Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

agris

Arcane
Patron
Never forget.

19690-resident-evil-windows-screenshot-albert-wesker-from-intro-movie.jpg

Duke Nukem is playing a bad guy.

:lol:
so glad that you posted that immediately afterwards. my first thought was "oh fuck, duke!"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Eurogamer saying this morning "it has gameplay! Not sure modern gamers will like it" is pretty fucking hilarious. I mean, they didn't mean it that way, but that's how it reads anyway.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Eurogamer saying this morning "it has gameplay! Not sure modern gamers will like it" is pretty fucking hilarious. I mean, they didn't mean it that way, but that's how it reads anyway.
They act like if REmake is the epitome of complexity.

A horse of course

Heads up that this runs like absolute trash on my laptop (880M, i74800MQ) whilst other users with worse specs (including lappies) are reporting solid 60fps with no issues. The frame rate seems to be <0.5fps with the audio both in-game and in cgi pre-rendered cutscenes totally out of sync.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's funny how no single review mentions whether they kept the campy live-action cutscenes or replaced ALL of them with CGI.

bonescraper

Why would they? Of course the live-action cutscenes are gone. It's a port of the gamecube remake ffs.

Karellen

Arcane
I feel a bit bad for not liking the REmake more than I do, because they clearly tried very hard to emulate all the key ingredients that made the original game so good, and for the most part, when they were confining their efforts to that, they actually did a pretty good job. Also, it's undeniably very pretty, and I appreciate how they kept a lot of the original soundtrack.

Even so, it's more or less like what MRY said in this post - the original Resident Evil might've been goofy 90s B-movie schlock, but it was honestly, seriously made, internally consistent 90s B-movie schlock, in which the goofy things like the voice acting were actually mostly unintentional. Meanwhile, just about everything that was added to REMake is weird pseudo-gothic nonsense that fits very poorly with the mood of the game. The result is that it feels like the game is saying, "sure it's dumb, but it doesn't matter because the original game was nonsense too, LOL!" It's the line of thought that resulted in Resident Evil 4 becoming (highly enjoyable) self-parody; but the old Resident Evils are slower-paced, deliberate and moodier games, and here it just makes you feel dumb for even trying to buy into the mood.

Besides, they messed with the weapon balance and economy, which should be a crime punishable by flogging.

:deadhorse:

Still, even if it's not a bulleye, the REmake is for the most part a reasonably good game. So I'm probably going to buy it again, since having a re-release in HD is very nice, if only for the opportunity it presents to introduce other people to the brilliance of the old Resident Evil games.

MapMan

Arcane
Is this any different than the remake from GameCube? Because we could play the gamecube emulator with additionall bells and whistles like AA for years now.

Deleted member 7219

Game looks gorgeous, plays smooth, they've put new 'alternate' controls in there now in addition to the tank controls that you can still switch to, but I've tried the new controls and they are excellent. No problems so far.

So I guess the new features are the better controls (well, a lot of people still like the tank controls but I definitely didn't), and a new 'very easy' difficulty. And they did a lot of work on the textures to bring them up to 1080p. I think it looks amazing to be honest. I have the Wii version but have no reason to ever go back to it.

bonescraper

Is this any different than the remake from GameCube? Because we could play the gamecube emulator with additionall bells and whistles like AA for years now.
Improved controls, remade character models, cleaner graphics, widescreen support, two new skins. That's about it if you don't care about cheevos and Steam cards.

59F84B95CD1389FCCD2CDA4084C9468A6A46252C

111601662C0383A886392142D259433A4BF5A39F

D9B6683624D63A91C31D5B7D19264461CB1C5A81

DD697044BFB46447D5E05948C8A3E40B2DEEBF8A

Last edited by a moderator:

Tehdagah

Arcane
I feel a bit bad for not liking the REmake more than I do, because they clearly tried very hard to emulate all the key ingredients that made the original game so good, and for the most part, when they were confining their efforts to that, they actually did a pretty good job. Also, it's undeniably very pretty, and I appreciate how they kept a lot of the original soundtrack.

Even so, it's more or less like what MRY said in this post - the original Resident Evil might've been goofy 90s B-movie schlock, but it was honestly, seriously made, internally consistent 90s B-movie schlock, in which the goofy things like the voice acting were actually mostly unintentional. Meanwhile, just about everything that was added to REMake is weird pseudo-gothic nonsense that fits very poorly with the mood of the game. The result is that it feels like the game is saying, "sure it's dumb, but it doesn't matter because the original game was nonsense too, LOL!" It's the line of thought that resulted in Resident Evil 4 becoming (highly enjoyable) self-parody; but the old Resident Evils are slower-paced, deliberate and moodier games, and here it just makes you feel dumb for even trying to buy into the mood.

(...)
Capcom never knew what to do with RE's mood (RE4 included - the game changes its mood all the time), so I don't know why you care about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBobUcmynk&feature=youtu.be&t=4m37s

Lol.

Also, RE4 was highly enjoyable because of the combat. Don't pretend otherwise.

"I liked it because it was a self-parody" :roll:

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
You mean the only Resident Evil game that was ever good? :M

Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem is a better horror game than any of the oldschool Resident Evil games.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
No it isn't. Played it a couple of years ago using an emulator and it was ok but in no case as good as RE2.

Athelas

Arcane
I think it has quite a lot of flaws actually but it managed to actually generate an atmosphere of horror which I can't say any of the RE games ever remotely succeeded in.

Karellen

Arcane

Well, I didn't say I liked it because it was a self-parody. It was self-parody, though, and that didn't do the game any real harm because Resident Evil 4 was a (perfectly decent) funhouse ride that revolved around splattery set piece battles against large crowds of opponents or silly bosses (including a cave troll). The self-indulgent hamminess of it may or may not be funny, but it goes pretty well with the gameplay, such as it is.

The thing is, this isn't the case with the old Resident Evil games, which are much slower-paced games that are primarily about exploration and resource management. And exploring, as it turns out, is only fun if the place you're exploring is interesting. That requires good level design, obviously, but in a game where much of the player's time is spent examining and building a mental image of the environment, atmosphere is crucial as well. A game can get away with being implausible to a considerable extent, but if the mise-en-scène or overall tone of the game is slipshod or treated as a joke, at some point it becomes distracting and enjoyment suffers as a result. So when I say "old Resident Evil", I mean 1 and 2, specifically, which did a good job in playing to the strengths of the formula; Nemesis broke from the exploration and resource management aspects in an attempt to use the Resident Evil base mechanics to create an action game and largely failed, as far as I'm concerned, while Code Veronica, as you point out, was a nonsensical, distasteful piece of crap endowed with one of the most obnoxiously ridiculous male leads in a history of obnoxiously ridiculous Japanese male leads. Less said about Zero, the better.

bonescraper

Capcom never knew what to do with RE's mood (RE4 included - the game changes its mood all the time), so I don't know why you care about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBobUcmynk&feature=youtu.be&t=4m37s

Lol.

Yup, all the cheese in the original game was completely unintentional. The reason why RE was so "bad" is simple, it's a 1996 game. Back then games didn't have massive AAA budgets, all they could afford was thrid rate actors. And it's a Jap game, that's why the dialogues were so bad. Again, Japs back then didn't have a lot of experience in dialogue-heavy games for the international market.

Also, all the live-action sequences back then were terribad, yet very popular in that period... Gabriel Knight 2 (1995), Rebel Assault 2 (1995), Phantasmagoria 2 (1996), Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (1997) etc.

The REmake is probably way closer to the original idea than the PSX version ever was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom