Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

Ivan

Arcane
As much as I've grown to love RE2 and consider it among my top ten games ever, whenever someone brings it up, this is the first thing that comes to mind:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Emulated version is best version, because :tits:

tC6BKzP.jpg

Explorerbc

Arcane
Ok bros the only RE I've played in the past is 5, so I thought this would be similar.

I fire it up ready to kick some undead ass, enter the mansion, see my first zombie, takes the entire clip to kill, move on, find a dagger, lose the dagger on the second zombie's face, now I have no weapons and my character is almost dead. Those are the first 15 minutes of the game.

I am starting to think this series has changed more through the years than I originally believed.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Damn, this game is really good. I now understand why a lot of fans are raging about the transition to over the shoulder action shooter.

The spooky atmosphere was amazing in the first half of the game but starts to fade later on. It doesn't help that I picked the middle difficulty thinking it was normal but then I found out that the REmake's difficulties are very easy, easy, normal :argh:. I used to be concerned about ammunition, crimson heads etc initially but now I am just running around blasting lizardmen with the shotgun. I am also familiar with the lore a bit so there are no twists and surprises in the story like they should.

Still a very enjoyable experience, I hope they continue to make remakes like these (at least the new controls seem vastly superior), looking forward to playing the next ones.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I hope they continue to make remakes like these (at least the new controls seem vastly superior), looking forward to playing the next ones.

Sad thing is, REmake is the only one of its kind. They are remaking RE2 now but it's 2010s Capcom doing it. REmake was developed in 2002, before the series got actionized and this new release is just a HD remaster.

The fact that RE7 is apparently going to be less actiony is good sign but I will remain skeptical of all future remakes until nuCapcom proves us wrong.

Ash

Arcane
Emulated RE2 the other day. Still feel the same way as I always have: it's overrated and the least interesting of the classic 3. RE1 > RE3 > RE2.

Still a good game though.

Last edited:

vmar

Savant
Is there any recent news about REmake 2? The past week or so I've reverted to being 12 years old again and playing classic RE games all day long. I'm hyped for the remake but I just have that feeling that capcom is gonna fuck it up somehow, or just flat out turn it into an action game.

Also I had no idea that fans have been working on 1.5 to make it more playable, probably gonna mess around with it again soon.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is there any recent news about REmake 2? The past week or so I've reverted to being 12 years old again and playing classic RE games all day long. I'm hyped for the remake but I just have that feeling that capcom is gonna fuck it up somehow, or just flat out turn it into an action game.

Also I had no idea that fans have been working on 1.5 to make it more playable, probably gonna mess around with it again soon.

No news that I know of, but 1.5 has multiple projects running. I think one of them is nearing completion. 1.5 and REmake 2 are on my potential hype list.

Ash

Arcane
So it seems some disagree that RE1 > RE2. Let me slip on my monocle and explain why you're wrong:

-Resident Evil 2 offered no new gameplay innovations or iterations whatsoever over the first. Nada. Oh sorry, there's some scenario b rehash the campaign shit and an auto aim option. In fact, I think RE2's gameplay is minor decline, which will be explained in the coming points.
-I prefer RE1's (original non-shitty directors cut) soundtrack by a large margin. Subjective.
-RE1 offered a hard difficulty mode, RE2 didn't. RE1 was also more difficult in general, as any decent survival horror should be.
-RE1 was also simply more horrific. Everything is sparkly clean and well lit in RE2. The soundtrack didn't play much a role in making you shit your pants. New Monster design is pretty meh, 80% of it rehashed from the first, And the end boss in scenario A is...a dog mutation? Why'd the guy mutate into that? And why the fuck does Birkin then mutate into a fucking sea creature in Scenario B? Is this madness explained because I recall no mention of it. Lickers: awesome. Plant strain: cool but not quite shit your pants scary as many of the things in RE1. And lol, that Alligator boss is dumb as shit no matter what angle you look at it from.
-Puzzles. There's less of them, they're less interesting, and they're less challenging.

And that's about it.

Point in RE2's favor: better voice acting and English translation. Story I consider to be just as good in both.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Ok bros the only RE I've played in the past is 5, so I thought this would be similar.

I fire it up ready to kick some undead ass, enter the mansion, see my first zombie, takes the entire clip to kill, move on, find a dagger, lose the dagger on the second zombie's face, now I have no weapons and my character is almost dead. Those are the first 15 minutes of the game.

I am starting to think this series has changed more through the years than I originally believed.
Shit my exact feeling when I played REmake for the first time except I never played any RE game before it minus a few demos.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
REupscale project released a bit over a week ago.

It's another of those "use AI to enhance low resolution images" mods that has been used for a few weeks already to enhanced static backgrounds in games like Final Fantasy VII. In this particular case, I think the results look better than the real deal. Mostly because "the real deal" has already gone through an awful upscaling process that butchered the original textures. As the author himself says:

Some textures use the Gamecube original source (~90%) while others are upscaled from the HD Remastered texture (~10%).

Which explains why the mod looks better. I would still prefer if the author had simply used the GameCube original sources as an available download, but I'm going to check if there's a mod that already does just that.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
REupscale project released a bit over a week ago.

It's another of those "use AI to enhance low resolution images" mods that has been used for a few weeks already to enhanced static backgrounds in games like Final Fantasy VII. In this particular case, I think the results look better than the real deal. Mostly because "the real deal" has already gone through an awful upscaling process that butchered the original textures. As the author himself says:

Some textures use the Gamecube original source (~90%) while others are upscaled from the HD Remastered texture (~10%).

Which explains why the mod looks better. I would still prefer if the author had simply used the GameCube original sources as an available download, but I'm going to check if there's a mod that already does just that.

Yeah, I've done a run with this and it looks pretty good for the most part. I'd also recommend combining it with one of those renderer mods that lets you disable the remaster filter effects.

Combine the two and you'll get more detailed backgrounds with more accurate colours.

Something like:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/304240/discussions/0/350540973999781985/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom