Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Lambach

Arcane
Plus, if you're not using any mods, you'll only lose blood when using Disciplines i.e. combat. As a Ventrue, you shouldn't really be getting into combat early game to begin with. In the whole of Santa Monica, there is a grand total of 4 non-optional combat encounters: Gimble, the "Asian Vampire", Blood Guard and the Surfside Diner ambush.

Cael

Arcane
What's really edgy is pretending not to like Bloodlines.

Indeed. And how weird must people be to appear in this thread when someone ask about tips for the game and then recommend to not play it at all! Like do they monitor all threads about games they hate to prevent people to form their own opinion?
Or it was done to show the new guy what a bunch of fanbois the game has and warn him away from the pointy toothed furries.

Or it was done to show the new guy what a bunch of fanbois the game has and warn him away from the pointy toothed furries.

Do you realize that while you're referring to people inside this forum and addressing them as fanboys, you are on the other side of the spectrum? Beside, don't you find it weird?

You could just ignore altogether the topic, but you go in to actually discorauge a guy from playing. If you are honest about your opinion and strongly believe in it, I guess that instead of telling him "don't play it" you should actually give him the tools to play and judge for himself. After all, if you think you aren't wrong about Bloodlines, what's the harm on making other players see and experience the game and why not, share your own idea if it is so bad?

But maybe I'm too optimist..

Cael

Arcane

Do you realize that while you're referring to people inside this forum and addressing them as fanboys, you are on the other side of the spectrum? Beside, don't you find it weird?

You could just ignore altogether the topic, but you go in to actually discorauge a guy from playing. If you are honest about your opinion and strongly believe in it, I guess that instead of telling him "don't play it" you should actually give him the tools to play and judge for himself. After all, if you think you aren't wrong about Bloodlines, what's the harm on making other players see and experience the game and why not, share your own idea if it is so bad?

But maybe I'm too optimist..
There is a difference between a fan of a game and a fanboi (with the deliberate "i"). Let's see if you know the difference.

EDIT: The sad part is, I actually like the setting. I have played the PnP version of it, and have enjoyed it. I find the premise of WoD promising. But the fanbois ruined the whole thing for me. They are worse than LARPers and they are the stereotypical maladjusted basement dwellers that make other roleplayers ashamed of admitting to sharing the hobby with that bunch of degenerates. It is telling that it is a phenomenon that is fairly exclusive to the WoD group, Vampire in particular.

HansDampf

Arcane
possibly_retarded.png

dumbfuck.gif

OnTheEdge.png
:shredder:

Arrowgrab, you'd be a fool not to try this game.

TheWorld

Educated
I'm playing vtm for the first "real" time too lately. I tried it when it came out but was encountering too many heavy bugs and gave up. The game is really great, with good writing, some smart quests, and lots of possibilities for different npcs. The combat and stealth are pretty shitty imo. I'm playing a Toreador (which I read is a great newbie character) and the combat became, at least, easy by investing on firearms and celerity. Otherwise... from my limited experience with the game, persuade, security and hacking seem to be the way to go (better to save some skill points and spend them when you meet something you can't open\hack).

I think it's a game that really needs to be played. Some moments, like the haunted house or the ghouls are top-tier imo.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you like the emo-goth shit, then this is the game for you. Otherwise, use the Del button on the folder.

What exactly is emo-goth shit about this game?
For a game with vampires, it makes a pretty fucking good job at avoiding emo-goth shit. It treats the whole thing tongue-in-cheeck and in fact I'd say it goes beyond avoiding it and actually pushes it into the "cool" territory.

Cael

Arcane
If you like the emo-goth shit, then this is the game for you. Otherwise, use the Del button on the folder.

What exactly is emo-goth shit about this game?
For a game with vampires, it makes a pretty fucking good job at avoiding emo-goth shit. It treats the whole thing tongue-in-cheeck and in fact I'd say it goes beyond avoiding it and actually pushes it into the "cool" territory.
The entire Caitiff beach bum nonsense, complete with girl who ran away and boy pining for her.

Jeanette and her alter ego.

The serial murderer.

That failed actor that Isaac wants to bone.

That Nosferatu ex-actress.

And those are just the ones I care to remember.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Cael , do you have a boner for being proven wrong? I dimly remember you getting humiliated in the D&D thread where everyone shat on you with the utmost efficiency, but I'll admit that every man has a right to find sexual pleasure in the most deviant ways.

About Bloodlines, install Wep5's patch, and consider that here are indeed some mediocre parts particularly in the endgame, when they ran out of time. Get your own opinion, and if you wish report it here.

Aren't those forum for games, after all?

gaussgunner

Arcane
from my limited experience with the game, persuade, security and hacking seem to be the way to go

The skills you can use in dialogue (seduction, persuasion, intimidation, dominate, maybe a few others occasionally) will lead to very different conversations. On replays you can limit yourself to just one of these skills and max it out. Or max them all if you're going for a nonviolent run. Male or female makes a difference too. The overall story is linear, so the plot won't change, but it's different enough to be entertaining if you appreciate the writing & voice acting. That is the highlight of this game (with some exceptions as Cael pointed out).

hello friend

Arcane
People make a big deal about DONT FORGET MELEE BRO in VtmB. Went in blind w/ Ventrue, focused completely on noncombat. Only started dropping the occasional point in combat part way through. Only hard fights were the chinaman in the beginning and the one with the painting. Blood buff is massive, use it often. Presence is gud. 1 point sneak is enough for the entire game except if you're trying to 100% stealth the museum. If you can stun your enemies, feed is an instant kill. Sneak+feed is gud. Brawl makes it easier to feed.

Just play whatever's fun.

Lambach

Arcane
Wait, they're optional? How am I supposed to advance to warehouse quest if they are?

Plus, if you're not using any mods, you'll only lose blood when using Disciplines i.e. combat. As a Ventrue, you shouldn't really be getting into combat early game to begin with. In the whole of Santa Monica, there is a grand total of 4 non-optional combat encounters: Gimble, the "Asian Vampire", Blood Guard and the Surfside Diner ambush.

Lambach

Arcane
People make a big deal about DONT FORGET MELEE BRO in VtmB. Went in blind w/ Ventrue, focused completely on noncombat. Only started dropping the occasional point in combat part way through. Only hard fights were the chinaman in the beginning and the one with the painting. Blood buff is massive, use it often. Presence is gud. 1 point sneak is enough for the entire game except if you're trying to 100% stealth the museum. If you can stun your enemies, feed is an instant kill. Sneak+feed is gud. Brawl makes it easier to feed.

Just play whatever's fun.

With a Ventrue, keeping Fortitude and Presence on during combat makes you nigh-invincible, due to the potent combo of both soaking damage like crazy and turning your enemies into limp-wristed noodles. You don't even need much, 2 points in each should get you through the whole of Downtown (with Kanker and Vick being the only two possible challenges) and 3 points in each can probably carry you through the whole game.

Overall, Bloodlines is piss-easy if you know what you're doing even a little bit.

I really don't know how someone with a working brain can hate VtMB

It was as far as I could fall, it was as low as I could go - way past oblivion to a point only described as negative zero

Black Angel

Arcane
Wait, they're optional? How am I supposed to advance to warehouse quest if they are?

Well, fuck, I failed [Perception][Intelligence][Reading Comprehension] checks. Sorry mate.

Anyway, I've actually finished a playthrough just a week ago. I'll get back to posting an impression when I'm on the mood, because right now, I'm playing Gothic 1 for the first time.

Cael

Arcane
Cael , do you have a boner for being proven wrong? I dimly remember you getting humiliated in the D&D thread where everyone shat on you with the utmost efficiency, but I'll admit that every man has a right to find sexual pleasure in the most deviant ways.

About Bloodlines, install Wep5's patch, and consider that here are indeed some mediocre parts particularly in the endgame, when they ran out of time. Get your own opinion, and if you wish report it here.

Aren't those forum for games, after all?
No. That was the thread that some dorks decided to call Rogue a full caster class. Care to try again, my dear stalker?

You lot illustrates my premise of bad fanboism perfectly where VtM is concerned. It is a setting whose fans are the turn off rather than the setting itself. Which is sad because I actually adapted the WoD system into another game and ran a successful RPG campaign using it. However, I will never to admit to liking VtM because of people like you playing the same game.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

I mean, when you're turned into a vampire by someone harassing you and it gets to the point your entire career goes down the shit and vampire hunters wanna kill you, it's kinda hard not to really.
How over the top he is? Well, him being suicidal because his life went 180 isn't much. Though, his character kinda pokes fun at people thinking they're a big deal. He romanticizes his potentional death to such a narcissistic degree:
"The biographers would eat it up; the studios would sell more copies of my movies; they'd probably put up a statue of me somewhere... 'Die young, live forever.' I'd be one handsome pile of dust."

Delterius

Arcane
It is a setting whose fans are the turn off rather than the setting itself.
Cael's posts in this thread is a rollercoaster of fun.

First people realize he never played the game he was bitching about, less so with the patch he was bitching about.

Then his unsubstantiated opinions on the quality of the game are rightly flagged as retarded.

Now he says the problem isn't even the game, but the people who play it.

And then people think the Codex isn't being swarmed by social justice warriors.

Dayyālu

Arcane
No. That was the thread that some dorks decided to call Rogue a full caster class. Care to try again, my dear stalker?

Rogue? Wait what, have you been mauled in several different D&D threads? FOR DIFFERENT THINGS?

A taste fo' pain, I must say.

Which is sad because I actually adapted the WoD system into another game and ran a successful RPG campaign using it. However, I will never to admit to liking VtM because of people like you playing the same game.

I've never played a RL WoD game, sadly. And I'm not a particular fan of the setting either! Bloodlines is merely a good game. But I'll give you another chance Tell me, comrade, if Bloodlines is a "emo Goth game", what is Redemption?

ANEZKA!

CHRISTOF!

ANEZKA!

Bloodlines' writing has even the problem of taking the piss a tad too often about the setting. Hell, the entire hengeyōkai quest! I am supposed to find that serious? Deb of Night! Compared to

ANEZKA!

CHRISTOF!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom