Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
As derpy as RE5 is with ogre and kraken, I was enjoying it until the second tentacle boss.

Setting him on fire with incendiary grenades and the canisters made him reveal his weak spots, but with the flame thrower it never happened. Then after twenty minutes of derping he somehow died anyway.

I also derped twenty minutes against the huge spider because I was supposed to run up to his mouth and press a button to trigger a cinematic rather than just shooting it.

Also, fuck QTEs in the ass. Especially F+V.

As derpy as RE5 is with ogre and kraken, I was enjoying it until the second tentacle boss.

Setting him on fire with incendiary grenades and the canisters made him reveal his weak spots, but with the flame thrower it never happened. Then after twenty minutes of derping he somehow died anyway.

I also derped twenty minutes against the huge spider because I was supposed to run up to his mouth and press a button to trigger a cinematic rather than just shooting it.

Also, fuck QTEs in the ass. Especially F+V.

Rebind F/V keys to Q/E, its far more bearable. Whoever thought that QTEs should randomly change needs to have their balls removed, at least this way it only changes between A+D and Q+E.

That boss with the flamethrower is bullshit, the only boss that I will always 100% commit to cheesing with a rocket launcher to bypass everything. The whole setup just breaks the survival horror concept of bosses being a test of your ammo resources. It has way too much HP to actually fight with your limited ammo stores so instead you just have to run around for 10 mins with a flamethrower, and you have so little health reserve that 2 or 3 mistakes by you or the AI will force a restart.

Martius

Liturgist
Mercenaries mode is pretty decent if you want to just kill hordes of zombies in best way you can. Campaign not so much, although its full of some stupid moments. To bad it wasnt anything close to mercenaries.

Last edited:
The shooting mechanics are actually pretty decent. Better than your average popamole crap, and the dodges are pretty cool. The "enemy mutates differently depending where you shoot them" thing is cool. Problem is that the one and only RE survival horror element that Capcom decided to stick with was highly limited ammo supply and forcing players to melee, which really doesn't mesh well when half of the areas have some sort of sniper ready to take half your health off.

Should have made the Chris and Sherry campaigns in a spinoff title that was full shooter. Leon and Ada's campaigns start off quite nice but decline heavily when they get to China and get mixed in with the main story.

Machocruz

Arcane
RE6 was ok for the low price I got it for. Played it to 100%, which I need to start doing with games again instead of buying several and having them languish like STEAM whores do.

Spekkio's link covers a lot of the problems with the game. Most annoying to me was the shit FoV (on console). I found my character stumbling on or being obstructed by low objects because you can't see below hip height. And they give you a nice little stumbling animation in case you didn't feel like your time was being wasted enough. Also enjoy enemies leaping off-screen at your left side, "off-screen" meaning anything beyond a couple feet to your left. Second biggest grievance is stupid OTT set pieces and QTEs. The worst excesses of AAA popamole you will find here.

Game is kind of ugly, too. RE5 looks much better. Let me put it this way. RE5 is like a crisp Neo-Classical painting, while RE6 looks like a smudgy Goya knock-off. The latter may be more atmospheric, but it's till a smudgy Goya knock-off hanging on your wall.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, Capcom seems to be finally learning something about their audience - they're concentrating on the most important aspect of a RE game. Costumes.

gspy8-oxypQ.jpg

x5Ez4wdoYZE.jpg

:roll:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So, Resident Evil 0 is out tomorrow.

Anybody besides me getting this? I'm pretty excited for it. I loved the RE1 remake, and I think I will enjoy the RE0 one (obviously also the remake of RE2)

Did they add item boxes?
Why would want that you plebeian?

Also if they keep the weapons the same, then you should always use billy when you use the knife. Billy would always take one step back when reading his knife so if you fuck up by swinging too early you could just release and press the weapon ready trigger to get some breathing room. Also if you knife zombie legs as billy they fall down in two stabs, three if you're unlucky. Very useful in hard mode.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I didn't play this prequel back in the day, is it any good? I liked REmake a lot but I heard mixed things about this one, mainly the co-op mechanic being annoying and lots of backtracking to pick up items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom