Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

About time. Now how about my SH 1-2 remake.
:australia:

Absolutely bloody disgusting

I understand the reaction, but those games are prime for a graphical and interface overhaul. The PC controls are abysmal and they don't even let you plug in a controller (not that I own one, but I'd get a controller if it let me avoid that awful control scheme. They don't even let you rebind the keys FFS.

The worry would be that they'd screw with the gameplay, or that they'd fail to recreate the visual design in modern graphics. In particular, the fog was something those games got right almost by accident - it was quite literally a design concession for the PS2's memory limitations, and it might be too tempting for a remake to avoid removing it. Then again, it's so iconic of those games that a HD remake, as opposed to a reboot, might choose not to mess with it.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

A horse of course

I understand the reaction, but those games are prime for a graphical and interface overhaul. The PC controls are abysmal and they don't even let you plug in a controller (not that I own one, but I'd get a controller if it let me avoid that awful control scheme. They don't even let you rebind the keys FFS.

The worry would be that they'd screw with the gameplay, or that they'd fail to recreate the visual design in modern graphics. In particular, the fog was something those games got right almost by accident - it was quite literally a design concession for the PS2's memory limitations, and it might be too tempting for a remake to avoid removing it. Then again, it's so iconic of those games that a HD remake, as opposed to a reboot, might choose not to mess with it.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Brother Nagger may have been referring to the awful SH2/3 remasters for the xbox360/ps3, which were actually significantly worse than the originals.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm just of the opinion that there is absolutely nothing wrong enough with the first three games to warrant a full-on remake. Even a graphics update is pushing it for me. A polished port with different resolutions and added controller support, maybe a little tweaking with SH2 to try and make the translucent textures look better, I have no problem with, but that's just an updated re-release.

And yes, Konami's modern treatment of Silent Hill under Tom Hullett convinces me that they don't understand shit about what made the original three work and thus makes me trust them even less with a remake. Even PT just shows that all they're doing is throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks.

A horse of course

And modders are working on the most important addition to the game: restoring the original 1996 voice acting :incline:

A horse of course

The funny thing is, they kept the "are you with anybody Jill?" line in the REmake script iirc :lol:

The worry would be that they'd screw with the gameplay, or that they'd fail to recreate the visual design in modern graphics. In particular, the fog was something those games got right almost by accident - it was quite literally a design concession for the PS2's memory limitations, and it might be too tempting for a remake to avoid removing it. Then again, it's so iconic of those games that a HD remake, as opposed to a reboot, might choose not to mess with it.
[/QUOTE]

Brother Nagger may have been referring to the awful SH2/3 remasters for the xbox360/ps3, which were actually significantly worse than the originals.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I considered slogging through the remakes, then wiped the mud off my boots and decided to wait on precisely nothing, since the core design team is gone. :/

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

What on earth are you talking about ? SH1 is a PSX game and when played on PC is of course emulated and obviously you can use a controller with the emulator. SH2 on the other hand definitely supports a controller, since that's how I've always played it *and* played it a couple of months ago. Actually SH2 still has excellent graphics, especially on PC, and its only problem was that it didn't support Widescreen and higher resolutions than 1280x1024, but that now can be fixed with a patch. So basically SH2 for PC is fucking perfect in every way and the controls are damn fine.

SH1, on the other hand, could use a graphical upgrade... BUT since IMHO it's the best survival horror ever made due to its unparalleled atmosphere, I'm not sure I'd want some ignorant fuckers to mess with it. As for the SH1 controls, frankly they're even better than the RE-HD remake (which I'm currently playing) since you can pan the camera to the general direction you're facing and you can move while you aim and shoot/hit, unlike RE. The new graphics of the RE are nice but the fact that the camera angle changes completely each 3 steps you take, can be pretty annoying and movement can be a clusterfuck even with the new control scheme.

Now that I think about it, you may be dismissing SH1 completely and thinking that the 2 SH games are SH2 & 3, which is a damn shame, since SH is the best of them and frankly SH3 is just mediocre.

NOW a question about the Resident Evil Remake.

I can't seem to find a way to open the doors with the armor and helmet signs. I found a "fake" key inside the dog's collar, what am I supposed to do with it ? I'm kinda stuck.

A horse of course

What on earth are you talking about ? SH1 is a PSX game and when played on PC is of course emulated and obviously you can use a controller with the emulator. SH2 on the other hand definitely supports a controller, since that's how I've always played it *and* played it a couple of months ago. Actually SH2 still has excellent graphics, especially on PC, and its only problem was that it didn't support Widescreen and higher resolutions than 1280x1024, but that now can be fixed with a patch. So basically SH2 for PC is fucking perfect in every way and the controls are damn fine.

SH1, on the other hand, could use a graphical upgrade... BUT since IMHO it's the best survival horror ever made due to its unparalleled atmosphere, I'm not sure I'd want some ignorant fuckers to mess with it. As for the SH1 controls, frankly they're even better than the RE-HD remake (which I'm currently playing) since you can pan the camera to the general direction you're facing and you can move while you aim and shoot/hit, unlike RE. The new graphics of the RE are nice but the fact that the camera angle changes completely each 3 steps you take, can be pretty annoying and movement can be a clusterfuck even with the new control scheme.

Now that I think about it, you may be dismissing SH1 completely and thinking that the 2 SH games are SH2 & 3, which is a damn shame, since SH is the best of them and frankly SH3 is just mediocre.

I can't seem to find a way to open the doors with the armor and helmet signs. I found a "fake" key inside the dog's collar, what am I supposed to do with it ? I'm kinda stuck.

There's a room with the "real" key that locks you in and has a spiky statue move in and kill you if you don't put the key back. You have to put the fake key in its place, though iirc you have to combine the fake key with something to harden it or something.

Deleted member 7219

Go to the top most level on the left side of the mansion and you'll find a place where you can trade the fake key.

You won't find the helmet key until much later.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There's a room with the "real" key that locks you in and has a spiky statue move in and kill you if you don't put the key back. You have to put the fake key in its place, though iirc you have to combine the fake key with something to harden it or something.

What? You don't have to do any hardening. I've just put the key where the genuine one was and the trap stopped.

A horse of course

What? You don't have to do any hardening. I've just put the key where the genuine one was and the trap stopped.

yeh I was thinking of a different puzzle with a key mold

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks! I should have thought that solution with the key.

ghostdog said:
So basically SH2 for PC is fucking perfect in every way and the controls are damn fine.
Really? 'Cuz I remember having serious problems with it:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-412#post-3322876
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-413#post-3326361

lqL6hjc.jpg

uiOpnJT.jpg

OFPrDsu.jpg

ngykbdh.jpg

lHdhTzV.jpg

gcbmgl6.jpg

mzNJgfA.jpg

3bLrfyc.jpg

4hsiHXp.jpg

iIboWNW.jpg

9I2MGSh.jpg

Patches and shit : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41496577&postcount=2

If the autopatch for the widescreen doesn't work :
Here are the complete steps I used as the squ1zzy auto-hack didn't work for me, either (the offset is actually 4a146e). It's a complete step-by-step for noobs.

1. Buy a copy of "Silent Hill 2: Directors Cut" or find your current 3 CD copy. Install it FULLY - including the 2 GB in movies.

2. Google "Silent Hill 2: Directors Cut v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE" and download it.

3. Rename the "sh2pc.exe" in your "C:\Program Files\Konami\Silent Hill 2" (default install). Unzip the "sh2pc.exe" from Step 2 into this directory.

4. Download XVI (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm). Just follow the links to "Download". There's no install, just unzip it to a folder somewhere (ex - create C:\Program Files\XVI32 and unzip it there.

5. Run "xvi32.exe". Go to "File" then "Open..." and find the "sh2pc.exe" from Step 3 and open it. Next, go to "Search" then "Find..." and make sure that "Hex String" is selected. Physically type in (DO NOT COPY AND PASTE) 80020000E001 so that it looks like "80 02 00 00 E0 01" when done. Hit "OK".

6a. Find your monitor's widescreen dimensions, for example 1920x1200. Bring up Window's Calculator in the Accessories folder. Make sure "View" is set to "Scientific". Click the "Dec" button under the box. Type in the first number of your monitor resolution, for example 1920. Click the "Hex" button and note the number, for example 780. Make it four digits by putting zeros in front, for example 0780. Now switch the first two numbers with the last two numbers and put a space between them, for example 80 07. Write this down as FIRST - 80 07.

6b. Find your monitor's widescreen dimensions, for example 1920x1200. Bring up Window's Calculator in the Accessories folder. Make sure "View" is set to "Scientific". Click the "Dec" button under the box. Type in the second number of your monitor resolution, for example 1200. Click the "Hex" button and note the number, for example 4b0. Make it four digits by putting zeros in front, for example 04b0. Now switch the first two numbers with the last two numbers and put a space between them, for example b0 04. Write this down as SECOND - b0 04.

7. In the Hex Editor program XVI32 (should still be right after the search for "80 02 00 00 E0 01" - if not repeat Step 5), replace "80 02" with FIRST numbers, for example "80 07". Just click on the numbers to be changed and type them in with the keyboard. Next, replace "E0 01" with SECOND numbers, for example "b0 04". Just click on the numbers to be changed and type them in with the keyboard.

8. In the Hex Editor, go to "File" and "Save". Congratulations, you are done here.

9. When running the game, under Advanced Options, set the resolution to "640x480" and it will run at 1920x1200 in this example. Please set any other options desired - turn on all the cool flashy visuals. This is a permanent change, so going into the Options menu doesn't undo the change - as long as the resolution is showing 640x480 in the menu.

10. What are you waiting for? Play the game already! These steps are meant to help legit owners of the game play it in full widescreen glory.

Value******Hexadecimal Value******Formatted Value
---------------------------------------------------------------
200*******00C8*****************C800
240*******00F0*****************F000
320*******0140*****************4001
480*******01E0*****************E001
525*******020D*****************0D02
540*******021C*****************1C02
576*******0240*****************4002
600*******0258*****************5802
640*******0280*****************8002
704*******02C0*****************C002
720*******02D0*****************D002
768*******0300*****************0003
800*******0320*****************2003
840*******0348*****************4803
848*******0350*****************5003
854*******0356*****************5603
900*******0384*****************8403
960*******03C0*****************C003
992*******03E0*****************E003
1000******03E8*****************E803
1024******0400*****************0004
1050******041A*****************1A04
1080******0438*****************3804
1152******0480*****************8004
1200******04B0*****************B004
1280******0500*****************0005
1360******0550*****************5005
1366******0556*****************5605
1368******0558*****************5805
1440******05A0*****************A005
1536******0600*****************0006
1600******0640*****************4006
1680******0690*****************9006
1768******06E8*****************E806
1776******06F0*****************F006
1800******0708*****************0807
1920******0780*****************8007
2048******0800*****************0008
2400******0960*****************6009
2560******0A00*****************000A
2720******0AA0*****************A00A
2880******0B40*****************400B
3072******0C00*****************000C
3200******0C80*****************800C
3360******0D20*****************200D
3840******0F00*****************000F
4080******0FF0*****************F00F
4320******0010E0***************E010
5040******0013B0***************B013
SH2 ENB SMAA : http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366

Last edited:
Wow thanks, I didn't know about that "all in one" SH2 fix yet, I've been itching real bad to replay it, have to try it now.

A horse of course

I don't think I could play SH2 again. It was a one-time journey that I'd prefer to cherish as an unsullied memory :updatedmytxt:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The thing with Silent Hill games is that indeed they are more about the Journey than the destination and that's why they have good replay value. So many things about them are symbolic, vague and purposefully obscure, and atmosphere plays such a big role, that I have enjoyed many playthroughs of both SH1 and 2 and each time I get to find some new tidbits of lore and interpret some stuff differently. Not to mention the various endings that can be obtained only in re-plays.

A horse of course

The thing with Silent Hill games is that indeed they are more about the Journey than the destination and that's why they have good replay value. So many things about them are symbolic, vague and purposefully obscure, and atmosphere plays such a big role, that I have enjoyed many playthroughs of both SH1 and 2 and each time I get to find some new tidbits of lore and interpret some stuff differently. Not to mention the various endings that can be obtained only in re-plays.

The problem with your metaphor is that "the journey" in the Silent Hill gnomes is dominated by the writing, scripted sequences and atmosphere, which are exactly the same each time. The SHs were good survival horrors in an era where Resident Evil was already speeding headfirst into the action/shooter genre, but as with almost every survival horror game, the gameplay itself was not strong enough to carry the game through multiple playthroughs. Despite their preoccupation with multiple endings and replays, SurvHor in general has limited replay value once you know what's going to happen next. The feeling of escaping a particularly disturbing event and entering a new subarea with no idea what awaits you is something that can't be recaptured.

:negative:

spekkio

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Thing is, I had problems even with installing the damn game (Win7 X64). But this new rendering engine looks interesting, will test for sure.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I finished it. Pretty good actually. I had dropped the old PC version years back disgusted by the crappy controls and abysmal story/dialog/VO. It's still pretty campy but in a fun way. The Enrico scene is hilarious. Some nice puzzles. If it was not for the artificial time-wasting mechanics with the containers that force you to run back there all the time to get some item it would be even better. Is there any point in replaying the game with Chris ?

What about the rest of the series. Are RE2&3 going to be a shellshock ? how about Zero, is it any good ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom