Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Resident Evil Revelations 2 - OUT NOW!

spekkio

Arcane
^
Thanks for totally not answering my qestion. At least Echo Mirage did.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think this is where you get into the problems with genre definitions and people taking the terms literally. (role playing game means a game where you play a role, therefore Halo is an RPG because you play the "role" of Master Chief) I suppose a true "survival" horror game would be something like Robinson's Requiem, where you need to eat, sleep, treat wounds properly, set broken bones, etc.

Capcom keeps promising to return to the roots of the series, but they haven't really delivered apart from porting the REmake to modern consoles and PC. I'd be thrilled if they gave RE2 the same treatment, or better yet, made an entirely new game with the same design principles. (although Capcom probably isn't capable of doing that even if they wanted to)

bonescraper

I've heard series dropped survival horror for tpp shooting, true?.
True. But survival horror is a wrong term. Adventure game with guns would be the correct one.

What's survival horror then?
Capcom's marketing buzzword.

But if you insist on using this term, i dunno... Amnesia maybe? Alien: Isolation? Those games are more about horror and survivial than any RE game ever was.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Resident Evil 1-2-3 on hard mode is survival horror. You barely have any ammo, and zombies take a lot of hits to kill. The game is about survival if you play it on hard.

baturinsky

Arcane
Speaking of survival/not survival.
If you look at the game's plot, first three games were about survival, getting alive out of the dangerous situation you were forced into.
In subsequental games you are purposefully running from safety into the zombie-infested area to kick ass and take names.

Last edited:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
haven't played anything past RE4. is raid mode a new name for mercenaries?

No. Its a new mode. Unlike mercenaries which was one level with the aim to setting a high score. Raid mode is as it sounds. Much longer and more varied missions with an even increasing difficulty with the aim of gaining XP to level and unlock new weapons. As well as gaining battlepoints to buy upgrades, ammo, abilities.

Some of these missions can be very long as well. I have seen Youtube videos run upward of 40 minutes per raid.

baturinsky

Arcane

No. Its a new mode. Unlike mercenaries which was one level with the aim to setting a high score. Raid mode is as it sounds. Much longer and more varied missions with an even increasing difficulty with the aim of gaining XP to level and unlock new weapons. As well as gaining battlepoints to buy upgrades, ammo, abilities.

Some of these missions can be very long as well. I have seen Youtube videos run upward of 40 minutes per raid.

Can you link to that 40 minutes raid? Never seen something like that. Is it daily event raid?

Rev2 Raid levels are actually smaller than RE6 Merc levels. Some Raid levels are copied from RE6 Merc levels and chopped by about half.

Rev1 are longer, though, but I can't say that they are bigger than Rev6 (or 5 or 4) Merc levels.

Main difference between Merc and Raid is that combo and time limit are removed (some levels has time limit, but it's very generous), and a RPG system added with weapon customization, level ups, skills etc.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Can you link to that 40 minutes raid? Never seen something like that. Is it daily event raid?
Nothing that long so far, but in RE:R1 you have a bonus endgame level called "The Ghost Ship". It's basically the whole Revelations ghost ship from start to finish with no ammo crates. It's hardcore, requires max level (50 in Rev1) and some really uber weapons and parts, but some people can do it without breaking a sweat.

This guy has mad skillz, obviously.

RE:R2 also seems to have an endgame level.

F33D758251B721BCC34D6A8AA8A7A5C4165D008C

Rev2 Raid levels are actually smaller than RE6 Merc levels. Some Raid levels are copied from RE6 Merc levels and chopped by about half.
Most Rev1 Raid levels were ~10 mins long just like in Rev2, but there were longer ones too (about 2-3 that could take 20+ mins). Not counting the endgame level ofc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Echo Mirage

Arcane

Main difference is combo and time limit are removed (some levels has time limit, but it's very generous), and a RPG system added with weapon customization, level ups, skills etc.

This guy has loads of Mercs/raid missions for Resident evil. He was the high score setter for 5-6. He is also one of the main modders for the series and has a working co op mod for rev 2.

Here is one of the 40 plus videos for Revelations 1.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
What weapons do you people use in Raid?

This is my boomstick
0riShgf.jpg

Destroys nearly everything I can safely get close too and heal me in the process.

For everything else (Revenants, elemental mobs, etc) I use Steady Shot AK, and it does the job, though I can't say I'm happy with it.

bonescraper

For a long time i used a double barrel-shotgun [short range] with force ammo and last shot. Since double-barrel shotguns usually can hold only 2 shells, every second shot had an uber punch (last shot added +70% damage). Killer weapon.

Raid mode is getting quite hard around level 38. That chinese market mission on hard, sweet jebus.

bonescraper

6 new gauntlets, toolbox upgrade and probably some new characters/skins.

bonescraper

Best weapon?

And that's just skill level 2 out of 10, so it doesn't do much damage ATM.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've heard series dropped survival horror for tpp shooting, true?.
True. But survival horror is a wrong term. Adventure game with guns would be the correct one.

So, are you telling that a game about trying to escape from a mansion/city/island/ full of zombies and terrifying creatures in a dark atmosphere with the help of the limited bullets and items that you must find through the scenario does not fits perfectly with the term "Survival horror"? C'mon dude!

Most video games are adventures. Super mario is an adventure with jumps, Fallout is an adventure with choices, P.Layton is an adventure with puzzles. That does not mean that each game has not his own genre.

-------------

Leaving this shit talk apart, i gave a shot to the game some days ago. I liked it, it still being a popamole Resident evil but at least it have an interesting assault mode (As the first revelations, i liked it too) and the campaign has an interesting staging. One thing i liked a lot regarding RE6 is that readable archives through the scenario have returned.

Last edited:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the 3rd episode is out and it is strange how good this game is. I wish it was not Episodic, but dam a good resident evil game what are the odds.
The last revelations was okay and interesting and not shit, but it was not great. This is.... how strange.

Whats next Square Enix making a good Final Fantasy??

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So the 3rd episode is out and it is strange how good this game is. I wish it was not Episodic, but dam a good resident evil game what are the odds.
The last revelations was okay and interesting and not shit, but it was not great. This is.... how strange.
So what is good about it? Does it have many intelligent puzzles, non linear areas, good atmosphere and not entirely retarded story(This is RE we're talking about)? Because all I've seen from all the newer REs is zombie shooting that doesn't interest me one bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom