Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

Deleted member 7219

Resident Evil 4 is even worse than I expected it to be. The aiming with cuntroller alone is fucking horrible.

Use a mouse then.

spekkio

Arcane
I don't understand, is spekkio compaining?
Who cares about Wesker. Now Jill - that would've been a different thing.

jill_valentine___battlesuit_by_ventrue533-d4qmgdh.jpg

:obviously:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The AI of Ashley was indeed horrible. Those quick sections with companions in RE 2 weren't so rage inducing from what I remember. At least in both Revelations Capcom made it easier for the player.

Picked up Revelations 2 since I heard it was good, and holy shit its amazing. Definitely the most competent plot (it's actually good sci fi added ontop of pretty good horror) and atmosphere (pretty much every area is top notch, though chapter 4 Barry is a bit weaker) in any RE game I've played so far. Sadly it was still too easy, both from clearly imba mouse aiming and even more imba abilities that let you kill 90% of enemies without wasting ammo, such that I ended up at the last boss having accidentally fired my magnum more times than I had fired it intentionally (I would not be surprised if people could get through entire chapters without firing a weapon outside of boss fights). It also could have used a bit fewer, larger, less linear locations. But the game was good enough that I'll let these complains slide. Definite must play, can't recommend it highly enough and will probably place on my best games of all time list.

That said, I'm interested in powering through the earlier pre-third person RE's, which I've never played outside of an attempt with RE1 remake aborted about 1/3rd (guessing) through because dolphin emulation was a piece of shit. Should I start again with RE1 or wait for RE0 remake and start there?

Also is Revelations 1 worth playing? I've heard it has huge problems on account of originally being designed for the 3DS and also simply being bad. On the other hand ghost ships and the Cthulhuian horrors look interesting.

Machocruz

Arcane
Rev 1 is p. good. No atmosphere to speak of, imo. Flat lighting. Starts off weak but it grew on me. So did Rev 2; hated the prison, but game only got better with each episode. You down Hunters by the hundreds though, so don't expect teh horror. And all the good stuff happens on the ship.

And you need RE1 Remake in your life bro.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
If you don't like RE4 then you'll probably hate RE5. All the same stuff from that game with forced co-op and popamole action.

And you need RE1 Remake in your life bro.

Yeah, I know. I still have my fixed camera angle tank control virginity and every time I've rubbed up against it I've squealed in pain and backed up. Gotta get one solid thrust in before I decide whether I'll enjoy it or never play it again. Which was supposed to happen years ago until Dolphin screwed me over.

You don't need RE0 plot-wise to enjoy RE1, which is much better game anyway.
RER1 is much weaker than RER2, but worth playing, if only for one thing...
My thoughs on RER1:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...u-wasting-time-on.50372/page-235#post-3727987

Thanks.

Also I just realized something cool about Rev2. The reason Natalia and Moira can "go down" and can't die is because they literally can't die, the virus would activate and transform them (which clearly can't be shown happening since it would spoil tons of shit as early as the first fight). But Claire? She can die because she's literally just too badass to feel fear even in death, the virus won't do shit.

Alex should have just jumped in the ep1 trash compacter. :troll:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
RE4: Separate Ways was p. fun and almost redeemed the base game. P. short and to the point and never overstaying its welcome.

I really respect RE5 for trying to make fully-fledged AI companions that act by the same rules players do (requires ammo, no magic invincibility or healing). Only thing they left out was grenade usage for obvious reasons. But RE5 just proves why this is a fatally flawed idea. If you ask someone how they liked Sheva there's a 50/50 chance they'll say she was a useless ammo waste never worth giving a gun to (harder difficulty levels), or completely OP and practically beat the game on her own (easier difficulty levels). To make it work you'd need some kind of skill-matching system, and probably no one would be happy if Sheva suddenly started playing poorly because the player played poorly.

Since then they've just pussied out and made AI characters invincible/infinite ammo. RE6 was the worst with this, the optimal strategy being to hide/run around while your partner dumps 50 rounds into every HP-bloated enemy to kill it.

Other than this I think the main complaints against RE5 from the RE4 crowd are that it wasn't at night and african zombies are raycist.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A good co-op partner in RE 5 was necessary for me to fully enjoy it. The computer was just wasting time and bullets, and since the later parts of the game were heavier on number of enemies, and they were more deadly I was glad that had a buddy to finish it. The most atrocious are duo QTE's. I've died more often thanks to them than in the normal parts of the game.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Since then they've just pussied out and made AI characters invincible/infinite ammo. RE6 was the worst with this, the optimal strategy being to hide/run around while your partner dumps 50 rounds into every HP-bloated enemy to kill it.
The AI deal less damage than a player (with the exception of those melee finishers that instakill enemies, of course).

It sounded like when you said "HP-bloated enemy".

They are HP bloated. In RE4/5 at least ammo conservation for your weaker weapons was only a real concern in the early game, when you were fighting enemies with pitchforks and machetes (i.e. easily meleeable), and by the time enemies with powerful ranged attacks showed up you'd be given enough ammo in respond in kind. Not so in RE6, you spend most of the game fighting enemies with guns and need to either charge through open gunfire to melee them or sit back and watch your friend play the popamole game.

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT THE SERIES WAS IMPROVING

To be honest it doesn't bother me if its a spinoff series. Capcom clearly wants to milk both horror and CoD genres, and brand recognition is everything to the latter genre, so they are pretty much obligated to make these games. RE6 wouldn't have bothered me either if it properly named Michael Bay presents Resident Evil: Devil May Gun Kata.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing is, this cannot be treated as a spin-off, because it has NOTHING about Resident Evil in it. I swear to god if I didn't know what am I watching at, I would have never told you that this is a RE game.

Ivan

Arcane

ugh I can already tell that the menu pop-up when picking up consumables is going to be so fucking annoying

RE1-3 did it perfectly with no pop-up

those tank controls at 5:10 LOL brother has never played RE1-3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom