Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Resident Evil Revelations 2 - OUT NOW!

bonescraper

Ep3 has puzzles, easy ones mostly, but the optional one in the graveyard/crypt was p. good. I actually missed it on my first playtrhough. This one required some actual thinking. The one with 4 doors was also good. Since you have to be pretty quick with your choice, i just chose them randomly. Surprisingly, all four killed me :lol: This forced me to look for a more thoughtful solution.

Resident Evil games never had non-linear areas, those games are all about doing things in order in a linear fashion. But there's some optional exploration in episode 3, if you want to get all weapons/collectibles/weapon parts.

The atmosphere is good, but that's my personal opinion. I'm really tired of Dawn of the Dead clones, this game still has zombies, but the Russian mining island is a cool place to explore.

And yeah, the story is p. good so far, for a RE game. It's still Resident Evil, so it's about lulzy viral experimentation and Weskers, but i like Moira's/Barry's backstory, it's done surprisingly well and is quite believable. Moira is your typical angry teen, but unlike Bioware's emo characters, she has a good reason to be the way she is.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
RE1 had easy puzzles, and very linear play. Yeah not as linear as most recent RE titles, but still.

People have rose-tinted glasses, when remembering how "hard" RE + RE 2 puzzles were... The games were piss easy and lot of zombie shooting too..

Still, they are the pinnacle of survival horror today.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Dude I just played for the first time the RE remake and while not very hard, the puzzles where good. And yes while not really non-linear, the fact that it offered you one big mansion to run around, do a lot of things in what order you wanted and not just run on some railroaded corridor, gives it more points. I'm playing zero now and the puzzles seem pretty easy compared to RE1, but at least you have the partner mechanic. And no,the first RE game is not the pinnacle of survival horror. But anyway let's get back to RE:R2, I was asking what exactly makes it very good, thankfully bonescraper managed to provide some useful info.

baturinsky

Arcane
I have lags in the beginnings on certain raid maps. Such as 1-6 (above firearms shop) and 2-1 (first guard mission, in snow). But after about half a minute lags disappear. I suppose there is some buffering happening.

spekkio

Arcane
Constant 60 fps on my PC:

digital-storm-2.jpg
:(

Machocruz

Arcane
Yes. on PS4 at least. I watched CarcinogenSDA play some while I ate last night. It looks like the level design is getting better by the episode, but I wasn't completely focused so I can't go into specific why that is, aside from having some more box-like design (i.e. like Spencer mansion ).

All told, this is looking like the best RE title in years if you don't mind the RE4 paradigm, which is now older than RE1 was when RE4 came out. I bought Ep 1 only for Raid, but now I want the whole thing.

spekkio

Arcane
Confirming much better performance after today's patch (2.1).
Using a mod to disable the "grain" filter is a good idea as well.

Filter on:

29B7BUX.jpg

Filter off:

eKCXqlS.jpg

The whole misogyny is much clearer this way:

nTQRGBR.jpg

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Man, hunters with speed buffs are fuckin crazy. I was in a solid groove, steam rollin mofos like nobody's business, and then here the little bastards come like a wild pack of cracked out spider monkeys and start tearing into me like a Jill sandwich. If I didn't have Magic Pixel equipped I woulda been toast there. I love it when this game goes nuts with it's buffed enemies.

baturinsky

Arcane
Tripleshot with autoaim owns this map.
And shotguns own Hunters. One shot drops a group of them on their knees or backs.

bonescraper

Katana owns everything. Raid mode is a huuuuuuge disappointment. It's piss easy and totally unbalanced. Melee builds destroy p. much everything. Also, there is no endgame. The omega level is just a simple boss battle.

Thakfully, the campaign was p. good.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Midway through the 3rd act. Really enjoying this so far. Liking how they actually tried to make Barry and Claire's sections play much differently from one another beyond them just getting different weapons.

Also wondering: do those little sub-episodes unlock immediately upon starting the game, or do they only come after you complete act 1? Because I started playing Moira's one and quickly stopped when I realized this clearly takes place at a much later point in the main game and could thus spoil alot of shit for me.

Also tried raid mode, and I've got to agree that it's pretty underwhelming. Daily missions are piss-easy and reward you with ridiculously large amounts of XP, and the game hands you out really fucking overpowered guns far too readily.

baturinsky

Arcane
Katana owns everything. Raid mode is a huuuuuuge disappointment. It's piss easy and totally unbalanced. Melee builds destroy p. much everything. Also, there is no endgame. The omega level is just a simple boss battle.
Melee works poorly with elemental and poison enemies, and there are tons of them on later levels. Also, you can't put on-kill bonus on katana.

spekkio

Arcane
Currently in EP3 and I think it's the best RE game since RE2. Tried Raid mode only 1-2 times, but it feels inferior to RER1 indeed. Highly recommended game anyway.

:obviously:

Ivan

Arcane
Acquired Rev1 and it's already better than Code Veronica. Hopefully it opens up soon.

Ebonsword

Arcane
So, bros, now that all episodes are out, I finally picked this up over the weekend.

Sad to say, though, I'm not really enjoying it that much so far.

I've completed Claire's first level and just started Barry's.

Atmosphere is okay, although the soundtrack is kind of unremarkable. The monsters aren't doing much for me--I thought that the ooze in the first Revelations game were more alien and creepy. All I've seen in the new one so far are generic BDSM dudes and some bugs.

And that big fight at the end of Claire's level was annoying. I think the endlessly respawning enemies were supposed to add tension, but it just got on my nerves since you have to use Moira to open the door, and you can't control Claire at the same time, so it seems like she's always getting swarmed and killed.

Oh, and fuck the stupid box-opening mini-game. The Resident Evil series never needed that shit before, so I don't see why we need it now.

spekkio

Arcane
And that big fight at the end of Claire's level was annoying. I think the endlessly respawning enemies were supposed to add tension, but it just got on my nerves since you have to use Moira to open the door, and you can't control Claire at the same time, so it seems like she's always getting swarmed and killed.
Git gud, scrub. :roll:

Use the flame-throwing contraption to block off enemies

Ebonsword

Arcane
Use the flame-throwing contraption to block off enemies

I saw some reference to a flamethrowing trap in one of the documents I found, but I didn't see any indication how to use it. Is that what the big thing in the center of the room is? I was too busy dodging monsters to experiment much in that room.

Although, I guess that explains why I got some kind of "No Flames Needed" achievement at the end of the level...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom