Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Revelations

Kz3r0

Arcane
Resident Evil Revelations is a RE game released over a year ago on Nintendo 3DS. Action takes place on a ship
Dead Aim uses a third-person view when moving, but switches to a first-person view when aiming and firing a weapon, with a dot in the center of the screen to help the player aim. It is one of the few Resident Evil games that allows the player to move while aiming, and the game also supports the PS2 light gun and USB mouse.
This game begins somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean on board an Umbrella-owned luxury ocean liner, the "Spencer Rain" in September 2002.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Dead_Aim

MapMan

Arcane
Demos are such a rare case these days. I'm surprised they don't call it a 'beta' though :lol:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I picked this game up at the latest Steam sale and beat it over the weekend.

I enjoyed it immensely. It's probably the best RE game since RE: Zero (not counting RE:ORC which is great, but an entirely different style of game).

I've read a lot of comments about how it's more like the classic RE games, and that's sort of true, but don't go in expecting another RE: Make. There's definitely a lot more emphasis on atmosphere and exploration than, say, in RE5, but there are still some traits from the newer games like a lot of running & gunning, rail-shooter sequences, and many action-oriented set pieces. Luckily, the barrage of QTEs that plagued RE6 are much reduced here.

One thing that I think RE:Revelations proves is that you don't need fixed camera angles and crappy controls to make an atmospheric survival horror game. The narrow, branching corridors and obstacle-filled rooms mean that you often can't see very far ahead of you and have to rely on sound to know if there is an enemy lurking nearby (just like in the classic RE titles).

Another thing I really liked is the weapon upgrade system. Basically, you find various weapons parts that allow you to change aspects of your guns. The parts aren't locked in once you add them to a weapon, so you can take them off and add them to a different weapon later. A lot of the parts lets you do basic things like increase damage, reduce reload time, or hold more ammo in a clip. But then there are some more exotic parts that do things like let a gun fire two shots at once or do increased damage as enemies get close. It reminded me a lot of the weapons customization system in the KOTOR games.

The campaign took me about eight hours to beat, and there's a whole Raid Mode that I haven't really delved into yet. I would definitely recommend it to fans of the early RE games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I picked this game up at the latest Steam sale and beat it over the weekend.

I enjoyed it immensely. It's probably the best RE game since RE: Zero (not counting RE:ORC which is great, but an entirely different style of game).

I've read a lot of comments about how it's more like the classic RE games, and that's sort of true, but don't go in expecting another RE: Make. There's definitely a lot more emphasis on atmosphere and exploration than, say, in RE5, but there are still some traits from the newer games like a lot of running & gunning, rail-shooter sequences, and many action-oriented set pieces. Luckily, the barrage of QTEs that plagued RE6 are much reduced here.

One thing that I think RE:Revelations proves is that you don't need fixed camera angles and crappy controls to make an atmospheric survival horror game. The narrow, branching corridors and obstacle-filled rooms mean that you often can't see very far ahead of you and have to rely on sound to know if there is an enemy lurking nearby (just like in the classic RE titles).

Another thing I really liked is the weapon upgrade system. Basically, you find various weapons parts that allow you to change aspects of your guns. The parts aren't locked in once you add them to a weapon, so you can take them off and add them to a different weapon later. A lot of the parts lets you do basic things like increase damage, reduce reload time, or hold more ammo in a clip. But then there are some more exotic parts that do things like let a gun fire two shots at once or do increased damage as enemies get close. It reminded me a lot of the weapons customization system in the KOTOR games.

The campaign took me about eight hours to beat, and there's a whole Raid Mode that I haven't really delved into yet. I would definitely recommend it to fans of the early RE games.
Exactly my thoughts. I enjoyed it more than RE4, the last good RE game.

A horse of course

Finally got round to playing this. Only played an hour or so. Current verdict:

Jill on the ship sections: Pretty good. Seems like there's going to be a fair amount of backtracking/screts. Tiny level size is laughable, though obviously there's not much you can do about that in a 3DS port.
Chris/Jessica snow level: Absolute dogshit

More importantly, however:

That ass + those swaying hips whenever she opens a door or runs
0XaZyTG.png

Tits are too small to match her lower proportions, though. This is a running problem with Resident Evil sluts. It prevents them from hitting waifu league (well that and WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE)

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The parts with Jill are great but the parts with Chris, Parker and Grinder are lame, since they are pure shooting. Luckily, most of the game takes place in the ship with Jill, though the endgame gets very action heavy as well. Revelations 2 improved the gameplay but it has no Jill, except in Raid mode, so :decline:

Also, Revelations 1 gets bonus points because a few parts take place in Finland :incline:

A horse of course

Fuck that chainsaw boss with the infinitely respawning adds :rage:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Use those exploding barrels/whatever and just blast the boss in the face with a shotgun and it goes down really fast.

A horse of course

Yeah I got him, combined with the 5/6 adds you fight at the same time he just drove home how annoying I find the (improved) RE controls. He killed me with an insta-death the first time, I killed him the second time but died to a projectile monster and had to restart, and basically spam sniped him the third time. I realized after I finished that I'd been wasting the exploding barrels becuase I was just using the default melee stun attack without charging it up.

A horse of course

Was the charged melee attack on stunned enemies in RE4? It always seemed to be for the purposes of crowd control in that game.

A horse of course

Defeated the iconic booby ooze boss (for now). It seems like it takes about ten point-blank shotgun blasts to drive her off each time, yet only 3 or 4 sniper rounds. :balance:

I did have the critical multiplier part on the rifle though, so maybe I was hitting her weak spot each time.

P.S. "Waggling" the mouse when you get grabbed almost makes me switch to the controller. I'm going to send something flying by accident one of these days.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think sniper's huge firepower is a deliberate design choice because most of the game takes place in rather cramped spaces. In Revelations 2 snipers aren't as damaging but levels are bigger and there are more outdoor areas.

A horse of course

OK, finished Revelations, and whilst it was one of the better NUSHIT Resident Evils, it also annoyed me seeing such an absolutely tragic series of missed opportunities. They could have made an excellent low-key "Ghost Ship" adventure with limited resources, lots of player-driven exploration, casual puzzles and backtracking. You see a lot of hints of this in the early parts of the game, with secrets that require special keycards or crests, the optional Solarium area, and in ideas like the swimming sections, which could've been properly integrated into a more open world design rather than limited to scripted sequences.

But of course they went the typical Resident Evil route, which means throwing out all sense of pacing, tension and subtlety in favour of linear Call of Doody shooting galleries, mounted guns, HEART-POUNDING ESCAPE SEQUENCES!!11 and giant monsters with convenient rocket launchers. They even shove your score in your face at the end of every single level, just to drive home that you're not playing a survival horror but rather Raid Mode/Monster Rush with cutscenes and a story. The constant leaping between different characters, locations and even dates also diluted the focus of the story (the entire game should've taken place on the Queen Zenobia, or perhaps done a better job with the TWEEST that occurs when Chris and Jessica arrive) and it seemed like Jill/Chris were forced into the game for no particular reason. Don't get me wrong, Jill is my waifu for sure, but neither of these characters went through any sort of character development or had any personal connection to the events that take place (as opposed to Parker, Raymond, Jessica et al), so I'm assuming they exist purely for marketing purposes.

Crapcom are true masters of taking good ideas and then fucking them up the ass with a stag horn.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Concurring with most of Ed123's final thoughts. I thought it was okay, but not nearly as good as the likes of RE4 or Dead Space 1 and 2, and if this is the best RE game since 4 then wow the others must be quite bad.

The funniest bad parts: when I went through a lot of effort to swim to a guy who then told me that I had to swim all the way back to where I just came from to unlock a door he had the key to. Why didn't you swim to me, you jerk? Additionally that flashback level near the end that takes place immediately prior to one of the previous flashback levels where you have to fight your way to where that level starts (where your character then has to chronologically fight his way through the level again).

They were really straining against the budget/hardware limitations with this one, I imagine/hope it's not as bad in RE:R2 which I'll get around to eventually.

Tits are too small to match her lower proportions, though. This is a running problem with Resident Evil sluts. It prevents them from hitting waifu league

Rachel was beyond ridiculous, especially with her lack of bra (understandable given the wetsuit) and suit zipped down past her navel (why...? well I know the out-of-game answer).

A horse of course

Finished the Gun Survivor series. Now it's back to Resident Evil: Gaiden and I'll have to think about how to handle the Outbreaks and Mercenaries games *scratches head*

Rachel was beyond ridiculous, especially with her lack of bra (understandable given the wetsuit) and suit zipped down past her navel (why...? well I know the out-of-game answer).

How is she supposed to zip her wetsuit up over her chest? Observe that the only women in the game with closed wetsuits are Lady HUNK and Jessica, who have the smallest busts of the female characters. Moreover, one might argue that Rachel's character is associated with the theme of exposure - she is sent to the ship - ostensibly - to uncover something (the titular Revelation) but is actually being used as part of an attempt to conceal that same information. If you consider this concept art:
CVTWlOb.jpg

You'll note that both Richard (who originally played Rachel's role) and the prototype Rachel are being depicted as subsumed by the T-Abyss "Ooze" archetype - the virus' visual profile represents both exposure (the outwardly extravagant signs of infection) and concealment (in both cases the character's vision is being restricted on one side of their face, and Richard almost appears to be "sinking" into an Ooze body - emphasized by the fact one of his mutations looks like an anchor). I can only assume that Capcom felt this early version of Rachel, with the FBC patch being approximated with the duality of the T-Abyss virus, would reveal the FBC's role in the story far too early. Note that in Rachel's latter incarnation:
TULDtCg.jpg

they obviously wanted to communicate these themes in a far more subtle manner, eschewing the bright red arm-patch and focusing instead on the image of Rachel as a traditional Sea Siren (similar to the female enemies in the ship's bowels) hiding a giant vagina sea cucumber that sucks you off.

However, the real reason is actually even more specific than you suspect:

The shot of thick white slime dripping from the vent, with her exposed chest in the background, would lose much of its impact if Rachel was zipped up. As would the subsequent shot of the Ooze exploding from the same vent and blasting her face and breasts with goo.

Last edited by a moderator:

spekkio

Arcane
Sheva's breasts are slightly smaller than Jill's. She is not muscley because the developers wanted her to look sexy.

(...) Excella was put in charge, her character was changed to a more elegant celebrity type, and again the developers worked hard to ensure her breasts were always on show in the cutscenes.
:salute:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Finished the Gun Survivor series. Now it's back to Resident Evil: Gaiden and I'll have to think about how to handle the Outbreaks and Mercenaries games *scratches head*
Outbreak was passable, even interesting, when its online services were up. Couple of neat levels with a few neat enemies, and a bunch of little side-objectives and unlockable characters to boot. Now that the online services are shut down, and all you have to rely upon the AI companions instead...well, you know how people bitch about how utterly useless and braindead the companion AI in RE0 is? Now imagine that except you have to deal with three of them at the same time, and you can't just order them to stay put in an empty area while you do all the hard work.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I imagine/hope it's not as bad in RE:R2 which I'll get around to eventually.

REV2 has more fluent gameplay, better controls, more consistent areas and overall better structure. In every episode, you play the first part with Claire/Moira and the second part with Barry/Natalia, instead of arbitrarily jumping between locations and characters all the time. It also adds a few cool new mechanics like crafting, skill trees and fast and dynamic character switching. There are less full action moments than in REV 1 and the areas are generally larger.

It has worse characters, though.

spekkio

Arcane
REV2 has more fluent gameplay, better controls, more consistent areas and overall better structure. In every episode, you play the first part with Claire/Moira and the second part with Barry/Natalia, instead of arbitrarily jumping between locations and characters all the time. It also adds a few cool new mechanics like crafting, skill trees and fast and dynamic character switching. There are less full action moments than in REV 1 and the areas are generally larger.
:bro:

It has worse characters, though.
You mean waifus had smaller / no tits or what?

:?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom