AA and AF on in any of the games I play :)!

Get Nvidia Inspector and try forcing 2x2 Supersampling too. ;) By the way which AA did you force when you got that issue with console text? Hope it wasn't FXAA. :) Cause it can definitely do that, now that I think of it.

Black Angel

Arcane
Only most of the time? Wow, do you have a really old GPU?
Like I mentioned somewhere else, I'm playing on an ancient laptop (est since 2012) that also derped 2 (3?) times. The NVIDIA is GeForce GT 640M, and even though it's too shitty for any games starting from 2015, at least it can run most isometric RPGs and that's fine with me

And yeah, VTMB stayed silky smooth only most of the time, the frame rate would drop from time-to-time if there's too many NPCs on the screen but it never drops to the point of annoyance so I'm okay with it. Or maybe it's just me never experiencing 100% silky smooth gaming experience speaking here :negative:

By the way which AA did you force when you got that issue with console text? Hope it wasn't FXAA. :) Cause it can definitely do that, now that I think of it.

Yep, it was FXAA because this is the only AA the normal NVIDIA settings offer...

Nope, it also offers MSAA and Transparency Supersampling in Nvidia Control Panel. FXAA softens the image a little and that's what you were seeing. Go for "16xS - 2x2SSAA +4xMSAA" setting in Nvidia Inspector and see what happens then. Disable sweetfx aa while testing. I assume you are using SMAA with it and it it's liable to produce artifacts when mixing with MSAA. And if you feel like you can't be bothered with Inspector then force MSAA +TrSSAA from control panel at least. Make sure "Antialiasing Mode" is set to "Override" first.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
And if you feel like you can't be bothered with Inspector then force MSAA +TrSSAA from control panel at least.

How do I do that? I see an option for FXAA, but nothing called MSAA unless you mean MFAA which at least is mentioned further down but doesn't seem to do anything on its own...

And if you feel like you can't be bothered with Inspector then force MSAA +TrSSAA from control panel at least.

How do I do that? I see an option for FXAA, but nothing called MSAA unless you mean MFAA which at least is mentioned further down but doesn't seem to do anything on its own...

Antialiasing Mode - Override
Antialiasing Setting - 8x
Antialiasing Transparency - 8x
Don't touch MFAA.

Wesp5

Arcane
Antialiasing Mode - Override
Antialiasing Setting - 8x
Antialiasing Transparency - 8x
Don't touch MFAA.

I have done exactly that, but honestly SweetFX AA looks much better!

P.S.: Looking a the comments to this post I must make something wrong. I use German windows and NVIDIA driver, so maybe I set the wrong parameters? Can someone point me to a screenshot on what to do exactly or similar?

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Black Angel

You guessed the reason as to why sheet looks the way it does. Feats were just an aggregate for gameplay's sake.

vampire_the_masquerade_character_sheet_by_skraunn-db55a4y.jpg
Damn, that looks sexy! Too bad, I'd assume a sequel would probably implement an improved and expanded version of initially implemented cRPG system. A sequel taking place during the days of Gehenna.... dammit :negative:

You will thank me later. Much later.

Black Angel

Arcane
Like, losing Humanity completely or only have 1 left the ending slide will show our character doing real nasty shit to fulfill their bloodthirst, and having 2 or 1 Masquerade point left you'll be hunted down by fellow Kindred, etc etc.

This is already kind of implemented in the normal game. If you break the Masquerade too often the Sheriff will come for you and it's game over. And if your Humanity is low you can join the Sabbat in the UP+ :)!
No, that's not what I mean. What I was talking about is that I was hoping to see some Fallout/Arcanum style ending slides showing what happen after the ending cutscene, telling not just what happened to our character, but also what happens to other characters. For example, based on the conclusion of Sibling Rivalry, Santa Monica joined Camarilla/Anarchist/somewhat bridging the relationship between the two, and either become a fucked up place or where vampire can have a safe haven in the Asylum, or whatever. I know that the last state we left them IS their fate after the ending cutscene, but I personally wanted more closure, on what happened weeks/months/years after the events of Bloodlines

And that's what I was initially hoping when I see the Humanity and Masquerade variables on character screen; I was hoping how much is left after the ending sequence will affect the fate of our character in the ending slides of some sort. But I digress, since I do realize that's not really possible because of the coming of Gehenna.

Wesp5

Arcane
What I was talking about is that I was hoping to see some Fallout/Arcanum style ending slides showing what happen after the ending cutscene, telling not just what happened to our character, but also what happens to other characters.

I know that this is typical for Fallout, but Troika never planned something like this for Bloodlines. Maybe because doing cutscenes in the Source engine is kind of hard, but maybe also because in most cases you can actually go and visit in person before the end!

Big Wrangle

Not to mention that by the old World of Darkness canon they all die after a while because Gehenna is real. :lol:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
So, I played through it as a Tremere. Was fun. Will probably do a Malkavian run with patch+ for the extra content sometime in the future.

Oh, I DIDN'T OPEN IT.

zool

Arcane
Guys whats your take on the quest mod?i dont care if its "profesional" enough or not,mainly im interested if it incorporates itself into the base game.

Made one playthrough with it a couple of years ago and yes, I thought that it incorporated itself well into the base game. I haven't tested all the clan quests though, only the Tremere one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom